PDA

View Full Version : Flight question....can you refuse to change planes at a layover?

joules
11-14-2013, 08:30 PM
So a flight from A to B is $200.
A flight from A to C, with a layover at B is $100.

So can I buy the $100 ticket and just skip the B to C leg of the journey?

nrp
11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Someone else probably has more info, but I have heard that if you do that on the outbound leg of a RT ticket, it can jeopardize your return. Of course, if it is a one-way or if it is only the return leg, I don't see the problem. Issue of course if you check bags, but I assume you would plan to just carry on.

o_mom
11-14-2013, 08:39 PM
If you are flying round trip, I believe they can cancel your return if you don't complete the second leg. Also, you obviously would not be able to check any bags.

joules
11-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Yes this would be the return leg of the trip. And yes, the bags would be carry on.

hwin708
11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
I've done this.

Technically, you're not supposed to. It's not illegal, but it's against airline policy. Googling it before I did it led me to some scary results about landing on an airline's no fly list, but in reality, it turned out to be very simple and not a problem at all. Though I would assume that doing it habitually could raise more of a red flag.

The main issue is luggage. If you need to check a bag, you're out of luck. It continues to your final destination. Trying to call beforehand to get your final destination changed to your layover, or discussing with the check-in agent - all won't work. Again, it's against airline policy - in large part BECAUSE of cheaper fares, and trying to prevent people from using these workarounds - and they absolutely will not change your luggage destination without changing your entire ticket, which would require a change fee (except on Southwest, but you are likely not experiencing this cheaper for one leg issue on Southwest). The only workaround would be if you were flying internationally, and had to grab your bags at customs, in which case you could indeed just leave with your bag, instead of rechecking it.

But if you just have a carry-on - no worries, just walk right on out the airport. If you feel bad about your connection being slightly held up while they call for you (it's so unheard of for airlines to hold planes for a late passenger any more, it's a very slim concern), you could always go to your next gate and simply inform the gate agent that you are feeling unwell, and will not be getting on your next flight. But that's up to you - really, nothing will happen to you if you just leave.

ETA: You clarified that the luggage was carry-on while I typed, so all you really need to hear - yes, I've done it. It's easy and you'll be fine.

hillview
11-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Yup I've done it. What are they going to do duct tape you to the seat. Possible issues are:
luggage check (more common) but even then it is usually planeside vs checked through to final destination if you make it to the gate with it but bins are full
flight rerouting (rare)

Yes it is against airline policy. I've done it when the next flight is delayed and it is easier to drive.

BDKmom
11-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Possible issues are:
luggage check (more common) but even then it is usually planeside vs checked through to final destination if you make it to the gate with it but bins are full

I flew last Friday from DFW to ATL, and the overhead bins filled up after about half the people had boarded. They checked the bags at the gate and they were checked through to baggage claim at passengers' final destinations. If the carry on fit under the seat, it could be brought on. If you had priority boarding for some reason, or your bag fits under the seat, no problem. Otherwise this could be an issue. My guess would be that this type of situation is happening more and more with folks not wanting to pay to check a bag, but I don't fly frequently, so I don't know how often this actually occurs.

Momit
11-14-2013, 10:28 PM
You can definitely do it on the return trip. I have in the past, and DH does it often as a frequent business traveler.

JamiMac
11-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Yes, you sure can do this! My DH left Hawaii early to go back and work so I flew on a red-eye from Kauai to LAX with my 2, 5 and 8 year old and all of our luggage, carseat and stroller as carry-ons! It was a ton of stuff and I was so scared they were going to have to take luggage and check it but that didn't happen. My DH then met us at us in LA and we stayed for a few days then drove to Dallas. It was actually cheaper to fly from Kauai to DFW than LAX so we just opted to not use that last leg of the flight.

joules
11-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info.

I am actually asking for my mom. She will be flying back to destination "B". My sister will actually be on the same flight from A to B. But my sister will continue on to destination "C", whereas my mom will just stay at B.

We just want to make sure we're not holding other people up. But we still feel a bit guilt for breaking the rules.

hwin708
11-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Oh, if your sister is continuing on the 2nd leg, and you feel guilty, definitely just have your sister tell the gate agent for the 2nd flight that her traveling companion was feeling ill, and decided to drive the rest of the way. They won't even blink.

joules
11-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Oh, if your sister is continuing on the 2nd leg, and you feel guilty, definitely just have your sister tell the gate agent for the 2nd flight that her traveling companion was feeling ill, and decided to drive the rest of the way. They won't even blink.

Thanks. good idea.

Jen841
11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Another pitch for making sure luggage does not need to be checked. Late boarding groups can lead to all overhead storage being full. If you are on a small plane they may force all passengers to check.

United just changed their carry on policy and they were making everyone put their bags on the size checkers and were forcing them to be checked Thursday when I flew. I did 3 flights in 2 days and had to check my carry on once b/c all overheads were full and I was in boarding group 5 (and I checked in 24 hrs prior).

daniele_ut
11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Another pitch for making sure luggage does not need to be checked. Late boarding groups can lead to all overhead storage being full. If you are on a small plane they may force all passengers to check.

United just changed their carry on policy and they were making everyone put their bags on the size checkers and were forcing them to be checked Thursday when I flew. I did 3 flights in 2 days and had to check my carry on once b/c all overheads were full and I was in boarding group 5 (and I checked in 24 hrs prior).

I flew in and out of JFK on Delta a few weeks ago and had a rolling suitcase that I thought met the requirements. It was about 1/2" too thick to fit in Delta's size checker and I was forced to check it on the flight to JFK. All the bags were checked through to the final destination and came off at baggage claim. I didn't have to check it on the way home but several people who boarded near the end of the boarding window did.

hwin708
11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
I agree with others that there is always a chance of being forced to gate check a carry-on.

Your best bet would be to try to ensure an early boarding group. On United, for instance, that means selecting a window seat, since they board window, then middle, then aisle. So if your mother selects an aisle seat, she will be in the final boarding group, increasing her odds that all overhead bins are full. In an earlier boarding group, the bins shouldn't be full, and the flight attendant shouldn't be telling people to gate check. Now if the gate agent sees that the flight is full, and starts randomly selecting people to gate check before boarding, your mother included, my best advice would be to just get the gate check tag, wheel the bag down the runway, out of sight of the gate agent, and just remove the tag and proceed on to the plane with the bag.