PDA

View Full Version : Sleepover - EEK!

Twoboos
11-14-2013, 12:57 PM
OMG. 7 girls are coming to sleep over tomorrow night. (6 of DD1's friends for her bday, and 1 friend for DD2.)

I know it's too many, but there's no going back now. DD1 couldn't/wouldn't cut the list any more. Everyone said yes - I had figured 1 or 2 wouldn't be able to come.

I am worried it's going to be completely out of control. Plan is arrive 6pm, pizza, cake and snacks, jammies, movie. Should I have everyone bring the Rainbow Loom? I'm sure they'd all sit quietly and loom away - hahahahaaa. :rotflmao:

DD1 is worrying a bit about everyone getting along and who-knows-who and possible personality clashes. REALLY - you couldn't figure this out BEFORE everyone was invited??

Any tips for too many kids at a sleepover? Besides wine. ;)

waitingforgrace
11-14-2013, 01:29 PM
No advice, but good luck!

BabbyO
11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Not sure what the ages are...but my first sleep over was with 13 girls. RL sounds like it might be a good idea. Music, dress up, make up. What about a silly mixer game. I'm thinking something girls might get into - similar to the make the bride a dress out of TP....IDK, kids might really get into that sort of thing?

westwoodmom04
11-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I would suggest getting/borrowing/renting a karaoke machine and/or having one of the dance video games available. That usually keeps girls that age busy for an hour or two. You could have them play for a while, feed them/birthday cake, movie and popcorn, then bed.

Twoboos
11-14-2013, 03:31 PM
I would suggest getting/borrowing/renting a karaoke machine and/or having one of the dance video games available. That usually keeps girls that age busy for an hour or two. You could have them play for a while, feed them/birthday cake, movie and popcorn, then bed.

They are 9/10 and in 4th grade.

We actually have a karaoke machine (I need to dig out or google the karaoke instructions) and Let's Dance or whatever it's called, and some sing along Wii game. And Twister.

It's the "bed" part I'm worried about. Last sleepover DD went to they went to bed at midnight. I'd be SO happy if that was the case for us! Fingers crossed.

Mermanaid
11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
DD had a sleepover last weekend for her 9th birthday. There were only five girls in total and they stayed up until 3am! We had a spa party but it didn't start until 9:30p because we ended up having a softball tournament game that night. The girls got to the house and we ate pizza then did facials (chocolate yogurt) and used warm washcloths to wipe it all off. Then, they went into the living room and I had teen gossip mags available (tiger beat, bop, etc.) for them to read while they soaked their feet in the Funny Baff stuff I found at Walmart (kinda like a gel/diaper insert kinda stuff). Then, they went back into the dining room and we painted nails. After that, we did decorate your own cupcake/happy birthday and they had a 20 - 30 minute impromptu dance party while I cleaned up the table. After that they made pallets in the living room to watch Troop Beverly Hills (most of them are Girl Scouts) and I gave them popcorn to munch on. At 1:30a I told them to go to sleep! I woke up again at 3:30a and thankfully they were all snoozing. The next morning I made monkey bread in individual pint jars (they adored this) and gave them fruit.

Hang in there ... you will get through it!

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Next time, don't start it til 8. :) Much less work! I really just throw snacks and games into the family room and leave. They figure it out. Movies, games... Sit in a nearby room ready to intervene or suggest activities to kids that aren't into what the main group is doing- that is always our problem. But, even if they don't all click. things have gone smoothy enough...I do have boys though! Good luck!

katerinasmom
11-14-2013, 05:39 PM
My 9 year old had a list of activities - an itinerary actually - for her sleepover. So much stuff on the list that you'd have thought it was a week long event. I'm sure they are already discussing what they should each bring and what they plan to do. My advice, based solely on my own recent experience, is to let them have space and set a few rules. My rules were (1) no food on the second floor, (2) no locking the bedroom door, (3) stay out of my room, (4) they must be in their pjs and in DD's room by 11:30 and (5) lights out by 12:30 (times adjusted as necessary to accommodate a late ending movie). We have a two story home and I wanted to be able to be in my bed and feel comfortable dozing off if they were still awake. DD insisted that they be allowed to stay up as late as they wanted. I did not want them roaming all over the house. So we compromised on a gradual procession towards sleep. The deal was that as long as they were in bed and lights out at the appointed times, they could stay up talking and giggling until they each dropped off on their own. The no food upstairs and no locking doors is an everyday rule.

westwoodmom04
11-14-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm a meanie, I usually make them turn off the lights at 10 (dd is 8).

Corie
11-14-2013, 06:34 PM
My daughter is having her sleepover on November 23rd. She invited 11 girls!

I plan on slipping Benadryl in everyone's dinner drink. ;)

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes!!

oneplustwo
11-15-2013, 12:35 AM
You'll be fine! DD has been having sleepover parties for her birthday for quite a few years now; usually anywhere from 6 to 9 girls at a time. Maybe I've just been lucky with the girls DD has over, but they've been more interested in giggling (OK, laughing loudly) and chatting in the dark instead of running around or creating true mayhem in the middle of the night. After one or two shushing/warnings, they usually settle down and drift off ~ and yes, often around midnight. By then the lights have usually been out for a couple of hours. Be ready with an extra movie to show in the morning after (or even before) breakfast for the sleepyheads; keeps everyone quiet and settled. :)

Now, I might need to borrow Corie's idea of Benadryl for the boys' slumber party . . . :)

bigsis
11-15-2013, 01:23 AM
It will be fine. I think your major issue might be the noise level. (You will need liquid earplugs though :54: ) I would give a deadline for lights out an hour prior to. Say you want them to turn off the lights at midnight, let them know by 11pm. Definitely yes on the Rainbow Loom. You may just have to do the movie towards the end to wind them down.

Twoboos
11-15-2013, 10:26 PM
OMG - I think the decibel level would rival a 747!!! We put in a movie (after pizza, cake and ice cream, twister and Wii), but two wandered out within 15min and now we've lost about half - ACK!! Too soon! Hopefully Just Dance will tire them out, lol.

I talked to DD about lights out being at 11 (she was thrilled, since she thought I would say 9pm, LOL!) so we'll see how that goes.