PDA

View Full Version : If you wrap gifts early, how to you label?

Simon
11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I've started wrapping gifts early this year but I'm not sure how to label them. First, we don't usually do this until the last minute and don't decide until then what items might be from santa vs. us. Also, for some items I haven't decided who it is going to. For example, the Magnatiles just arrived (woot!) but I'm not sure if they'll go to Ds2 or Ds3, or all the boys together.

Suggestions? What do you do?

ETA: I'm mostly concerned about forgetting what is inside the package vs. how to make decorative labels, although I'll take advice on the later as well.

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
You could use a post it note.

specialp
11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't wrap early precisely because I forget and change my mind, and I worry about them being discovered, etc. Maybe you could you loosely tape a note on it for what it is (magnatiles) and then later label them with the good sticky labels on who it is from and who it goes to.

x-posted with pp, but post it is what I was thinking.

BabyBearsMom
11-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't wrap Santa gifts until Christmas Eve because Santa has special wrappng paper that we, obviously, do not have in our house so DDs would not see gifts wrapped by him unti Christmas Eve...

For non-Santa gifts I have it kind of easy because I buy the girls pretty much identical gifts so they don't fight over them and I just slap one of those stick labels on them and write their names.

minnie-zb
11-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Maybe masking tape? I'm worried a post-it would fall off. I have the worst luck with those things.

brittone2
11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
I usually use a patterned paper and write a very teensy tiny letter on the end of the package. I know where to look for it, but I doubt anyone else notices at all. Very tiny. I do that even for non Santa gifts, because sometimes the tag gets separated from the item. We store wrapped gifts in DH's car's trunk (never use), or in the attic over our garage, because those two locations are easier to access on Christmas Eve. Our house has a mudroom/sunroom between it and the garage, so more separation than attic space over the 2nd floor bedrooms. With older kids, they are often revved up, and I like being able to sneak things in more easily than we could if we had to go up and down stairs near their bedrooms.

Simon
11-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I considered a post-it note but worried they would fall off. I did try blue painters tape, since it is intended to come off, but it peeled the print of the wrapping paper. OTOH, that was pretty cheap paper so it might work on the thicker/more expensive stuff. For now, I think I'll go with the tiny print on the end.
Usually I don't mind waiting until closer to the end, but Dh really like to stay up all night on Christmas eve working this stuff out and I just can't do it! My biggest concern is that I think Ds1 is old enough that he could poke around a bit this year. I think its natural curiosity, but I also think he'd be pretty devastated if he managed to find out his gifts and there aren't too many great hiding places here.

BunnyBee
11-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I use different paper for each kid. Non-kid gifts get labeled. :)

ChicagoNDMom
11-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Small number on underside/end of wrapped package and a master list with presents/numbers. This allows flexibility with moving gifts from one child to another and to hold back a specific one if you end up with too many for one kid. If you use one wrap pattern per child, you lose some flexibility. I try to wrap a little at a time starting now.

belovedgandp
11-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Some great ideas here. I too am starting to wrap, but will end up shuffling until the last minute.

alexsmommy
11-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Different colored paper for each child. Subtle number corresponding to the list on my computer, usually placed under the tape on one side. Then Santa has different paper completely. Luckily my parents live close by so those gifts are stored there. Then if I change something it's easy. But in our house, mom and dad bring the biggest, most desired present, then Santa brings other gifts, so it's rare that I need to change "who brought what."

I have a very clear memory of waiting until the coast was clear downstairs and carefully unwrapping gifts and then wrapping them back up after about age 9. So I do put some things under the tree from us, but it's usually the more practical gifts - ie pjs, books etc. DSD was telling someone I was way smarter than her because she also snuck some peeks and was always nervous that what was under the tree was all she was getting though she knew full well it never worked that way and her most desired gifts (within reason) showed up Christmas morning. I realized today that Ds1's big surprise is actually here and unwrapped so I picked him up to go to the barber after school instead of letting him stay at home alone while I took Ds2 to his activities. I will wrap that while he's at school Friday!

barkley1
11-13-2013, 07:49 PM
I use different paper for each kid. Non-kid gifts get labeled. :)

:yeahthat: and no one knows their pattern of paper until Christmas morning when they find a small something wrapped in their stocking.

Indianamom2
11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
I have done a couple of things. I've written in very tiny letters in an inconspicuous place the names. I would do initials, but my kids have the same ones! Now that the oldest reads, I have started making a list with the type of paper and size/shape of package, name and contents. It saved my bacon last year.

jenstring95
11-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Small number on underside/end of wrapped package and a master list with presents/numbers.

This is exactly what we do. I wish we could store the (non-Santa) gifts under the tree, but the dog would unwrap them all. Santa does get different paper ever since DS was 4 and asked why Santa had the same paper as us. Sadly, the best I could come up with on the spur of the moment was, "I guess Santa shops at Target too!". Stupid, stupid, stupid! :shake:

acmom
11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I write the gift receipents name in ball point pen on the tape on the underside of the package. It is barely seen unless you are looking for it and can be hidden by ribbon if you wish. I don't wrap early, but I wrap all the gifts first, them do all ribbons and tags.