PDA

View Full Version : Starting to panic--are we ready?

TwoBees
11-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I've made it to 32.5 weeks (:cheerleader1: ) and I'm hoping to go all the way to the end. But DH and I have put off a lot of prep for the new baby. For one we weren't sure I would even get this far, and we didn't really want to jinx anything, and two, this baby suffers from second child syndrome (we're so busy that we just haven't had time, plus we have stuff already from DD).

Now, at under 8 weeks to go, I'm starting to panic. We haven't done much of anything!!!

-Room not painted, furniture not ordered (not a big worry since baby will not be sleeping in her room for the first few months, and we aren't ordering furniture that requires 8-12 weeks for delivery)
-Have a carseat and bases, have not gotten it out of the garage to inspect
-Have not brought up from the basement, washed, or set up: breast pump, clothes, bouncy seat, Rock n Play, Pack n Play, bottles, nipples, etc
-Have not thought about what to pack in my hospital bag, let alone begun packing
-Have not put together survival kit for DH for the hospital
-Have not made plans for DD for when/if I go into labor

It occurred to me that although I'm hoping for 6-8 more weeks, anything could happen, really. I have no idea where to even start!

:eek:

BabyBearsMom
11-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Hugs momma, you are going to be okay. IF the room isn't painted and the furniture isn't there right at delivery, that isn't a big deal. You can put the baby in a pack n' play. I'm sure the carseats are fine and your DH can always install those after you give birth if necessary while you are in the hospital with your new baby. If you are planning to breast feed, the pump and bottles/nipples can wait until you get home. You can pack the hospital bag if you go into labor (I packed mine for DD2 while I was in labor, between contractions). DH can do his own survival kit, you shouldn't have to worry about that. I would focus on getting the clothes, bouncey seat, rock n' play and pack n' play ready and get the plans ready for your DD1. But other than that, try to relax. I'm sending sticky vibes so you make it the next 7.5 weeks.

mom2MandC
11-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Congratulations on making it to 32.5 weeks!!!!! Do you feel more relieved with every passing week???
We must be on the same wavelength!! I am scheduled for a c section 12/31 and just started to panic about getting things ready! If it makes you feel better, please know you are way ahead of us in the planning! My husband donated all of our baby stuff when we were thinking of listing our house (which totally bothers me because several things were brand new for DD 3 and we had a rock and play new in the box from a recall)! At least you have most of the gear in the house!! I have gotten a few things from friends, like a bouncy seat and play mat. I have also gotten some new bottles, but that is about it!! This is our 4th DD so everyone assumes we have everything we need!!
I keep saying at night when I get my other 3 (ages 5, 3.5 and 18 months) to sleep I will get to work and organize and see what we really need, but that never happens!
My plan is to make sure we get a rock and play for next to my bed and the crib ready, see if my pump still works and see if it is missing any pieces, then get bottles ready and I guess I should get some newborn sized diapers too. Beyond that, it would be nice to have the bouncy seat cleaned, maybe invest in a swing.
Then I would like to get some more Christmas shopping done and wrap for my kids at least. Next, put together few activities for my husband/parents to do with the kids while I am in the hospital and make a "schedule" of who will watch them, although obviously it will be harder for you since you don't have a scheduled date! :-)
I hope things go smoothly and your little one stays comfy in there for at least several more weeks!! I will be thinking of you!!!!!!!!!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
You'll find that it doesn't matter if that stuff doesn't get done. A new baby needs some clothes, some diapers, a way to get transported and something to eat. The rest will fall into place. :) we painted ds2's room when I was 39 weeks pregnant. I think dh installed the carpet around 32 weeks.

mikala
11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Congratulations! Personally, I'd start with the things you're going to need first. At 32 weeks it seems like that would mean your own hospital bag and anything you want ready right after birth like nursing bras. It seems likely that a baby born this early would spend some time in the nicu so you wouldn't need a car seat installed or gear set up at home immediately. As the weeks pass you can then focus on other things you'd want to have ready for baby to come home like the car seat, a safe place for baby to sleep, diapers, etc.

DualvansMommy
11-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Congrats!! Feels so close yet far away, isn't it?? I'm right behind you at 30 w 4 d and am in exact same boat down to your list of to-do's! Just starting to feel panic but I figure everything will fall into place.

The only thing that was done is paint the baby's room but that's only because it's already set up as a nursery for DS in neutral colors.

Pack your hospital bag, get your pump set ready and car seat looked into. The rest can be done by your DH while you're in the hospital if you haven't gotten around to rest of list yet by labor time.

Again, congrats and good luck!!

bostonsmama
11-14-2013, 09:51 AM
It took me about 2 weekend days to get all of that done...minus the paint of course. It really doesn't take long to get it all knocked out. What I find annoying is that there are so many things you can't do til the very end, like packing your flat iron, favorite make up, medications, or charging your cellphone and camera/bringing your charger. I needed so little when in labor at the hospital. And I haven't washed any clothing yet because I have no idea what size my son will be...and he'll be in the CICU for 2-3 weeks, so he won't need clothing for almost his first month. I did all of my hustling at 35 weeks and now am just waiting. It will all work out.

schrocat
11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Don't worry. You'll get everything that needs to be done finished when or before it needs to be done. We had an induction at 37 weeks a week ago. Nothing was done except for the carseat and since DD was so tiny, the NICU said our Graco Snugride was not adequate and DH had to rush out to buy a new carseat for her before she could go home. DH basically set up the pack and play the minute we came home. Our crib in her future room is still not set up. I packed my hospital bag the night before my induction and honestly, you don't need much in the hospital. Just maybe slippers, a toothbrush, a Kindle, a cellphone and charger, a robe and personal toiletries.

123LuckyMom
11-14-2013, 11:55 AM
The only thing you really need is to make a plan for your daughter in case you have to go into the hospital in a hurry. Everything else is gravy! You'll be just fine!

TwoBees
11-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Everything from here on out is all pretty new to me...at least until we bring the baby home. Even that, honestly, is all new, since things were different with DD when we brought her home (so tiny!) after her NICU stay. I feel like I should know what to do and when, but I don't.

After reading the replies and taking a few deep breaths (thanks for talking me off the edge!), I think my first priorities this weekend are to make plans for DD, get the breast pump ready, and then pull out some basic clothes, if I have time.

Simon
11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Congrats! I vote for bringing out the car seat, just to check it over. We discovered ours was covered in mold when it was too late to get a new one in time for our newborn and we ended up having to borrow one. It blended really well with the pattern so Dh didn't notice when he just glanced at it in the basement. Otherwise, I think you have a great plan!