PDA

View Full Version : Wise BBB Parents, I need some ideas.

BabbyO
11-13-2013, 04:58 PM
I've finally decided to start embarking on what I hope will become my next - and rewarding career. I've decided to start with becoming a child birth educator (hoping to add lactation consultant, CPST, and maybe midwife down the road).

Anyway, one of the requirements for my program is to attend 2 live births that are not my own. My sister lived out of state when she had my niece so I wasn't able to attend that birth and my SIL has 4 sisters...so I wasn't really needed.

When I looked into the course I spoke to one of the instructors and she assured me that the program gave ideas on how to attend a birth, but basically they are saying to attend the birth of either a family member or friend. Well, I don't have any friends or family that are expecting and due before Feb (When I need to have this completed).

I need some ideas on resources to connect with expecting couples/hospitals/birth centers that might allow me to attend a birth. Please, help me brainstorm. So far I've:

1. Reached out to my OB - he referred me to the "mother ship" that works with midwives
2. Reached out to the two local birth centers - they told me to contact the midwives directly
3. Called specific midwives in the area - Met quite a bit of resistance
5. Contacted my aunt who worked with a lot of OB docs in her tenure as an Operating Room Tech - unfortunately she recently retired and doesn't feel that it is appropriate to reach out past retirement to her connections
4. I'm trying to connect with a local childbirth professional network
5. Will try contacting the "mother ship" midwife services

I know there have to be other ideas...please hit me with your best! Thanks so much in advance!

brittone2
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I guess you'd run into the same thing trying to attend births as a doula in training? My thought there is that sometimes people want but can't afford a doula, so they are willing to work with a doula in training. In that situation, perhaps they'd be more open to having you there since you'd be filling a role and had done some preliminary training, kwim? Being there *just* to observe might be harder since you aren't really offering anything to the couple at that point, iykwim. I don't know if you have any interest in getting a doula certification, but maybe that would be an angle you could take...it would seem to align with your other goals, and you could perhaps get some overlap. Depending on how many people are interested in doulas where you live, maybe it would still be difficult to get someone to say yes, but something to consider possibly?

american_mama
11-13-2013, 05:14 PM
No experience, but I think you'd have better luck contacting parents-to-be directly. I'd try La Leche League, first and foremost. Maybe also birth photographers, moms groups, ads at preschool, friends-of-friends, ICAN (Intl Caesarean Awareness Network), childbirth classes, prenatal yoga studios or instructors, craigslist, community boards at libraries/toddler storyhours/toddler gymnastics. You might "sweeten the pie" by offering to do something at the birth; a write-up of the birth with a nice photo would be right up your alley from an observational point of view, or maybe offer to bring a somewhat unique a "goodie bag" of often-forgotten things to the labor (massage balls, relaxation music, artificial candle, ponytail holders, snacks, etc). Snapshots would also be good, but I probably wouldn't say "photography" to avoid setting expectations too high.

crl
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm wondering if adoption agencies might have some moms who are considering placing their baby for adoption and don't have anyone to act as support during the birth. Maybe they would be able to match you up with someone who would like a labor coach? You might be a particularly appealing support person.

I am also wondering if a teaching hospital might be able to help you? They have so many interns and residents and such trailing around all the time anyway. . .

Catherine

mikala
11-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Sent you a pm.

BabbyO
11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Sent you a pm.

Thanks! Replied.

ShanaMama
11-14-2013, 02:40 PM
I guess you'd run into the same thing trying to attend births as a doula in training? My thought there is that sometimes people want but can't afford a doula, so they are willing to work with a doula in training. In that situation, perhaps they'd be more open to having you there since you'd be filling a role and had done some preliminary training, kwim? Being there *just* to observe might be harder since you aren't really offering anything to the couple at that point, iykwim. I don't know if you have any interest in getting a doula certification, but maybe that would be an angle you could take...it would seem to align with your other goals, and you could perhaps get some overlap. Depending on how many people are interested in doulas where you live, maybe it would still be difficult to get someone to say yes, but something to consider possibly?
Good point. A student midwife wanted to observe my first birth but I wasn't exactly asked outright. She was introduced to me in a random way. I kicked her out. Didn't appreciate the subversive request. Offering to be part of the team is a great idea.

My mom actually did what you want to do. She was a childbirth educator & is now a midwife. I can ask her for some ideas. There are organizations like ACNM (American College of Nurse Midwives ) that may be able to guide you. If you have other questions for her please feel free to pm me.

trales
11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I would ask if the birth has to be human. You might have better luck being able to observe a dog/ cat/ cow/ sheep or goat. They are still "live" births and in fact are fairly intervention free. I can imagine it would be hard to just observe a birth. I would not be keen on letting someone watch me.

BabbyO
11-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Good point. A student midwife wanted to observe my first birth but I wasn't exactly asked outright. She was introduced to me in a random way. I kicked her out. Didn't appreciate the subversive request. Offering to be part of the team is a great idea.

My mom actually did what you want to do. She was a childbirth educator & is now a midwife. I can ask her for some ideas. There are organizations like ACNM (American College of Nurse Midwives ) that may be able to guide you. If you have other questions for her please feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the info. My goal in contacting midwives/doulas would be to be a part of the team...not just randomly step in and watch a birth. But I'm not finding much love out there. It doesn't help that I'm coming from a completely different field (that is a terrible fit for me). If I were somehow tied to healthcare I think it might be easier. Here I thought starting out from the educator angle would be easier, not harder! :)

I would ask if the birth has to be human. You might have better luck being able to observe a dog/ cat/ cow/ sheep or goat. They are still "live" births and in fact are fairly intervention free. I can imagine it would be hard to just observe a birth. I would not be keen on letting someone watch me.
Pretty certain they have to be human...

I get why people wouldn't just want a stranger being a part of the process....but I personally think it would be easier to let a stranger watch than a girlfriend....