PDA

View Full Version : Maggots & Larvae found in food pouches

maybeebaby08
11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Has anyone else seen this video? A friend posted it. There were maggots & larvae in an Organic Earths Best food pouch.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=709510312394140&id=100000055342829&_rdr

AngB
11-12-2013, 08:25 PM
It can happen with any food pouch type food. A couple years ago there was a big story about them on our news having mold, in Ella's Kitchen pouches.

Here is the link with a video with the mold chunks in Ella's Kitchen pouches..http://archive.ksdk.com/news/health/article/280777/9/Mom-finds-chunks-of-mold-in-organic-baby-food

jerseygirl07067
11-12-2013, 08:29 PM
When I was in college my roommate opened a packet of oatmeal with live maggots in it. She didn't realize until she was halfway through eating it!! There were also some other food we found with the maggots in it. My guess is her parents probably got them from the same dollar store where everything had been sitting around a while.

To this day, I always check oatmeal before I eat it!!

maybeebaby08
11-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I heard about the juice pouches a year or so ago and really don't buy them anymore. This has me so grossed out! I usually don't buy the food pouches but the thought of something crawling in it, I won't be buying any more.

citymama
11-12-2013, 08:59 PM
oh.my.god. DD2 gets a TJs Crusher in her lunch box every day. Eeek!

AnnieW625
11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Another product I am soo glad that I have never once bought because I am too cheap to buy them (although DD1 did eat one the other day at the park, I think it was the TJ's ones that a friend gave her).

(Oh wait I did buy some pouches once for a plane flight because I figured the TSA wouldn't hassle me about them (but they did) and I still had to open them and test them (thankfully they didn't explode due to altitude and they gave me a baggy for them).)

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2013, 10:12 PM
:barf: No words!!!!

viba424
11-12-2013, 11:23 PM
I just got six emails from amazon about recalled Plum Organics pouches!

MamaMolly
11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

TxCat
11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
:barf: No words!!!!

:barf: Exactly. I feel ill. DD1 loves her applesauce pouches from WF. Guess I won't be buying those anymore...

hellokitty
11-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Ew! I just threw out our plum organics pouchs and after dh and the kids finish up the applesauce pouches, I am never buying pouches again. Just gross.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-13-2013, 03:01 PM
OMG, yuck!!! :( there was the plum organics recall, regarding possible food spoilage, but now this???

this makes me glad that i no longer buy these pouches anymore, and instead i make the kiddos smoothies with Vitamix and send them to school in their Sili Squeeze. after making the smoothie i pour into sili squeeze, put them in the freezer, then in the morning i pack it with the lunch and it thaws enough for them to eat it. i also use them for road trips etc. i mainly started doing it bc i couldn't stand to pay over a dollar for these things.

www.thesilico.com.

YouAreTheFocus
11-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Has there been any sort of official confirmation of this woman's claim?

♥ms.pacman♥
11-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Has there been any sort of official confirmation of this woman's claim?
well there's this.
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/earthsbest.asp

thing is, it's just so new though, it happened two days ago.

still, with the plum organics recall, i definitely won't be buying these again!!

Snow mom
11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Can someone explain what the inherent danger of the pouches is? Is it just that you can't see the food? We don't buy the squeeze packages based on the price and unrecyclable packaging but DD is constantly begging for them. Apparently she's the only child on earth to be deprived of eating from a pouch :rolleye0014:

twotimesblue
11-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't been put off buying these things?? My DS1 still loves pouches at 3.5 (he doesn't even get fruit ones, just veg combos like carrot and broccoli): I find it so useful to have some to hand when he demands a quick snack, and I love that he's upping his veg intake without even realizing. He's a great eater, luckily, but you can never have too much of a good thing IMO!

The Plum Organics spoilage issue is concerning (but from my understanding only a small number of pouches were affected - none of the ones I had in my stash had 'bad' batch codes, and I think the affected pouches would have looked noticeably swollen). Also the Earth's Best insect thing is totally gross but again these things happen all.the.time in all kinds of foodstuffs.

I opened a new box of organic spinach linguine last week and nearly threw up when I saw black beetles crawling all over the pasta! The second box was also infested - just gross. I took pictures, disposed of the product and went back to the store I'd purchased the products from: the manager refunded me, and although apologetic she also reminded me that the more 'natural' a product is, with fewer pesticides etc, the more likely you are to encounter bugs and the like. It made sense. Still skeeved me out, but I won't stop buying pasta!

TwinFoxes
11-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't been put off buying these things??

Nope. I don't think there's a problem inherent in pouches. I'm not sure I buy that woman's story.

KLD313
11-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Nope. I don't think there's a problem inherent in pouches. I'm not sure I buy that woman's story.

Agree, I don't see thr big deal, things happen. We don't even know if it has anything to do with manufacturing or the store that sold them or if shes telling the truth.

YouAreTheFocus
11-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Agree, I don't see thr big deal, things happen. We don't even know if it has anything to do with manufacturing or the store that sold them or if shes telling the truth.

:yeahthat:

I am skeptical as well. And even if it is true, it wouldn't make me swear off pouches for life. Like the PP with the pasta story--it's not like I'd never eat pasta again. Our fridge was re-stocked w/ Chobani soon after that hullabaloo blew over.

mackmama
11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
I buy a lot of pouches and will probably continue to do so. Turns out I did have some Plum recalled products though (that were eaten) so that's a bummer. No ill effects so far though.

elliput
11-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Earth's Best/Hain Celestial CEO has a post up on FB about this incident and their response.

https://www.facebook.com/EarthsBestOrganic/posts/10151685807172257 (https://www.facebook.com/EarthsBestOrganic/posts/10151685807172257)

llama8
11-13-2013, 09:59 PM
My kids love pouches and I would not give up pouches over a small issue. The Plum recall was small and I had none of the affected pouches and the Earth's best video was denounced by EB and the women would not give the company the pouch to test, so I doubt that was real.

I once found a bug baked into a pretzel in a bag of pretzels from the store, but I didn't swear off pretzels. These things happen.

queenmama
11-13-2013, 10:26 PM
What pouches would you all recommend? They didn't have such things when Henry was little but we're having a hard time getting Agnes to eat any foods. We don't have TJs or WF here.

Lara

twotimesblue
11-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Lara, Plum Organics have some great, veggie-only flavors such as roasted carrot, spinach and beans and kale, sweetcorn and quinoa that both of my kiddos just love. I buy them on Subscribe & Save from Amazon (20% off for 5 items I believe?) and sometimes I can get them for less than $1/piece. Happy Baby and Ella's Kitchen also have some good flavors, like a vegetable bake and Four Bean Feast - I try to keep the fruity ones to a minimum as I don't want them to always associate snacking with sweet things. Oh, and I really like the Mama Chia pouches myself - scored a deal on some from Costco and they're quite yummy!

maybeebaby08
11-14-2013, 06:29 AM
This was just an eye opener to me because the only time I buy the pouches is if we're at the store and DDs are starving and need a quick snack so I don't check inside. You can't see inside the pouches just like juice boxes. At home we use Silisqueezes and Squooshis. If I found a bug in pasta that's different I could see it as 99% of the food we eat, you can see it clearly. It does deter me from buying any pouches because it makes me squeamish.