PDA

View Full Version : swim device for toddler?

lmh2402
11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
we're going to the Caribbean in Jan - DD will be 18 months. She loves the water and is fiercely independent so anticipate royal battles if I try to keep her restrained in our arms the entire time we're in the pools.

we obviously wouldn't let her be off on her own, but is there anything I can use to let her have a little bit of space away from my arms/body? i think she's too young for swimmies, right?

thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2013, 10:48 PM
A coast guard approved floatation device it life jacket would be good. Otherwise, a sit in float like this is fun and should be easy-ish to pack: http://www.onestepahead.com/mobile/Seasonal/Outdoor-Toys/Baby-Spring-Float-Activity-Center-1.pro?fpi=103567&catCd=2W&prefixCode=2W

AnnieW625
11-14-2013, 10:48 PM
I have never tried them, but Stearns Puddle Jumpers are popular. Target usually keeps them year round, at least out here.
http://m.target.com/p/stearns-puddle-jumper-3d-girls/-/A-14348000

lmh2402
11-14-2013, 10:58 PM
thanks guys! Annie, that looks perfect! Beth, we had something like what you linked to last year - I know she's going to want more freedom than that

thanks again!

Indianamom2
11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Puddlejumpers are FABULOUS. I got one for Ds (4) and he loves it. It doesn't ride up like a life-vest, but it is very secure and even though the weight limit was something like 40 pounds, I could hold it and float, so it's very effective. I believe they're also coastguard approved.

twotimesblue
11-14-2013, 11:04 PM
DS1 LOVED his puddle jumper before he learned to swim (at age 3). Our local pool started stocking them as their loan-out floaters after they saw ours last summer... it is coastguard-approved as a life saving device and really helped my DS to feel confident in the water.

I believe they are supposed to be 30lbs plus kiddos, though, so if your DD is on the lighter side it may not work for her yet.

twowhat?
11-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Puddle jumpers are great. But I think they're better for 30 lbs+ (look up the recommended weight range). How big is your DD? They also require some small level of motor skills (child has to learn to keep themselves upright vs tipped onto their back) - takes an afternoon of swimming for some kids to learn. So I could see some 18 mos not being quite ready for it and others being fine with it (depending on their size).

If your child is within the size range (or close to it, anyway), I think they're a fabulous option for pools (maybe not for the ocean). Our kids used them and I still recommend them even though we ended up taking ISR lessons (which discourages the use of any flotation devices in pools). It enabled me to manage both kids in the water and for everyone to have fun.

vonfirmath
11-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I have never tried them, but Stearns Puddle Jumpers are popular. Target usually keeps them year round, at least out here.
http://m.target.com/p/stearns-puddle-jumper-3d-girls/-/A-14348000

I recommend these

We had one with DS when he was 2 and it was perfect. (it lasted through 4 but he was too big in the arms at age 5 to use it. Pretty much didn't need it though)

mikala
11-14-2013, 11:18 PM
A coast guard approved floatation device it life jacket would be good. Otherwise, a sit in float like this is fun and should be easy-ish to pack: http://www.onestepahead.com/mobile/Seasonal/Outdoor-Toys/Baby-Spring-Float-Activity-Center-1.pro?fpi=103567&catCd=2W&prefixCode=2W

If you get one of these you might want to try it in a local pool before bothering to pack it. I got a similar one for DS2 and starting around 13 mo he just pushes down with his arms, lifts a leg up into the crotch support and essentially crawls out of it.

scrooks
11-14-2013, 11:20 PM
We love puddlejumpers here too! Dd and ds1 both have used them. Dd was 6 this summer and is not a great swimmer yet and still liked to use hers to float around the deep end of our neighborhood pool. Love them!

lmh2402
11-14-2013, 11:33 PM
thanks guys

she's currently 26 lbs, so i'm thinking by the end of Jan she should be close enough

i ordered through amazon b/c it was best price i found plus prime shipping

thanks again!

rin
11-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Chiming in to say that we've let DD2 use a puddlejumper since she was just under a year old, and she's loved it!! She is still just shy of 30 lbs, but she's been able to use it just fine. We obviously always stay within arms' reach of her, and there is a bit of a learning curve (they need to know how to keep their heads up), but at 16 months and 28ish pounds she's pretty good with it.

vonfirmath
11-15-2013, 01:28 AM
thanks guys

she's currently 26 lbs, so i'm thinking by the end of Jan she should be close enough

i ordered through amazon b/c it was best price i found plus prime shipping

thanks again!

DS was less than 30 pounds (about 28) when he first wore his.

sunnyside
11-15-2013, 03:43 AM
My 28 pound girl loves the puddle jumper, but she is also 3 years old.

mackmama
11-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Puddle jumpers are so great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)