PDA

View Full Version : Do you send Holiday Cards?

hbridge
11-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Our family has gone through a really tough stretch and have lost a beloved 4 legged family member. I just realized that the 75 holiday cards I have already purchased are no longer appropriate. I'm tempted to skip cards this year...

Do you send holiday cards every year?

TxCat
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Yes, but just because I enjoy it. Most of our friends don't.

Seitvonzu
11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
i have been, but this year is different for us too... i'm not sure what's "appropriate" and i haven't ordered cards yet. i'm sorry about your family member :( i give you permission not to send those cards, if that's what you need. or any cards at all. take care!

carolinacool
11-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I do send cards, but I do think a lot of people don't anymore, or they skip years. And that's totally fine! I remember in 2011 I only got eight or nine cards. Last year rebounded a bit, and I got around 20 (my normal average). I don't know - I thought about skipping it as well. Sometimes they just feel like another expense and another thing to do.

Sorry about your pet. :(

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes and most of our friends and family do as well.

lizzywednesday
11-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes, my sister, brother, and I send a joint Christmas photo card of all of our kids to shared relatives. The older ones who we're unable to see very much really appreciate it, and our kids love getting together.

DH and I also send a solo card to his friends & family.

I love getting cards, especially photo ones, because I'm not always able to see my friends & family.

In your case, OP, I think it's fine to skip your card this year.

specialp
11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
I think everyone skips a year every once in a while. We skipped a year when we had a horrible loss in our family. It is fine to skip this year and so sorry about your furry friend.

BabyBearsMom
11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
We do, but in your circumstances I think it is fine to skip a year.

brittone2
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Yes, we do. I love seeing photocards from friends and family...it is a nice way to keep in touch with people we don't get to talk with much otherwise, but still care a lot about. I think it is absolutely okay to skip this year, or give yourself permission to do a different card even if you have to shell out extra money (assuming you feel like sending one at all). If you aren't up to it, totally okay.

Zukini
11-13-2013, 05:13 PM
We did last year, but will skip the photo cards this year as we moved mid-summer and sent out moving announcements. Instead, we will send handwritten notes to a few older family members who really appreciate that gesture.

AnnieW625
11-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, we do. I love seeing photocards from friends and family...it is a nice way to keep in touch with people we don't get to talk with much otherwise, but still care a lot about. I think it is absolutely okay to skip this year, or give yourself permission to do a different card even if you have to shell out extra money (assuming you feel like sending one at all). If you aren't up to it, totally okay.
:yeahthat:

elliput
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Don't worry about skipping a year. :hug:

I didn't send holiday cards last year as I knew we would be moving shortly thereafter. I did send "We have moved" cards instead.

nfowife
11-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Sorry for your loss :(. Maybe you can still send them with a handwritten note like "remembering Buddy, always in our hearts...".

maestramommy
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
We do but that's because we have a lot of family and friends who are far away. I used to write a letter every year, but now I don't do it every year. We just sent a photo card that has a few pics of the family, kids, dog. Most of these people also send cards and I love seeing how their kids are growing.

However, I do think it's fine for you to skip this year if it's too difficult. I don't think anyone is going to call you out on it.

carolinacool
11-13-2013, 06:15 PM
You could just pare down your list to the people you don't see often, or the older people who really, really look forward to your cards. Why I appreciate sending holiday sentiments in the mail, sometimes I feel like I'm just sending to a bunch of people who I see all the time, or who I talk to on FaceBook all the time who know exactly what DS looks like now, etc.

mackmama
11-13-2013, 08:23 PM
We do because DH wants to. I think it's a waste of $$ and paper since so many people just throw them away.

candaceb
11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
I do because there are quite a few people on my list who I only keep in contact with that way, and I want to get their cards in return. I especially love photo cards and display them in my kitchen, and then when the holidays are over, I cut out all the photos and put them on a laminated card for DS. He loves looking at the photos and trying to remember who the people are.

I also have an emotional thing about sending photo cards - because it took so long (4 years of infertility treatments and a 25 week loss) to get to the point of being able to send them. I admit I want to show off my cute little guy :D

If you need to take a break this year, I think that's certainly OK. Just pick up where you left off next year and hopefully it will be a better year. We didn't send them 5 years ago when we were in the middle of infertility sadness and a bad year overall.

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2013, 10:53 PM
We e-mail them, it is so much easier and faster. I guess I am just lazy when it comes to doing them, but DH knows the world. We'd have to send out like 300-400, no joke. I'd rather spend the money on something else...shhh, don't tell the post office!!

hbridge
11-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Sorry for your loss :(. Maybe you can still send them with a handwritten note like "remembering Buddy, always in our hearts...".

That had actually been my plan until I pulled them out to address them and realized that they are entirely based on our four legged friend. DC designed them, more from the pet than the rest of us, LOL. They are MUCH too pet centered (and heartbreaking) to send.

Thank you all for your replies. I think we're going to skip this year. It doesn't feel right, but I also don't want to spend another $50 on cards....

lmh2402
11-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Yes and most of our friends and family do as well.

:yeahthat: