PDA

View Full Version : Screening for ADHD, other learning issues -- structure in the home

KBecks
11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Hi Everybody,

I'm Karen, used to be a frequent participant here, but have been gone… for a long time… my three boys are out of the strollers (still in car seats) but we're waaaay past the baby stage.

DS1 is 9 years old -- his school has requested that we see his pediatrician for attention issues. We have just received forms and I am not sure that he will be diagnosed with ADHD because there are not many behaviors at home that are on the symptom worksheet we received.

He is doing fine with reading and math. Spelling and writing are a big challenge. He will fidget and make many excuses when he does not want to do things.

I am pretty laid back and think that maybe I need more structure in the home, my kid needs more responsibilities and I could be more organized.

The spelling and writing thing is tough. He has always been a very low volume writer. His work production is not sufficient for grade level in writing. And he seems to be doing other things (reading) when it's time for math and writing tasks.

Anyway, we are checking with the pediatrician and will likely have additional testing to see if there is something going on.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks so much.

o_mom
11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
I would not think your structure or lack of it at home is causing this. Most kids with ADHD I know make it obvious they need more structure at home because they are getting in trouble without it. If you aren't having problems at home, I wouldn't change anything.

I would get a comprehensive evaluation - there are so many things that could cause what you describe. I would also ask the school to evaluate him. Since they have indicated there is a problem, they should be on board with it.

lovin2shop
11-15-2013, 09:34 AM
No advice, but just thought I would say that it is nice to "see" you KBecks!

Jenny_A
11-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi Karen! I remember you! It's really nice to see your name pop up! Has your son had "ADHD like" issues every year in school or has it just been this year? I'm finding that the teacher and class dynamics make a big difference as to what type of year we have with my 7 year old daughter. Her Kindergarten teacher saw ADHD issues with her. I decided to hold off having her evaluated and she's done great in both first and second grades.

I'm glad you are seeing your pediatrician. He/She should be able to give you some good insight.

I would also like to say that I agree that your structure or lack of it at home is not causing this.

Hugs to you!

egoldber
11-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Karen!!!!

I agree with o_mom. One of the requirements for an ADHD diagnosis is that the symptoms be present in 2 locations, typically school and home. Also that the symptoms were present before the age of 6.

The spelling and writing thing is tough. He has always been a very low volume writer. His work production is not sufficient for grade level in writing. And he seems to be doing other things (reading) when it's time for math and writing tasks.

This could be ADHD-Inattentive. But it could also indicate writing issues, vision issues, reading issues, etc. I would ask for a more comprehensive evaluation vs. just an ADHD eval, which is often just a series of checklists.

KpbS
11-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi there! :wavey: I remember you too as our oldests are the same age. I also agree with getting a full eval. DS1 also has some attention issues. He is a big reader and will often get lost in a book or thoughts and forgets to complete tasks at home. Things are better at school but he often wants to rush through work (spelling and math) and those subjects are showing it. I don't know how much he can slow down and double check answers or whether he is having a real problem. Ive read that 4th grade is often when attention problems become very evident.

inmypjs
11-15-2013, 06:24 PM
I would get a referral (or just go on your own if you don't need one) for a neuropsych eval or a developmental ped. Pediatricians are typically going to prescribe meds based on behavioral reports. If that is the direction you want to go, then the ped can get it done. But if you want a more in-depth eval and a firm diagnosis, testing for ADD/ADHD and other learning issues, they are not going to do that. As another poster mentioned, it could be lots of things producing these symptoms. I have found schools are very comfortable telling a parent to talk to a doctor about ADD/ADHD, but they rarely say - see a developmental optometrist about vision, get some tests for auditory processing, or get an OT evaluation. All of those problems can look like attention problems.

One book I would definitely recommend is "The Mislabled Child" by the Eides. Such a great resource for learning issues and will help you see where your child is strong and what "inputs" and "outputs" are weak or problematic.

Have you looked into dysgraphia? The writing output problem sounds a bit like that. You said he is reading, but I am mentioning "stealth" dyslexia as something to look into because a majority of kids with dysgraphia also have some degree of dyslexia.

Overall, my advice would be to seek out the best professionals in your area to help sort this out. A pediatrician is more of a generalist, though they can be a good place to start for a referral. Though the best professionals I've found have come from other parents.

Melbel
11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
No advice, but just thought I would say that it is nice to "see" you KBecks!

:yeahthat: Hi Karen! I hope you are well!

KBecks
11-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the book suggestion. I am not sure how things work with our health insurance… I *think* we need a referral to see a person to get a neuropsych evaluation. I've talked with 2 parents of special needs kids, but no recommendations yet for great docs. I have the name of a vision therapy clinic but I'm not feeling that that's our issue, or at least not where we should start with checking things out.

I have come across the term dysgraphia but not sure if this applies to DS1 or not, I would rely on a professional to assess that. But we need to check for those types of things.

On the evaluation form we received from the pediatrician, our home report is not hitting a lot of the triggers for ADHD. I wonder if there is something else going on, or if our son is more immature / not as well disciplined. There is definitely something going on with spelling and writing though.

vludmilla
11-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi Karen!!!!

I agree with o_mom. One of the requirements for an ADHD diagnosis is that the symptoms be present in 2 locations, typically school and home. Also that the symptoms were present before the age of 6.

This is not correct. The diagnostic criteria have changed. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/ADHD%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

I agree with considering a comprehensive evaluation from the school district.

maestramommy
11-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Hi Karen!!!!

I agree with o_mom. One of the requirements for an ADHD diagnosis is that the symptoms be present in 2 locations, typically school and home.

I'm glad to know this. Dh and I had been an ongoing discussion about DD2's behavior, but after her parent conference yesterday it's clear that her behavioral issues are only at home, or within the context of our family. She's a model child at school apparently.