PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning vomit out of couch (sorry- TMI!)

mm123
11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
DD1 vomited all over one of the cushions of the couch this morning. Ugh. Surprisingly, this is the first time this has happened!

It's not a removable cover, so I unfortunately can't throw it in the washing machine. I tried to clean it as best I could with wipes, a sponge and dishsoap. It looks ok, but still has the smell. Don't know what to call the fabric, but kind of a ribbed chenille?

Any suggestions to clean it better, or at least get the smell out? Or will it just take time? Not my area of 'expertise'.

wendibird22
11-12-2013, 12:55 PM
I would use a pet cleaner on it (usually have odor neutralizing properties) and then probably go over with a steam cleaner that has an upholstery attachment (our hoover does but I think the "rug doctor" rental versions do too). If it's sunny outside and the cushion is removable I'd put the cushion outside to dry.

Hope your DD feels better soon.

ETA: I've done this when our dog puked on the couch.

ha98ed14
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Nature's Miracle. You can get it at Target in the carpet cleaning section (Resolve, Spot Shot area). If you do that a couple times and it still smells, follow it with some Febreeze (sp?).

brittone2
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
DD1 vomited all over one of the cushions of the couch this morning. Ugh. Surprisingly, this is the first time this has happened!

It's not a removable cover, so I unfortunately can't throw it in the washing machine. I tried to clean it as best I could with wipes, a sponge and dishsoap. It looks ok, but still has the smell. Don't know what to call the fabric, but kind of a ribbed chenille?

Any suggestions to clean it better, or at least get the smell out? Or will it just take time? Not my area of 'expertise'.

Try an enzyme cleaner. Nature's Miracle or BioKleen Bac Out. I can find Bac Out in the small organic section of my regular old grocery store these days. The enzymes break down anything biological, so it works well on blood, vomit, urine, and other loveliness . Definitely, definitely helps with the smell, and not just by covering it up. It literally breaks down the biological stuff causing the smell.

musicalgrl
11-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Nature's Miracle, for sure. It's a lifesaver for things like that.

twowhat?
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Nature's Miracle. You can get it at Target in the carpet cleaning section (Resolve, Spot Shot area).

Yup. If there is a stain, spray and blot until stain is lifted. Then SOAK the area - enough so the Nature's Miracle goes all the way through into the foam cushions, as deep as you think the vomit has soaked. Let it sit wet for a few hours to work on the smell and set it outside on a sunny day to dry (if that's possible). Once completely dry, vacuum up any remaining vomit bits stuck in the fabric. If you soaked it good and deep enough, smell should disappear.

You can buy a gallon jug of NM at Petsmart. We always keep that on hand (in addition to the spray bottle) because you really need the jug to soak for accidents like that.

YouAreTheFocus
11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I agree that you need a jug (or more!) of an enzyme cleaner. It may take multiple rounds of soaking. To give it a boost also sprinkle baking soda (a fair amount) on the cushion after you've soaked it. Then when it's totally dry vacuum it off.

sariana
11-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Will Nature's Miracle work on leather and plastics? DS threw up in the car on Sunday, and the smell is still there. There is no fabric, just the leather seat and the various plastics that make up the door. I swapped out his booster seat, so it's not that, either.

(He's 9, and this is the first time this ever has happened to us!)

twowhat?
11-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Will Nature's Miracle work on leather and plastics? DS threw up in the car on Sunday, and the smell is still there. There is no fabric, just the leather seat and the various plastics that make up the door. I swapped out his booster seat, so it's not that, either.

(He's 9, and this is the first time this ever has happened to us!)

There are probably bits of vomit left over in crevices/etc - I bet that's contributing the most to the smell. I bet NM would help - I would spray the whole area, wipe WELL (try to get into all the crevices), then spray again and let it dry without wiping it up.

mm123
11-12-2013, 09:40 PM
OP here. Thanks so much for the suggestions- I knew people on here would know what to do! I'm going to pick up some "Nature's Miracle" tomorrow and try it out.