PDA

View Full Version : NOVA moms-ISO gift to help out friend w/ husband in ICU

Starfish
11-13-2013, 02:04 AM
I have a friend whose husband is now in the ICU with a brain hemorrhage and recurrence of cancer. Since she will probably be spending a lot of time in the hospital, I would like to give her some gift certificate for some restaurants in the area of Fairfax Hospital or perhaps some home delivery of meals. She lives in Woodbridge. Can anyone make some recommendations? TIA!

egoldber
11-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Very close to the hospital is Grevey's (sports bar but the food is decent), Starbucks, Sweetwater Tavern (medium-scale local chain), Wendy's, Panda Express, and Chevy's.

A tiny bit further is this place. http://www.mosaicdistrict.com/

There is a Target, Panera, Silver Diner, Chipotle, Noodles&Co. and several non-chain restaurants as well. Search for restaurants in 22031 and 22042 for the closest places.

TwinFoxes
11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Beth has it covered re:restaurants. You might consider gas cards too, Woodbridge to the hospital is not a short distance if she's driving a lot (but maybe she's just staying at the hospital?). BTW, it's called INOVA Fairfax, in case anyone you talk to is confused by Fairfax Hospital.

P&PT for them.

MamaMolly
11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Nothing to add but P&PT.

OKKiddo
11-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Beth covered restaurants well and I second TwinFoxes rec for gas cards. I live in Woodbridge too and while it may not look all that far away on a map, Inova in Fairfax is a bit of a drive (made worse by the traffic and stop lights that you live your entire life at). So you burn a lot more gas than you ever think you would when you're idling in traffic or sitting at a light. Prayers for your friend and her husband.

ETA: Does your friend have any pets? I was reminded of a very handy service as the dog walker passed my house Bow Wow Meow has a really good service for helping with pets or just watering plants and bringing in the paper: http://www.bowwowmeowva.com/

Or there's Doody Calls for that pooper scooping service that she might not have much time or energy for: www.doodycalls.com

egoldber
11-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes, the drive from Woodbridge to Fairfax to along 95 is probably one of the worst commutes in the DC area. A gas card would be a great help.

kcimato
11-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Lost Dog Cafe in the Mosaic district.

3blackcats
11-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Just checking that it's Inova Fairfax not Inova Fair Oaks (which is also in Fairfax). Jason's deli by Fair Oaks delivers to the surrounding area.

SASM
11-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Great suggestions regarding food, gas, and pet sitting! I second Grevey's. It has been a while since I last ate there but, if I remember correctly, they had some pretty yummy wings (and I am VERY picky about my wings). Sending many prayers their way. :(

Starfish
11-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks so much for the info! It's been a while since I lived down in VA and I know the area has changed a lot.

Pretty sure he's at INOVA Fairfax....so hard to be far away, knowing that your friend is having a tough time and wanting to help. Thanks again for the P&PT!