PDA

View Full Version : How many days of preschool for a 4yo?

Aishe
11-14-2013, 03:05 PM
DS is 4 (will be 5 in January) and just started preschool this fall. Currently he attends MWF from 8:30 to 11:30 am. Next year he will start full-time kindergarten in a language immersion program (6 hours per day, except for Mondays, which are early release days) that is fairly intensive. The preschool is very nice and I know he has fun while he's there (it's a co-op so I spend a fair amount of time there). But he complains and whines about going every.single.day. I've been wondering if I should increase his schedule to 5 days a week starting after the holidays, just to build his endurance for kindergarten next year. On the other hand, I know it will be sort of miserable (for me!) to take him every day and I wonder if I should just let him hang onto this more relaxed schedule for as long as possible. Another alternative is to tack on the academic enrichment program (I think they mostly do HWOT and some other activities) to his MWF schedule, which would put him there from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. Any thoughts? How much preschool does your 4yo have?

Our FSA enrollment forms are due tomorrow - so I need to estimate tuition costs for next year - so I'm trying to make this decision quickly!

Just to add some extra info in case it helps: I think he is a little young for his age, although he does just fine socially and he's had no trouble following the teacher's instructions or the school routine. As of now, he is not very academically inclined. He only knows about half the alphabet and can't reliably count past around 15. He just wants to play play play, all of it very creative and imaginative.

123LuckyMom
11-14-2013, 03:15 PM
I think the more days of preschool you can do the easier it will be on him. The length of the day is unimportant, I think, unless there's more academic learning to be had, in which case, you might consider it. It's just easier if you know that you go every day except weekends rather than only three days. In many school districts, he'd be in kindy this year, so I don't think it's too much to ask of him, and it might clear up his resistance.

Having heard from other parents on this board how intensive immersion schools can be, I'd be worried about a 4 year old who only knows half the alphabet and is used to only three half days of school. I wouldn't overburden him, but I think he might freak out next year without at least a little increase in school time now. My just turned five year old is in preschool every weekday for full days. He really began to love school when we upped his attendance from two full days each week to five. We did it due to a family emergency, but we kept him in because of how much better it seemed to be for him. (And he was in play groups or doing multiple activities daily when at home, so it wasn't just increased stimulation.)

essnce629
11-14-2013, 03:20 PM
DS2 is 4.5 (May bday) and has been going to his Montessori preschool 5 days a week from 9am-1:30pm since August. Last year he went 3 days a week, the same hours. I think him going 5 days a week has actually been a benefit since he's sooo attached to me and would cry last year and hold on to me at every drop off for months! Teachers said he was fine after 5 minutes though so I never worried about it. Since he started going 5 days he's been fine. I may even put him in their extended day program (till 4pm) for the last 2-3 months in order to get him ready for kindergarten next year. We just had his parent teacher conference last week and his teacher recommended this since he'll be considered one of the younger K's next year even with a May bday. She also suggested we put him in 2-3 weeks of summer camp as she says the children that go to camp before K seem to come back much more mature after those 2+ weeks. She said it helps since the kids have to adjust to a new environment and make new friends quickly which helps them during the transition to K. I would have never thought of this and think it's a good idea. DS1 (10) goes to a sports day camp every summer and DS2 has been begging to go too. They have a program for 5-6 year olds so I think we'll send him (at least half day).

Simon
11-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Just to clarify--is he whining because he does or does NOT want to go to preschool? If he wants to go, then I say sign him up for more days OR longer hours. If he does NOT want to be going and it doesn't bother you to have him home, then I say give him the more relaxed schedule.

IMO, extending his day will not really prepare him for K next year. Its 9 months away and he's going to do a lot of maturing in that time which (again, just IMO) will do more to make him ready than extra preK time. FWIW, my kids started prek M-F at earlier ages 2.5 and 3.5 because I needed to work. Ds1 had been in full time day care 7:30-5:30 M-F and he still found K exhausting even though in K he had shorter days without after care.

OTOH, if he wants to stay and you have a need/desire to have him out of the house longer days then go for it. I have kids who would have benefited more from staying home with me and having additional time relaxing and being together. I also have kids who love the business of preschool and love to get out of the house.

Aishe
11-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Just to clarify--is he whining because he does or does NOT want to go to preschool?

He's whining because he does NOT want to go. His main complaints are a) he misses me, and b) he'd rather be at home playing with his own toys.

My dd went to full-day preschool 5 days a week (different school) and her transition to kindergarten was HARD. Honestly, I don't know that it could have been any worse. So intellectually I think the longer schedule will help ds, but empirically I'm less certain, simply because of my experience with dd.

janine
11-14-2013, 03:53 PM
My DD did 3 days, 4 days and 5 days for ages 3, 4,5, She will do K Full day next year. She is 1/2 day now, alway has been. I personally like the progression to prepare them and I agree with a PP on the 5 day a week instilling routine over how long the day is.

I wouldn't compare to your DD, maybe her situation was different, was it full day and what was the transition from? I think all kids whine about school at some point, but once they are there they feel different! And even more reason to get your DS accustomed now if he is resisting (in preparation for next year).

schrocat
11-14-2013, 03:55 PM
DS2 will be starting Kindergarten in the Fall. He turned 5 recently and this is his last year of preschool. We chose to put him in 3 days of preschool from 9-4 because we wanted to spend a little more time with him at home. He does tell me that he misses me very much but he does need preschool so this is our compromise. He has chinese immersion in the morning and english montessori in the afternoon. I think it's sufficient for this year. We just read alot in English and Chinese and play on his days at home.

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2013, 03:58 PM
My DD1 is 3.5. I WOH FT so she is at her preschool FT, but their actual class time is from 9am to 12:00pm five days a week. She is actually there from 7am to 5pm though. She seems to be flourishing in this program and learning a lot, so I think it is working out.

american_mama
11-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Personally, I think 3 days of preschool at age 4 because it reduces the driving burden for me and because it gives kids something to "move up to" when they start kindergarten. My oldest 2 did three days a week and it was fine. My DS did 5 days a week because nothing else was available, and he often balked at going. Some of that was personality, some of it was frequency.

I am not a fan of preparing kids at age 4 for the all-day, everyday nature of kindergarten. Yes, it can be a rough "stamina" adjustment for some kids, but that's not a huge issue for mine. And all kindergarteners have to adjust in some way, and the teachers know that, and it seems to me most kids have settled into the routine by October or so regardless of what they did beofre Kindergarten.

llama8
11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
My DD is three (almost 4) and in 5 full-day pre-K with aftercare at a catholic school. She loves it. She wants to go everyday and she never complains about school. She is in a class of 26 full-time 5 day pre-k kids and they all do very well. I don't think it is too much for them. She is the youngest in her class and she never seems overwhelmed by being full-time.

She goes from 8:15 to usually 3:30/4:00 (when I get out of work). Some of the kids stay until 6:00 when aftercare closes.

(Perhaps the pre-K is not a good fit for your son and another school may be better)

babyonway
11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
My DD (3.5 years old) is in Montessori 5 days a week from 8:45 to 11:45. the consistency helps a lot I think. She will start going longer days next year (5 days a week) Then she'll be in full day kindergarten.

BabbyO
11-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Stachio is 4 yo and started public 4K (1/2 days - really only about 2.5 hrs) in Sept. It is 5 days a week and he's complained from time to time about going to school, but not every single day.

That said, he complains EVERY.SINGLE.DAY about going to the babysitters and has since he started going there. He started with a different sitter and our new sitter will never be the same, so he will complain every day. Even if I see how much he loves it there, he loves the activities, the interaction with her son, etc, etc.

I kind of think that once kids know a certain thing (Sitter A, being home with Mom or Dad, whatever is their first real routine) the next new routine will never be as good as what they once knew...and they will complain. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that is the way it seems at our house anyway.

If it were me, I might up the days, just so the transition is a little easier next year. I also think that a consistent schedule helps a lot!

PZMommy
11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
My 4 yr old goes 5 days a week. Speaking as a kindergarten teacher, my students that went to school five days a week tend to make the transition to full day kindy a bit easier.

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2013, 04:58 PM
we had it 5 mornings/ week. They recommended that at the preschool b/c of the routine. Easier to make it consistent. 4 or 5 would get my vote.

Indianamom2
11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but with both kids, I have kept preschool schedules light. With DD, she was in a special speech preschool at age 3. She went 2 days/week for 2 hours each. At age 4, she did regular preschool for 3 days/week for 2.5 hours. At age 5 (she had a late b-day and wasn't really ready) she did 4 days/week for 2.5 hours (I do wish that she had been able to stay longer that year, maybe 4 hours each day). K was still a horrendous transition, but it was completely related to her anxiety problems and not anything else.

Ds turned 4 this summer. He is currently going 2 days/week for 4 hours each day. Next year he will probably do 3-4 days for 4 hours.

I believe in letting kids be kids. They will be in school for what feels like forever as it is. Extra days of preschool will not make or break their education experience, IMHO.

Aishe
11-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Thank you for all your responses so far. Just to clarify: there are no issues with the school itself. Both my kids are extreme introverts (like their parents) and so school is just taxing for them. DS would just prefer to be at home, plain and simple.

wellyes
11-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Personally, I think 3 days of preschool at age 4 because it reduces the driving burden for me and because it gives kids something to "move up to" when they start kindergarten. My oldest 2 did three days a week and it was fine. My DS did 5 days a week because nothing else was available, and he often balked at going. Some of that was personality, some of it was frequency.

I am not a fan of preparing kids at age 4 for the all-day, everyday nature of kindergarten. Yes, it can be a rough "stamina" adjustment for some kids, but that's not a huge issue for mine. And all kindergarteners have to adjust in some way, and the teachers know that, and it seems to me most kids have settled into the routine by October or so regardless of what they did beofre Kindergarten.

I agree with this. My DD did 3 half-days at age 4, and transitioned to full day kindergarten just fine. I don't wish she had spent more of age 4 in school.

I really enjoyed my last chance at weekday zoo trips & museums with her too. Which may have helped with her stamina, come to think of it. Anyway, my feeling is, don't feel obligated if you don't want to, or if he doesn't want to, or both. They will be in full time school for a long long time. Kindergarten is the perfect environment to make that transition.

maestramommy
11-14-2013, 06:27 PM
I think the answer to that question is more: What do you think he NEEDS? Rather than what's easier for everybody?

DD1 and 3 went to preschool 5 mornings a week when they were in the 4s class. Both of them really needed more time doing fun learning things in a structured environment. DD1 because she is a fall baby so was already older, and DD3 because well, because she just does, lol. She's busy busy busy and gets bored and intro trouble. As it is she is no longer napping and would do better with a longer day (preschool is only 2.5 hours).

hellokitty
11-14-2013, 07:33 PM
If he is whining about too much school, then don't bump him up to a 5 day class. He has tons of schooling ahead of him. I'd let him enjoy his preschool years while he can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

hellokitty
11-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Double post

lmh2402
11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
DS is in five-day pre-K (he's 4.5) - 3 full day/2 half

last year he did five half days

he just asked this morning if he can switch to five full days in Jan. I'm not sure I want to do that though - might hold the full day/full week until K

weech
11-14-2013, 10:54 PM
DS is 3.5 and is starting preschool on Jan 2 and he's going 5 days a week. His Montessori school requires 5 days because the consistency is so important. He'll have a typical Montessori work period in the morning and after lunch/nap, they do rotations (Spanish, Art, Science). 4-6 is considered aftercare and he'll stay for that maybe 50% of the time.

Right now he's in a great daycare part-time and the provider specifically requested that if we only wanted to send him 3 days a week that those 3 days be all in a row rather than alternated during the week because it's easier on the kid.

mikala
11-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I agree with PP to focus on more what you think he needs right now vs upping it to just prepare him for the long days in the fall. If he's having fun at home and you're getting lots of conversation, quality play and daily life education time in that way I don't see a need to change the school days.

As an aside, I'm curious what others think about the letter and number knowledge norms for this age and what's expected going into kindergarten.

indigo99
11-14-2013, 11:27 PM
DS1 is going to some form of school M-F right now, and I'm about to take him out of his Tues/Thurs class because I think it's too much. He'll have plenty of years where he has to go 5 days per week so why force him to before you really HAVE to?

wellyes
11-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I agree with PP to focus on more what you think he needs right now vs upping it to just prepare him for the long days in the fall. If he's having fun at home and you're getting lots of conversation, quality play and daily life education time in that way I don't see a need to change the school days.

As an aside, I'm curious what others think about the letter and number knowledge norms for this age and what's expected going into kindergarten.

My dd knew the alphabet, but could write uppercase letters only at the start of K.

JBaxter
11-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Jack is newly 5 and will do full day K in the fall. He does 4 days 8:45-12:30 it works out great I'm glad to have him with me on fridays. Nathan did 5 1/2 days they year before kindy but that was the program there. If he doesnt want to go more I would not send him He will be going full time soon enough

PZMommy
11-15-2013, 12:13 AM

The reading program that my school uses, pretty much assumes that kids know the alphabet and are able to write the letters. I find that about 90% of my students come in knowing all or most of the alphabet. The students that come in not knowing the alphabet really struggle. If they have helpful parents at home, they typically catch up and do okay. If they have uninvolved parents at home, they rarely catch up. The pace moves so quickly. As for numbers, they should know at least 1-10, but preferably 1-20. By the end of kindergarten need to recognize and write the numbers 1-100.