PDA

View Full Version : S/O Anyone use Slacklines with kids?

ExcitedMamma
11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
The zipline thread had me wondering if anyone has any experience with these with little kids. We have been thinking about getting this for DS for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Gibbon-Funline-Slacklines-Blue-40-Feet/dp/B00BIBRQIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384467079&sr=8-1&keywords=Fun+slack+line

Thought it would be fun and active and different than just toys but no experience at all with them or any idea how hard it would be for little ones.

94bruin
11-14-2013, 08:37 PM
DD1 got this for Christmas last year. We don't use it that often because we don't really have the proper trees for it in our yard. The few times that we have set it up, the girls have both enjoyed it. However, I think it would take LOTS of practice to be able to do it by yourself. I think I saw some in the Heartsong Catalog this year - one comes with a separate line that use to hold onto (it's above the head.) We only have the slackline, so one adult has to hold onto whoever is on the line.

It's fun - DH & I enjoyed using it as well.

american_mama
11-15-2013, 01:42 AM
No experience, but I saw them for sale in several European toy stores. One salesperson said they're fun, portable, can be brought to a park, are popular with teenagers too, and are harder than they appear. There were two sets and she said for my kids (age 11 and under) to get the easier one, which probably means the wider one. But I didn't get any.

marie
11-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Santa brought DD1 the Slackers brand slackline last year (the one that PP mentioned seeing in Hearthsong - LLBean carries it, too). She loves it. DH progressed the most with it over the summer (and probably got the most use/enjoyment out of it). He can actually walk across it whereas no one else in the family can yet (without grabbing onto the training line or a hand). It's reallllllly hard and really great core work.

DD1 is tall enough/old enough to get on and off herself but DD2 is not.

It puts a lot of strain on the trees so DH would loosen it every once in a while to give them a break.

HTH!