PDA

View Full Version : Age for Rainbow Loom?

mm123
11-13-2013, 06:15 PM
How old do you need to be to use a Rainbow Loom? I'm thinking of getting one for DD1, who is 5.5 years old. She loves crafts, beading, making jewelry, etc. If she could handle it, I think it would be right up her alley, but if she'll just get frustrated by it, we'll wait a year or two.

maestramommy
11-13-2013, 06:22 PM
We just got one a few weeks ago. DD1 and 2 are pretty adept at making the bracelets by hand (single and double loop), even DD3 can do it. But the loom is more fiddly. DD2 can do the single loop with some assistance. DD1 doesn't seem as interested, but I was told that in general kids are better at it starting in 1st or 2nd grade.

egoldber
11-13-2013, 06:30 PM
My 7 year old first grader is very adept at even complex designs. I would think a very crafty 5-6 year old would be fine. It helps to watch the YouTube videos while doing it.

Tenasparkl
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
My DD is 5 and can do the first part easily where you set up the bands, but she has some trouble with the hook. She's figuring it out, but if she's tired then she gets upset & frustrated with it pretty easily.

Seitvonzu
11-13-2013, 07:26 PM
my nearly six year old has been doing it for about a month- the single loop design. she can even "correct." she cannot do the fishtail style or anything that has more than two loops on the same peg (the more complex designs)-- she CAN set up the rubber bands from diagrams in a book for even the more complex designs, which she enjoys- but she has to wait for busy mommy to do the hooking and that gets frustrating.
it's still fun ;)

Melbel
11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
DD1 taught DD2 (almost 5 1/2) to make bracelets using either the loom or her fingers (single, double and fish tail). She loves it (and it is nice to have a quiet activity).

Sweetsunshine
11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
My six year old can do it well. She and DD8 watch youtube videos of other kids giving lessons. I hope this fad never dies it keeps them so busy!

khm
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
My six year old can do it well. She and DD8 watch youtube videos of other kids giving lessons. I hope this fad never dies it keeps them so busy!

I know, right?! It is CRAZY how obsessed they are with these dang things. My daughter is 11, so I can't address how young they are good for, but I've seen them everywhere (soccer, dance waiting room, etc) and some of the kids doing them look pretty darn young.

wendibird22
11-13-2013, 09:09 PM
My 6yo is addicted. She can do the basic one by herself.

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2013, 10:52 PM
The loom is like crack in our house...the girls are obsessed with it!! My youngest is 4.5 y/o and she was able to figure out one on her own with a bit of help from her big sisters. I am going to get her one and we'll see how it goes, if not it will be put away for a while, but I think she'll be able to figure it out.

ellies mom
11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
My five year old is getting good at it. She has a few designs down solid and is branching out more. She does get a bit frustrated on the looping part but she is getting a lot better. And it helps that I've become a bit addicted to because I can help point out issues and fix things. We bought a great book that is slipping my mind at the moment that has clear diagrams and instructions. That has been a big help for her because we can go through it easier than a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk