PDA

View Full Version : Singing the praises of Hanna

TwoBees
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I avoided Hanna Andersson for a long time, thinking the price was not worth it for clothes that would be worn to daycare/preschool. I bought two items from their first Zulily sale over the summer and wasn't thrilled. Cute, but overpriced, I thought.

Recently my mom was able to stop at an outlet (there are none near me) and picked up some leggings and a playdress. I have since ordered more leggings and more dresses. I am now officially obsessed. Hanna leggings are the first pair of pants I have found for DD that do not need a tuck in the waist to fit her. Well worth the $20 IMO because cheaper pants usually sit around for a good month before I have time to take a tuck. DD loves the leggings and the dresses because they are so soft and comfy, and wants to wear them all the time. Miss Andersson, I :bowdown: to you.

lizzywednesday
11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I find that my DD's Hanna stuff doesn't hold stains as badly as her OshKosh and Carter's stuff. Also, if you sign up for e-mails, you can hit it whenever it's on sale - recently, we got a playdress for $19 (normally they are $32) and coordinating loose-fit leggings for $14 (normally they are $22) because the stores were running a playdresss deal PLUS 20% off pretty much everything in the store. (The only exceptions were the Star Wars/Disney PJs which I'm not usually buying in-store anyway.)

We also love the rib-knit loose-fit tights. DD has worn those every Christmas for the past 3 years.

FTR, they have run free shipping on orders placed on Thanksgiving for the past 2 years, so if you are looking to order, you might want to sign up for e-mails & keep your eyes open.

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Glad you found some good stuff. I like the way HA holds up but it is the wrong cut for my tall, slim DD1. The dresses are usually super short or like a tent on her. dD2 is pudgier and their stuff works but if I am gonna to buy something $, I want both girls to be able to wear it.

TwoBees
11-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Glad you found some good stuff. I like the way HA holds up but it is the wrong cut for my tall, slim DD1. The dresses are usually super short or like a tent on her. dD2 is pudgier and their stuff works but if I am gonna to buy something $, I want both girls to be able to wear it.

Interesting! DD is super skinny and tall for her weight.

westwoodmom04
11-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I agree that Hanna Andersson is generally not good for tall, slim girls, so if your daughter can wear their pants/leggings now, enjoy it while it lasts. The leggings always fit my dd like regular pants. Pants are generally cut wide and short and many of the dress styles are wide. That said, we did well with jackets and shirts for a long time, plus a dress here and there (the play dresses always worked when she was in that stage). Wish they offered slim sizes, but we have aged out of Hanna anyway (except for the pjs, which we love).

robinsmommy
11-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I have two slender girls, and while it is true that most of the hanna bottoms will not fit in the waist (or much of anywhere else, as they are known as a good brand for rounder kids), the leggings (cotton and spandex ones) do. I've been trying other leggings (Naartjie, TCP, Gymbo, LE etc) and Hanna and Gymbo are the only ones that fit well without tucking the waist. And the Gymbo don't hold up as well. Haven't tried Tea yet, but there are only so many leggings out there, I am glad these are an option.

The Polarn O. Pyret do have an adjustable waist on their leggings, but are pretty spendy and hard to return. Does anybody know if Costco still carries any leggings from Hanna?

anonomom
11-12-2013, 11:22 AM
This is what I love about Hanna -- somehow the same styles look equally cute on big-for-her-age DD1 and tiny/skinny DD2. And they fit forever -- DD2 wore a pair of sizw 80 leggings yesterday. She's almost 5!

wellyes
11-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Hanna is all wrong for my skinny kid too - but - if it works for yours, great! It's nice when a clothing brand just 'clicks' with a kid, size and style wise. For me it's been Next Direct. It's so good to not even bother shopping around and mix-and-matching anymore.

I met a 4 year old girl just last week who was head-to-toe Hanna including her jacket. She was 4 and her mom said she (the mom) didn't like the style but the kid LOVED their stuff. Go with it!

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Hanna is all wrong for my skinny kid too - but - if it works for yours, great! It's nice when a clothing brand just 'clicks' with a kid, size and style wise. For me it's been Next Direct. It's so good to not even bother shopping around and mix-and-matching anymore.

I met a 4 year old girl just last week who was head-to-toe Hanna including her jacket. She was 4 and her mom said she (the mom) didn't like the style but the kid LOVED their stuff. Go with it!

Next Direct is our favorite too

musicalgrl
11-12-2013, 01:26 PM
We are big Hanna fans here, too. I love how the clothes wash and wear...and DD loves how comfortable everything is. Win-win!

TxCat
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
We are big Hanna fans here, too. I love how the clothes wash and wear...and DD loves how comfortable everything is. Win-win!

:yeahthat: DD1 is tall and thin, but proportional, and HA seems to fit her very well. I also agree that it holds up much better than most other brands we've tried, and washes more easily. The only thing I've noticed is that capri leggings and shorts don't fit her very well, but the regular leggings do.

citymama
11-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Subscribe to their email list for outlet sales - I never pay more than $10 for their leggings! Even with shipping, it works out more economical to shop the outlet sales (if you are willing to buy one season ahead, you can even get Hanna at Old Navy prices ;)).

AnnieW625
11-12-2013, 02:44 PM
My DD1 lived in Hanna playdress sets (both shorts, and leggings) from 18 months until she was 6, and still loves a few of the tunics and the bike shorts. DD2 is still wearing playdresses.

Both of my girls are on the skinny side and they have never complained about the fit of the clothes, although I have never had good luck with their tops because they are too boxy, and the jeans are always too big in the waist, and the knit jeans would work fine, but I don't like the feel of them. DD1 wore a lot of bike shorts with other brands of tee shirts, or more fitted items like holiday dresses (although we have a sweater dress that is still huge!) I still buy a summer dress or two a year for DD1, but other than that she has outgrown Hanna, except for maybe a heavy jacket. She has found she likes Hanes Premium briefs as much as the Hanna underwear as well so that is nice too (and saves us a bunch).

DD1 was in a size 100 from 3.5 until she was 5.5, and can still easily wear a size 110 bike short now with no problem. Her winter coat that she rarely wears these days (she has a school uniform coat) is a 110 and it still fits her. I have a feeling DD2 will be about the same size wise as DD1 was.

Sadly I am not that big of a fan of the Hanna style anymore (I just can't pin point it, but it isn't nearly as cute or unique as it once was, and I think it is priced higher now than it once was and their end of season sales stink because they send everything to the outlet now, and outlet shopping has become popular and can be a big PITA sometimes) so I haven't bought as much at all for DD2 except for items off Ebay that I know I like the style of or were favorites that have since been outgrown and I want the next size up.

eta: we love the long johns and short johns. That is one thing I will usually buy site un seen from an outlet sale and have luck getting. DD1's favorite short johns are the mermaid rock stars from this past winter or early spring. I have never paid more than $20-$22 for the long ones, and never more than $18 for the short ones during an outlet sale. That, and the fleece lined parka are what I will call the outlets for, have also had luck with the classic briefs from the outlet as well.

kmkaull
11-12-2013, 04:42 PM
My 4-year-old DS is now a Hanna PJ snob. They are all he will wear. I have come to terms with the price tag (even the more expensive Star Wars stuff) because it lasts forever. The Christmas jammies I bought last year (and worn 2-3 times a week) still look perfect and will fit for at least another 6 months.

Just bought my first playdress and leggings set for my 4-month-old. Love it a little too much! I need to figure out how to work the outlets.

fedoragirl
11-12-2013, 04:52 PM
My DD is tall and skinny and the leggings and PDs look cute on her. I do have to size up leggings and yes, they fit like pants but not as loose.
I still buy Hanna PDs, leggings and PJs even though I live overseas now. LOL

twowhat?
11-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Love the quality, agree that the cut is so boxy!!! I think that part of it is they use this pretty tight knit for their tees and dresses that aren't all that stretchy. The fabric wears like iron but is not very forgiving size-wise unless it's boxy so yeah, dresses look like tents on my kids if I buy them to be long enough. Even on their models I think a lot of the clothes look boxy. Compare that to things like Gap tees that have a LOT of stretch to them.

My favorites have been the loose leggings and playdresses because the knits on those are very soft and pretty stretchy ribbed cotton. I just wish the playdresses were longer because by the time they fit my girls in width, they're too short both in the sleeves and the length!

Also love the bike shorts (the stripes, not the solids. The stripes are way softer/stretchier and wear just as well) and the pajamas (again, a thick, very soft, and stretchy knit in stripes - not prints). I wish they'd make some dresses and tees using the same kind of fabric that they use for their pajamas and their playdresses!

123LuckyMom
11-12-2013, 05:20 PM
This was the first season since I've had children that I've been tempted by Hanna, but this year, I bought a lot!!! I don't do head to toe, though. I like the super colorful dresses (which I thought were two short on DD, so I bought leggings from The Children's Place, and I use them like tunics. I bought a colorful blouse DD wears with dark jeans and a great sweater from the Gap, a couple of pairs of crazy tights she wears with denim skirts/jumpers from Gap, and several wool dresses. I really loved the wool dresses this year! With the prints, it's the unusual, colorful nature of them that grabbed me. I'm waiting to see if I continue to be a fan.