PDA

View Full Version : How painful do you find laser hair treatments to be?

mommylamb
11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I recently had laser hair removal done on my upper lip, and I swear, I didn't find it painful in the slightest bit. To me, it felt like when they test you for glaucoma at the eye doctor with that puffer thing, only on my lip instead of my eye (I really hate that on my eye). Given my experience, my sister decided to have her lip done at the same place. And, well her pain experience was really different than mine :sulkoff:. She found it to be super painful. I have a relatively high threshold for pain, but not unheard of by any means. For perspective, I could have kissed my anesthesiologist when I was in labor, that's how grateful I was for that epidural. And when I say I didn't find laser removal on my lip painful, I mean, not at all. I find waxing to be far more painful. I just think it's bizarre that we had such drastically different experiences.

So, if you've had laser hair removal done, on a scale of 1-10, where 1 is not at all painful and 10 is a labor contraction, how would you rate your experience?

And even more importantly, if you didn't find it painful when you did a small area, did you find a larger area more painful? I ask because, given my good experience with my lip, I just signed up for 6 sessions on my bikini line! Yikes!

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2013, 03:43 PM
It was a different type of pain as compared to labor, but I find labor pain something I can handle a bit better. This felt like my lip was being electrocuted and I had tears running down my face. I have been waxing for year and never once have I cried from it. It isn't like i won't go back for the rest of my treatments (since I've paid for 6 already), but I would take a glaucoma test any day of the week over having my lip electrocuted. When they did the skin near my nose...seriously, it is a good thing I don't know any national secrets because I would have spilled them in a heart beat.

mommylamb
11-12-2013, 03:49 PM
So there you have it, folks. Two drastically different perspectives on the same procedure at the same place.

AnnieW625
11-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I so want my bikini line done,but with my luck it will hurt like crazy and I'll still get razor burn from it (the reason I don't get waxed....I get razor bumps from it!:shake:) so I am too chicken to even try.

luli13
11-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I have done my bikini (not Brazilian, but a standard bikini with a little extra hair removal by my vagina so bathing suit bottoms wouldn't show hair) and underarms. Bikini felt like waxing so I score it a 5/6- it was semi-painful along the sides and tops but towards the bottom I really had to squeeze the squeezie ball! I think I actually shouted out a few times. My underarms were about a 4. It really felt to me like a rubber band snapping really hard on my skin. All this to say I would do it ALL again (and probably more areas in the future) in a heartbeat. Zero regrets.

Globetrotter
11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
It hurt like heck, even with a topical anesthetic and tylenol! I tried to schedule for mid-cycle, and that helped. I hear the newer lasers are better, but I don't know firsthand.

indigo99
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I've never been waxed so I can't compare, but I had my expanded bikini line done. I used topical anestheticso the beginning wasn't too bad, but it wore off quickly. I'd compare each zap to a shot which is bearable, but it gets to be a bit much after you get them repeatedly all together.

TwinFoxes
11-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Is it possible that they used different types of lasers on you? Usually places have a few different types I think. Or, maybe a higher setting?

ShanaMama
11-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I apparently have a pretty high pain tolerance & I rated it a 3. (I don't know why all pain is always rated against labor, but I've given birth twice with Pitocin & no Epidural. I don't consider myself a saint, it's just something I was able to do, but referencing that for the ubiquitous labor comparison. )
I don't really find lasering painful per se, more uncomfortable. I would say that lip is one of the most sensitive areas, especially nose hairs. Oww! Bikini is really a walk in the park compared to lip/ nose.
One difference between you & your sister may be the technician/ equipment. Did you go to the same place? I was finding one session more uncomfortable than usual & she told me she had just changed to a new cartridge.

I just bought the Bella Lite self lasering kit from Costco. We'll see how I do with inflicting this on myself!

cono0507
11-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I've done 3 sessions on my bikini line so far and signed up for underarms and legs now too.
Yep it is painful, as in it brought tears to my eyes each time but not painful enough to make the technician stop or to keep me from coming back. Love the results.

pinkmomagain
11-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I voted a 2. I have a high tolerance for pain.

jerseygirl07067
11-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I've had it done on my hairline in the back of my neck, due to a long hairline that goes all the way down my neck, lol. Hairstylists could never figure out what to do with it when I've had updos!! Ponytails always looked messy due to this issue. Laser hair removal was the best money ever spent!

Anyway, about the pain....I can't even compare it to labor, because it is shorter lasting. It literally felt like a flame touching my skin in 30-40 short bursts. It was not sustained like a contraction and while the pain was incredibly sharp, it was much easier to tolerate imo. I just gritted my teeth to bear it, and it was over in like 2-3 minutes. They paused the laser as needed too, just to give me a break. Honestly, I have good pain tolerance, or so I thought until labor. I was in agony even when I was only a few cm dilated. Thank goodness for meds and spinals!! Then I passed kidney stone, which was even worse, think of a super intense labor contraction that doesn't let up for a few hours. I would take the laser hair removal anyday over the other two!!

But this is probably a very subjective question too...you'll get a myriad of responses for sure. :)

SASM
11-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Depends on the time of the month. Upper lip is the most sensitive area but it is PAINFUL during AF. I always have to squeeze something. :)

mommylamb
11-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I apparently have a pretty high pain tolerance & I rated it a 3. (I don't know why all pain is always rated against labor, but I've given birth twice with Pitocin & no Epidural. I don't consider myself a saint, it's just something I was able to do, but referencing that for the ubiquitous labor comparison. )
I don't really find lasering painful per se, more uncomfortable. I would say that lip is one of the most sensitive areas, especially nose hairs. Oww! Bikini is really a walk in the park compared to lip/ nose.
One difference between you & your sister may be the technician/ equipment. Did you go to the same place? I was finding one session more uncomfortable than usual & she told me she had just changed to a new cartridge.

I just bought the Bella Lite self lasering kit from Costco. We'll see how I do with inflicting this on myself!

I referenced labor because, since this is a parenting board with mostly women. I thought it was an experience that the majority of us have in common, so I figured people could relate. given the audience, I thought it made more sense to make the labor comparison, than say a kidney stone (which I haven't had, though I've heard is a serious ouch).

BabyBearsMom and I went to the same place for this. I assume they used the same laser, but maybe not?? I had 3 treatments on my lip, most likely at different times of the month, and didn't find it even slightly painful any of those times. Including the hairs right near my nose. I didn't even find it uncomfortable. And trust me, can be a wimp sometimes.

Glad to hear that bikini is easier than lip. Please report back on the Bella Lite!! I am really tempted to get that. I feel like laser hair removal is like piercings or tattoos... it becomes addictive. (Or maybe I'm just some sort of masochist. For the record, I have no tattoos).

ShanaMama
11-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I referenced labor because, since this is a parenting board with mostly women. I thought it was an experience that the majority of us have in common, so I figured people could relate. given the audience, I thought it made more sense to make the labor comparison, than say a kidney stone (which I haven't had, though I've heard is a serious ouch).

BabyBearsMom and I went to the same place for this. I assume they used the same laser, but maybe not?? I had 3 treatments on my lip, most likely at different times of the month, and didn't find it even slightly painful any of those times. Including the hairs right near my nose. I didn't even find it uncomfortable. And trust me, can be a wimp sometimes.

Glad to hear that bikini is easier than lip. Please report back on the Bella Lite!! I am really tempted to get that. I feel like laser hair removal is like piercings or tattoos... it becomes addictive. (Or maybe I'm just some sort of masochist. For the record, I have no tattoos).

Oops, I didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't being snarky about the labor reference. I really don't get why everyone does it but it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Probably because after I share my labor experience in a completely unrelated conversation the typical reaction is gushy disbelief. I had 3 inductions with no epidurals & I don't seem to be fazed. I'm not looking for any medals and I don't go around bragging about my births. It's what worked for me, others do what works for them. I end up feeling like I have to justify myself because I must be absolutely crazy to be induced with no epidural, multiple times no less.I hate the over the top reactions.
Ok, off my soapbox & ready to test drive the Bella Lite. I'll let you know how it goes. Interestingly, the instructions tell you to do it every 2 weeks at first. I laser every 6 weeks. So I'm thinking it must really be a weaker laser. But for $200 on sale @ Costco the entire machine was cheaper than one laser session so I couldn't not try it.

mommylamb
11-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Oops, I didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't being snarky about the labor reference. I really don't get why everyone does it but it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Probably because after I share my labor experience in a completely unrelated conversation the typical reaction is gushy disbelief. I had 3 inductions with no epidurals & I don't seem to be fazed. I'm not looking for any medals and I don't go around bragging about my births. It's what worked for me, others do what works for them. I end up feeling like I have to justify myself because I must be absolutely crazy to be induced with no epidural, multiple times no less.I hate the over the top reactions.
Ok, off my soapbox & ready to test drive the Bella Lite. I'll let you know how it goes. Interestingly, the instructions tell you to do it every 2 weeks at first. I laser every 6 weeks. So I'm thinking it must really be a weaker laser. But for $200 on sale @ Costco the entire machine was cheaper than one laser session so I couldn't not try it.

Sorry if I sounded snarky too.

Someone on another thread said that the Bella Lite was "pulsed light" not an actual laser, which probably explains the greater frequency allowable, I guess??? I'm very intrigued.

lmh2402
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
i have my last of six sessions for underarm and bikini this coming Sat

I actually haven't found it that bad. there were times when I almost jumped off the table, but overall it wasn't awful and I never really had discomfort afterward

next up is my leg from knee down if I can swing it. would LOVE to not have to shave as often.

Twoboos
11-13-2013, 12:04 PM
I found it very painful. I did upper lip and bikini and they both killed, and I had been waxing for year and years (even doing my lip myself) before lasering. Totally worth it though.

mommylamb
11-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm wondering if maybe they have to use a different strength laser on different people because of coloring. BBM and I are both olive skinned, but my skin tone is a bit lighter than hers, and my hair is a bit darker than hers, so there is more contrast between my hair and skin than she has. So maybe they had to use a stronger laser on her???

BabbyO
11-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I've had full legs, bikini, and underarms all done over the last 10 yrs. I've had at least 3 different lasers used on me and I will say this; It depends on the laser and the setting. If you (or your sister) are that uncomfortable during the treatment, you should ask the tech to turn it to a lower setting. They usually do a test setting or two on me when new lasers are being used AND they always ask me how much discomfort I have.

If it is your first procedure, ask that they do a test setting or two. You probably want to have some discomfort, or it will take MANY treatments to see the full effects.

mmsmom
11-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I just had laser done today on my upper lip and forehead/between eyebrows. I rated it as a 7 but it is very quick pain so tolerable. I went to a "medspa" that supposedly has one of only 2 of these special super duper lasers in a several state area. They no longer use numbing cream because this laser goes deeper than the numbing cream works and so they don't feel it helps at all and may decrease the effectiveness of the laser. The technician said the type and amount of hair is related to the pain level. This was definitely the case for me... I felt it more on the parts where I had more hair. She said the subsequent treatments will not be as painful because there will be less hair. She also said I could shave ahead of time (they use clippers so there is still hair visible to the laser) and that may make the laser less painful too. However it was quick, tolerable and I will go back for 4 more treatments and will also consider getting bikini done.

Globetrotter
11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm wondering if maybe they have to use a different strength laser on different people because of coloring. BBM and I are both olive skinned, but my skin tone is a bit lighter than hers, and my hair is a bit darker than hers, so there is more contrast between my hair and skin than she has. So maybe they had to use a stronger laser on her???

I think that's the issue. They have to use a stronger laser on me since I have brown skin.