PDA

View Full Version : Dance classes - where to start?

TwoBees
11-14-2013, 12:28 PM
DD would like to take dance classes this winter. I never took dance, so I have no idea where to even start looking. I think I want something that is very casual, and introduces her to different forms of dance. Where do I start and what kinds of questions do I need to ask? Is it best to start at the Y, which I know will be a casual class?

wendibird22
11-14-2013, 01:23 PM
We started both DDs in a "creative dance/movement" class at age 4. They do learn some ballet positions/poses but nothing intense. Classes are kept fun. We checked out a few local studios (both online and talking to the director) and decided on the studio the next town over because they came across as much more laid back. The studio in town gave me the impression that they took lessons, make up, costuming much more seriously and as I looked at recital pictures on their site I wasn't too pleased with the suggestive nature of the costumes on their youngest dancers. We've been at the studio next town over for 2yrs and really like it. You might also want to talk to other moms in your area for recommendations. A few other moms I talked to didn't have positive experiences with our in town studio.

waitingforgrace
11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Talk to people in your neighborhood/town. We have a park district that offers all kinds of classes. DD1 is taking pre ballet for the seond time. They offer ballet and jazz combos, ballet and tap, etc. There are all kinds of things. In the park district the youngest classes are the combo classes or just pre ballet. DD1's class is very laid back the teacher is fantastic and high energy. They start to learn some positions but it's really about having fun. We will not switch to a studio unless and until DD1 decides she wants to stick with dance and we're all ready to commit to it more seriously.

brittone2
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
We started w/ a local place that has drop in classes in the summer. That was greatt as we just paid by the class, so it was a good way to make sure she liked it before committing to a class paid monthly, quarterly, or annually. She did a little preballet class. After a few weeks it was obvious she liked it. At the end of that summer I switched her to a more professional studio with higher caliber instruction. The first place was inexpensive, good for getting her feet wet, but only window AC in a 2nd floor space, etc. Current place has higher caliber instruction, better productions, and I just feel better about what we get. It is also considerably more money, however. In addition to the cost for classes there are always various donations requested, tickets to productions are usually about $25/ticket, costumes (of course). There are also the usual things like photos, DVDs, etc. available. So just make sure you have a good grasp on what you want to spend, what is required, etc.

We personally never bothered w/ creative movement, as my kids did a lot of that on their own. We jumped in with preballet 1 at 4-5, preballet 2 at 5-6 yo, and now in ballet 1 she will be 6-7 yo.

DD is very into ballet and enjoys it tremendously.

elektra
11-14-2013, 01:46 PM
We never did the more general creative movement/music classes either but I do think that could be a great way to start. My SIL did various classed through the city parks/rec for instance. I ended up enrolling DD at a local studio in pre-ballet at age 4. She is now at her 3rd year at the same place and she likes it. I would do the same thing if I had to do it over. The place seems laid back to a degree but they do learn the positions and some of the older girls (like high school age) seem very serious. It's like there are a few tracks- they have serious dancers but also classes for girls who just want to dance and aren't necessarily going to get scholarships or whatever. It was a good fit for us.

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Maybe check with your rec center? We are doing low cost dance classes at the rec center. Or look for a Creative Movement class. Most of the dance studios around here offer one. I also see a lot of combo classes (half tap and half ballet).

elbenn
11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I asked around and got referrals and then just visited three studios to see what the classes were like.

bigsis
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, per your signature, your DD is 4yo?? I put my DD in ballet at the local YMCA when she was 3 and continued there until she was 5. She took a year off and then went off to a neighborhood dance studio when she was 6yo. I feel that if you're already a member of the Y, it's a great deal to have them there at such a young age. It's very casual and so are the recitals. That's a good thing--no $70 costumes!!! As they get older, I would say by the age of 7, they need more.

When I go to my DD's recitals and see little girls at the recital, I keep thinking, "Yes, you are very cute in your blinged out tutus, but you really can't dance very well yet." So just for the recital, you spend $50-$70 per costume + $10-15 per person attending. Not to mention you've spent $50+ per month for the lessons. If $$ is no object, by all means, dance studios all the way. Otherwise, I would wait until she's 7 to get "serious." ;)

bigsis
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, per your signature, your DD is 4yo?? I put my DD in ballet at the local YMCA when she was 3 and continued there until she was 5. She took a year off and then went off to a neighborhood dance studio when she was 6yo. I feel that if you're already a member of the Y, it's a great deal to have them there at such a young age. It's very casual and so are the recitals. That's a good thing--no $70 costumes!!! As they get older, I would say by the age of 7, they need more.

When I go to my DD's recitals and see little girls at the recital, I keep thinking, "Yes, you are very cute in your blinged out tutus, but you really can't dance very well yet." So just for the recital, you spend $50-$70 per costume + $10-15 per person attending. Not to mention you've spent $50+ per month for the lessons. If $$ is no object, by all means, dance studios all the way. Otherwise, I would wait until she's 7 to get "serious." ;)