PDA

View Full Version : What should the reward be?

candaceb
11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
We went to a fall festival at a local farm with my sister and her family, who live 1.5 hours away. My BIL ended up losing his wedding ring and didn't realize it was missing until that evening. Through looking at photos, we knew it was lost at the farm, and guessed he lost it in the corn bin, which is like a gigantic sandbox filled with feed corn and toy trucks, tractors, etc.

DH, DS, and I rented a metal detector and went to try and find it. When we got there, the guy told us that the floor of the bin is metal so the metal detector wouldn't work. We dug for about a half hour, and decided it was futile. While we were there the farm guy said that they would be using an auger to get the corn out after the last day and they could put a screen down to try and catch the ring. Today, my sister got a call saying they had done that, and found the ring.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I told my sister she needs to give them a reward. We disagree on the amount.

The ring would cost about $1000 to replace.

What should the reward be?

sariana
11-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Do they have a web site or anything where you could write a phenomenal review? If they take in a lot of "tourism" money, positive feedback is a huge benefit to them long-term.

How much trouble was it for them to put down the screen?

I don't think you need to offer a big reward, and doing so might make them uncomfortable. Perhaps $50 would be appropriate, along with a heartfelt hand-written note of thanks for their kindness.

If they don't want to accept a reward, you could make a substantial purchase at their farm stand, if they have one.

Radosti
11-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I would write a fantastic review on both Facebook and the google reviews site that always comes up. Then, I would get an awesome bagel/various cream cheeses/muffins/Danishes tray and hand deliver with a very nice thank you card.

Green_Tea
11-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I would write a fantastic review on both Facebook and the google reviews site that always comes up. Then, I would get an awesome bagel/various cream cheeses/muffins/Danishes tray and hand deliver with a very nice thank you card.

I would do something like this. Maybe even deliver them lunch one day (Panera and Au Bon Pain have awesome catering options). I would not do cash.

Pennylane
11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
If an individual had found the ring , I would offer them $100. But I can't imagine any type of business accepting a reward. What he did was just really great customer service! I would still offer the money, but I would be shocked if they took it. If not, then I would write a great review and send them a personal letter of thanks.

Ann

candaceb
11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the input so far. To add a little more info, the guy who rigged up the system to find the ring is a tractor driver. He also takes care of the cows. I talked to him while we were digging. He did not have to make the effort to find it, it could have just been ground up into chicken feed.

Momit
11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Definitely sing their praises however you can - Facebook, Yelp, TripAdvisor or whatever. And send a nice note. A monetary reward for a business seems out of place, but if they really want to do something - maybe a basket of yummy pastries along with the note?

123LuckyMom
11-15-2013, 12:55 AM
I would give that awesome tractor driver $100. That was really nice of him!!! I would also call the company he works for and let them know what a great employee they have on their hands (if that would be appropriate. I didn't quite know whether the finder of the ring was an owner of the farm or just an employee. If he's an owner of the farm, I'd still give the money and give rave reviews wherever possible, and mention the farmer by name.)

tabegle
11-15-2013, 10:35 AM
I would give that awesome tractor driver $100. That was really nice of him!!! I would also call the company he works for and let them know what a great employee they have on their hands (if that would be appropriate. I didn't quite know whether the finder of the ring was an owner of the farm or just an employee. If he's an owner of the farm, I'd still give the money and give rave reviews wherever possible, and mention the farmer by name.)
:yeahthat:

Make sure you and your sil do the rave reviews on the various websites. That is really awesome customer service.

Cuckoomamma
11-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I would give the person who rigged the system up $100 in a card as a personal thank you and deliver it with muffins or bagels with coffee for the morning crew or whenever he works. I'd write the great reviews, as well, but if this was an employee, it's benefitting the business more than the person who found the ring. Many times I've gone the extra mile for people and it had nothing to do with my employer. It really makes your day when someone appreciates what you've done.

blisstwins
11-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I would give the person who rigged the system up $100 in a card as a personal thank you and deliver it with muffins or bagels with coffee for the morning crew or whenever he works. I'd write the great reviews, as well, but if this was an employee, it's benefitting the business more than the person who found the ring. Many times I've gone the extra mile for people and it had nothing to do with my employer. It really makes your day when someone appreciates what you've done.

Yes. At least $100 to the person who went out of their way A LOT, a thank you note, and a rave review.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-15-2013, 01:06 PM
:yeahthat: i'd do that.

candaceb
11-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the input. It has been interesting to see the varied responses. My BIL said $25. I said $100. My sister agreed to send me $50 and I am covering the rest. I would just not feel right with anything lower than $100. I am rewarding the guy who found the ring and is returning it rather than taking it to the pawn shop. I think a plate of Danish would be insufficient. And I am not willing to put any more time into this to do something like bake cookies. I have already put in several hours and it wasn't my problem to begin with. I'm going to get it later this afternoon. Karma is a bitch and it will catch up with BIL eventually ;)