PDA

View Full Version : Multiple item Keep or Toss

cntrymoon2
11-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Let me preface by saying I almost always fall on the Keep side of things. Expiration dates don't scare me. Made hardboiled eggs last week and accidentally left them out overnight- kept them anyway (haven't died yet). But, I have been away from home for a couple days, leaving DH to take care of the house. When I went over last night to pick up some things, I noticed the fridge was warmer than it should be. Found a thermometer and checked and the top shelf where things felt warmest read 60 degrees. It could have been like this for up to 3 days- or possibly just a few hours. I really don't know.

Here's my list of questionable items:
1 unopened, 1 opened quart of heavy cream
uncooked eggs
unopened cream cheese
precooked bacon- the refrigerated but precooked kind
preservative free, unopened chicken sausage
opened cream based dressings- ranch, blue cheese

My definite keep list is shredded cheese, juice, string cheese, oil based salad dressing, trader joe's peanut butter, all fruits and veggies.

Can anyone weigh in on what should definitely be tossed if I can't trust the 40 degree temp rule?

Thank you!

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I'd toss the sausage and probably the cream and creamy dressings. Keep the rest if they smell and look ok.

123LuckyMom
11-12-2013, 09:14 AM
I would smell the cream. If it smells okay, it's okay. Keep an eye on it, though, because it may spoil sooner rather than later. The cream cheese will be fine, I'm sure. If it smells bad when you open it, toss it then. Sadly, I would definitely toss the chicken sausage. The spices might mask any hint of smell, and cooking it through might not kill all the bacteria. I don't know about the eggs. My neighbors, who have chickens, keep their eggs on the kitchen counter in a bowl, but their eggs are fresh daily. I doubt they have eggs out for more than an overnight. I don't know why they don't put them in the fridge, but none of them has been sick yet, so I'm guessing they know something I don't. They keep their butter out, too. I would be worried about the eggs and toss them. I don't know about the bacon. If the cream based dressings are organic or homemade, I'd toss them. If they are Wishbone or similar, I bet they've got preservatives and will be fine. Taste some before serving. I agree with your keeps. All that stuff will be fine, but may spoil or rot a bit sooner than usual.

egoldber
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM
I would toss the salad dressings and probably the sausage although it would make me very very sad.

I would smell the dairy before using otherwise keep.

wellyes
11-12-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm sure the eggs are fine.
Not sure about the rest.

TwinFoxes
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I would toss the salad dressings and probably the sausage although it would make me very very sad.

I would smell the dairy before using otherwise keep.

Same here.

cntrymoon2
11-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you!

petesgirl
11-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I would smell the cream. If it smells okay, it's okay. Keep an eye on it, though, because it may spoil sooner rather than later. The cream cheese will be fine, I'm sure. If it smells bad when you open it, toss it then. Sadly, I would definitely toss the chicken sausage. The spices might mask any hint of smell, and cooking it through might not kill all the bacteria. I don't know about the eggs. My neighbors, who have chickens, keep their eggs on the kitchen counter in a bowl, but their eggs are fresh daily. I doubt they have eggs out for more than an overnight. I don't know why they don't put them in the fridge, but none of them has been sick yet, so I'm guessing they know something I don't. They keep their butter out, too. I would be worried about the eggs and toss them. I don't know about the bacon. If the cream based dressings are organic or homemade, I'd toss them. If they are Wishbone or similar, I bet they've got preservatives and will be fine. Taste some before serving. I agree with your keeps. All that stuff will be fine, but may spoil or rot a bit sooner than usual.

I have heard that fresh eggs that haven't been washed are okay not refrigerated. Once they have been washed you remove a protective coating on the egg that makes it spoil faster. Store bought eggs, of course, are washed before packaging.