PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Loom for a 9-y-o boy?

sariana
11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
DS used one of these at OT. He made a bracelet which he loved and wore every day--until he lost it while playing outside. I saw a post somewhere (I think on another forum) that boys are using these too, but I mostly see posts about people's DDs getting/having them. Does anyone know any boys who have them? DS is 9, in 4th grade, and is socially inept. He doesn't really have any friends, so I don't want to put him in a position that opens him up EVEN MORE to teasing. Then again, if he doesn't have any friends anyway, why not give him something that makes him happy (and helps his fine motor skills)?

Any thoughts?

MommyofAmaya
11-14-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't know whether it is cool to make the bracelets but I did see a few very "cool" looking 12yo boys the other day wearing them.

Tenasparkl
11-14-2013, 02:48 PM
My friend's DS (7 and in 2nd grade) is obsessed with the rainbow loom.

lovin2shop
11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
My 11 yr old DS and all of his friends have them, and they all trade bracelets.

wendibird22
11-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Our before/after school sitter has 3 boys (2nd, 4th and 6th grades) and they are all into them. The 2nd grader probably the most but all 3 boys have made and wear the bracelets and have fun helping DD1 make them.

ezcc
They're very popular with the boys at ds's school, he is almost 11 and in 5th grade.

TwinFoxes
A very athletic 6 year old boy I know makes and wears them. I don't know if that's typical, and I know he's younger, but he's definitely a "cool" kid if such a thing exists in 1st grade!

boolady
11-14-2013, 02:54 PM
My almost 9 y/o godson, who is very outdoorsy and athletic, is totally into them. He taught DD how to make a bunch of complicated patterns.

jayali
11-14-2013, 02:55 PM
I have a 9 year old son. He plays sports, is his elected 4th grade class rep and has a wide array of friends. AND he has a rainbow loom. He is not very good at it but he does like to use it. He and one of his pals have teamed up to make bracelets for a family at school that got burned out of their home. It was very sweet of them and the principal has backed them with some of her own money. So it it indeed appropriate for boys of that age AND it may give him something in common with some of the other kids.

Simon
11-14-2013, 03:14 PM
My Ds1 is a little younger but he loves, loves, loves fiber arts. He knits with me and is hand-making gifts for siblings and friends. He actually learned to knit in an afterschool class (that had mostly girls otherwise) but he is known "publicly" for knitting and no one ever teased him. I'm sure he'd love a rainbow loom. I have my fingers crossed that some of them will make it to a thrift shop before next Christmas :) I say go for it if you can find one.

o_mom
11-14-2013, 03:26 PM
My 6, 8 and 10yos are all getting them for Christmas. DS2 (8yo) spend 3 hours at a friend's house last week doing nothing but Rainbow loom.

essnce629
11-14-2013, 03:27 PM
DS1 is 10 and in 5th grade and said ever single person, boy or girl, had a rainbow loom! He couldn't think of a single kid in 5th grade who didn't have one. They all take them to school every day and DS1 and my 9 yr old carpool boy make bracelets on the ride to and from school. They watch YouTube videos to show them how to make super complicated ones. My DS1 wears a rainbow loom necklace and about 6 bracelets every day and is definitely all boy! Even DH wears his red and black rainbow loom bracelet that DS1 made him!

KpbS
11-14-2013, 03:27 PM
DS1 is getting one for his birthday (today!). I was thinking about it and a bit on the fence when he came home from school and told me a boy in 5th grade had made a bunch and was selling them for $1 per bracelet. I figured it was ok for the cool factor. :)

KpbS
11-14-2013, 03:28 PM
DS1 is 10 and in 5th grade and said ever single person, boy or girl, had a rainbow loom! He couldn't think of a single kid in 5th grade who didn't have one. They all take them to school every day and DS1 and my 9 yr old carpool boy make bracelets on the ride to and from school. They watch YouTube videos to show them how to make super complicated ones. My DS1 wears a rainbow loom necklace and about 6 bracelets every day and is definitely all boy! Even DH wears his red and black rainbow loom bracelet that DS1 made him!

I'm thinking this thread needs some pictures! :) Sounds awesome!

ray7694
11-14-2013, 03:40 PM
My 9 yo boy loves his. I had to plan a station for his Halloween party and decided to make the basic one as my station. The kids can use fingers or two pencils. Now the whole class has an orange and black one.

ray7694
11-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Rainbow loom website videos are better than youtube. They also have a fb page that comes on my feed with some neat ones.

AngB
11-14-2013, 03:44 PM
My oldest is 2 so I am way out of the loop on this stuff, but it amazes me! This sounds like the newest SillyBandz craze?

hellokitty
11-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Do it! Get him one. I got one for my 8 yr old. My 9 yr old like it too. There doesn't seem to be any stigma with boys using these. Heck, think about all of the boys with a sister who has one, they have probably played with one too, just b/c their sister has one, kwim? Do you want to know a secret? My DH uses the rainbow loom too, lol.

sariana
11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Cool! Thanks, everyone! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out Christmas gifts for him. This sounds like a winner (for the grandparents, probably).