PDA

View Full Version : s/o of tablet thread...Kindle Fire vs Samsung Galaxy 3....how are they different?

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm such a tablet newbie...help me by sharing what you know!

SASM
11-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Just off the top of my head, the Galaxy has an SD card slot for expandable memory, F/R cameras, and access to Google Play. The Fire has neither expandable memory or a rear camera (I believe it has a front camera) and a limited selection of apps in comparison to Google Play. I believe the Fire has more safeguards for children (FreeTime). I do not believe that the Galaxy has such a setup. Another tablet to look into is the Nexus 7. The older 2012 model is great IMO, although it doesn't have a rear camera (not an issue for my kids). The 2013 has a crisper picture (2012 resolution is fine for our needs) and a rear camera. Look out for Black Friday deals. :)

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Just off the top of my head, the Galaxy has an SD card slot for expandable memory and cameras. The Fire has neither. I believe the Fire has more safeguards for children (FreeTime). I do not believe that the Galaxy has such a setup.

Do you have to pay extra for Free Time? That is a nice feature. I was thinking though, that there are probably android apps out there that would help with the parental controls, since they seem to have apps for everything nowadays.

Also, how does the speed compare of both? Thanks again for your input :)

larig
11-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Just off the top of my head, the Galaxy has an SD card slot for expandable memory, F/R cameras, and access to Google Play. The Fire has neither expandable memory or a rear camera (I believe it has a front camera) and a limited selection of apps in comparison to Google Play. I believe the Fire has more safeguards for children (FreeTime). I do not believe that the Galaxy has such a setup. Another tablet to look into is the Nexus 7. The older 2012 model is great IMO, although it doesn't have a rear camera (not an issue for my kids). The 2013 has a crisper picture (2012 resolution is fine for our needs) and a rear camera. Look out for Black Friday deals. :)

Agreed. I think I'd also consider a Nexus.

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Agreed. I think I'd also consider a Nexus.

My mom has one that she might be handing down to us. She is having a hard time using it, but it's probably just her. I tried to give her a mini tutorial and she was stuck in her own way of doing things on it, which was very inefficient, lol...I told her if she doesn't want it, we'd be happy to take if off her hands!

tmahanes
11-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Do you have to pay extra for Free Time? That is a nice feature.

No you don't. However you can add free time unlimited which I think is about $3 a month and it gives you access to books, videos, and apps that are age appropriate. I would guess that there are about 80 apps, about 200 books and I have no clue how many videos but it is a lot.

It is worth it for us and we have been very happy with it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SASM
11-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Do you have to pay extra for Free Time? That is a nice feature. I was thinking though, that there are probably android apps out there that would help with the parental controls, since they seem to have apps for everything nowadays.

Also, how does the speed compare of both? Thanks again for your input :)

After a quick search for FreeTime, I found this (which is NOT FreeTime) but it might be available in Google Playstore if you are considering other Android devices: http://www.amazon.com/Kiddoware-Kids-Place-Parental-Control/dp/B0061S073A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384402980&sr=8-1&keywords=freetime

FreeTime is free but FreeTime Unlimited has a monthly fee, varying on the number of children accounts and whether you have Prime or not. If you are only getting this for your youngest, it is $3/mo for one kid if you have Prime.

If you are looking into the Nexus for your older 2, I THINK that I have childproofed it about as best as I can. I believe there is childproofing in the 2013 versions, and possibly in the 2012 version with the new update. I have been happy with whatever I have done so I didn't check into it. ;) The nice thing about Nexus 7 is that it updates the OS automatically. :)

ETA...
Kindle FreeTime Setup...just so you see some technical info. :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201240110
The slight explanation of FreeTime and pricing that I saw on the Kindle Fire today at BB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000863021

I am REALLY unfamiliar with this device myself. Researching as a possibility for DD2. Played with it for the first time today at BB. More exposure to the Nooks d/t BN B&M stores. :)

jerseygirl07067
11-15-2013, 01:10 AM
After a quick search for FreeTime, I found this (which is NOT FreeTime) but it might be available in Google Playstore if you are considering other Android devices: http://www.amazon.com/Kiddoware-Kids-Place-Parental-Control/dp/B0061S073A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384402980&sr=8-1&keywords=freetime

FreeTime is free but FreeTime Unlimited has a monthly fee, varying on the number of children accounts and whether you have Prime or not. If you are only getting this for your youngest, it is $3/mo for one kid if you have Prime.

If you are looking into the Nexus for your older 2, I THINK that I have childproofed it about as best as I can. I believe there is childproofing in the 2013 versions, and possibly in the 2012 version with the new update. I have been happy with whatever I have done so I didn't check into it. ;) The nice thing about Nexus 7 is that it updates the OS automatically. :)

ETA...
Kindle FreeTime Setup...just so you see some technical info. :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201240110
The slight explanation of FreeTime and pricing that I saw on the Kindle Fire today at BB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000863021

I am REALLY unfamiliar with this device myself. Researching as a possibility for DD2. Played with it for the first time today at BB. More exposure to the Nooks d/t BN B&M stores. :)

Thanks!!