PDA

View Full Version : Do antibiotics work really fast, or did I not have mastitis?

sarahsthreads
11-15-2013, 10:28 AM
DS has been starting to sleep longer (5-6 hour) stretches, and yesterday morning I woke up painfully engorged (seriously as bad as when my milk came in) and even after nursing him I didn't feel much relief. I also had a headache, so I took some ibuprofen and went about my day. A few hours later, when the ibuprofen started wearing off, I realized I had a fever, and then it occurred to me that I had all the classic symptoms of mastitis, including the swollen, red area on one breast, high fever and chills. Just talking with the midwife over the phone she agreed that was likely what I had and called in a prescription for antibiotics for me.

I've only taken two doses so far. I still have a bit of pain and redness, but my fever is completely gone and I no longer feel like I've been hit by a freight train. Can 12 or so hours on antibiotics actually make this happen, or did I not need them in the first place? I mean, I guess now that I've started taking them I have to finish the course, but I'm so worried about how this will affect DS and - yes, this is pathetic - I feel like four times a day on an empty stomach is going to be really hard to manage while nursing...I can barely manage to feed myself some days, let alone at a consistent time.

Also, if I were going to try to take probiotics, when would I do this in relation to the 4x/day antibiotics? Would it be enough to just eat yogurt daily? (I seem to remember the last time I tried to take probiotics the pills were absolutely enormous and really difficult to swallow - but it's been years since I had to take antibiotics so maybe there are more options now?) What about DS? If I take probiotics will that also prevent any thrush/yeast issues with him, or will it not make a difference?

Sarah :)

HipMama
11-15-2013, 10:49 AM
If you felt like death and had all the signs then it was probably mastitis. I would continue the abx. There are tones of choices for probiotics now; pill, liquid, powder. I always take some when I take abx (not at the same time!). When I had mastitis when DS was 8 weeks I even broke open a capsule and put some in his mouth. Worked for us. Good luck and I'm glad you are feeling better.

The ones i took were Cultrelle http://www.culturelle.com

hellokitty
11-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, if it was mastitis, women usually see quite an improvement within 24-48 hrs of starting ATBs. I understand it bothering your tummy, but I would continue the course of ATBs as prescribed. As for probiotics, I get the 10/20 one of the vitacost brand and am happy with it. And yes, taking a probiotic can definitely help avoid thrush, esp if you have a history of thrush.

lizzywednesday
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Keep taking the antibiotics - you feel better now because they're working.

When I had mastitis, I got the antibiotics, took a dose & ibuprofen, went to bed, and felt a zillion times better when I woke up. I was still a bit sore, but the stubble on my legs felt like regular stubble, rather than pinpricks of stabby pain.

Definitely take the probiotics; my DD was older than your DS when I had mastitis (7 mo's vs. 3 mo's) so we gave her yogurt to help counteract the antibiotics in my milk.

dogmom
11-15-2013, 11:21 AM
I had Giardia once for months. After one dose I felt less nauseous, I had been unable to keep food down at all for 2 weeks. After 2 doses I had no symptoms at all. In the hospital I see people near death and 24 hours after the right antibiotic there are out of danger. So they can work that fast.

AnnieW625
11-15-2013, 11:30 AM
I have never had mastitis (I was a big leaker with DD1, a little less with DD2 that I would get up at 3 am an pump a bit off when she started sleeping through the night by 10 weeks), but in my case yes antibiotics for an infection work very quickly for me esp. for ear infections (and work quickly for my kids as well).

As far as probiotics go you can get Jarrow brand which you mix in water, except TBH I find the whole line of the correct probiotic mix really confusing so when I was taking them regularly I was just taking Culturelle. I have also taken Align before but I think I like Culturelle more because there is no gastro issues (sometimes I had runny #2 with Align).

Glad you are getting better.

sarahsthreads
11-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys! I really am feeling so much better now, and I'll have to get my hands on some probiotics soon...the kids have a half day of school today so I don't really have time to go run errands before the bus comes. I'll see if I can get Culturelle. In the meantime I'll go eat some yogurt.

I don't know why this didn't happen when the girls started sleeping for longer stretches, I've always been an overproducer of milk.

llama8
11-15-2013, 03:53 PM
If the right antibiotic is prescribed and the infection is not too bad, you can feel better in a matter of hours.

AngB
11-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I am pretty sure I had mastitis with DS1, but it was at night and for whatever reason I didn't think to call my ob. I nursed DS nonstop on the hurt side as much as I could and took tylenol and slept and by 12 hours later I was much better without abx at all.

Kindra178
11-15-2013, 05:44 PM
DS has been starting to sleep longer (5-6 hour) stretches, and yesterday morning I woke up painfully engorged (seriously as bad as when my milk came in) and even after nursing him I didn't feel much relief. I also had a headache, so I took some ibuprofen and went about my day. A few hours later, when the ibuprofen started wearing off, I realized I had a fever, and then it occurred to me that I had all the classic symptoms of mastitis, including the swollen, red area on one breast, high fever and chills. Just talking with the midwife over the phone she agreed that was likely what I had and called in a prescription for antibiotics for me.

I've only taken two doses so far. I still have a bit of pain and redness, but my fever is completely gone and I no longer feel like I've been hit by a freight train. Can 12 or so hours on antibiotics actually make this happen, or did I not need them in the first place? I mean, I guess now that I've started taking them I have to finish the course, but I'm so worried about how this will affect DS and - yes, this is pathetic - I feel like four times a day on an empty stomach is going to be really hard to manage while nursing...I can barely manage to feed myself some days, let alone at a consistent time.

Also, if I were going to try to take probiotics, when would I do this in relation to the 4x/day antibiotics? Would it be enough to just eat yogurt daily? (I seem to remember the last time I tried to take probiotics the pills were absolutely enormous and really difficult to swallow - but it's been years since I had to take antibiotics so maybe there are more options now?) What about DS? If I take probiotics will that also prevent any thrush/yeast issues with him, or will it not make a difference?

I had mastitis with the twins, about 2 or 3 weeks post partum. I felt 90% better in 24 hours. I had a 103 fever on Sunday night and no fever the next day.

alexsmommy
11-15-2013, 06:04 PM
The third time I had it I knew all of the signs so caught it early. I literally felt 80% better 4-6 hours after my first dose.

ShanaMama
11-17-2013, 03:54 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but yes, it sounds like you had mastitis & caught it early & the abx worked fast. I know it's a freaking pain to finish all 90 pills 4x day but please do. It won't kill the mastitis completely if you stop in the middle. When I had mastitis the fever got so high & I was so sick I was unable to roll from side to side. DH had to turn my body. I am traumatized from that experience & super aggressive when it comes to breast infections.

Probiotics also comes in a powder form that you can add to anything. I don't recall if the meds for mastitis cause thrush as easily as typical abx. Are you on Doxyciline (sp?)?

ETA: oops, just read the replies & saw your update. I am glad you're feeling back to yourself. Take good care of mama!

ShanaMama
11-17-2013, 03:59 AM
I am pretty sure I had mastitis with DS1, but it was at night and for whatever reason I didn't think to call my ob. I nursed DS nonstop on the hurt side as much as I could and took tylenol and slept and by 12 hours later I was much better without abx at all.

You might have had a plugged duct & were able to unclog it with nursing. If it was mastitis you probably would have gotten fever & felt worse rather than better. I had mastitis once with DD2 & was so so sick. At least twice since I'm nursing DS I had the beginnings of a plugged duct. I literally dropped everything & either got into the shower to massage myself or got into bed with the baby. It helped that DH really encouraged me (read forced me) to be aggressive. I guess he's as traumatized as I am from the one terrible mastitis.

essnce629
11-17-2013, 04:34 AM
The new protocol is not to give antibiotics immediately, only if symptoms don't improve after 12-24 hours of aggressive treatment at home.

Per the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine’s Clinical Protocol for Mastitis:

“If symptoms of mastitis are mild and have been present for less than 24 hours, conservative management (effective milk removal and supportive measures) may be sufficient. If symptoms are not improving within 12-24 hours or if the woman is acutely ill, antibiotics should be started.”
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

I never had mastitis with DS1, but did with DS2. I don't remember exactly how old he was old, but it was older than 9 weeks since we had moved back to CA already. It started while DH and I were in the movie theater-- hard, painful, heavy on one side of one breast and once I got home I had a fever, chills, and just felt awful. I nursed, nursed, nursed and did super hot compresses and things got better on their own by the next morning. I had a doula client in the past who kept getting recurrent mastitis and she had read to put your whole breast in a bowl of hot water and massage any plugged ducts and hand express. That's what I did and in the hot shower too. I would have called for antibiotics if things hadn't improved by the 24 hr mark though. But you have to get the milk out-- either by nursing, hand expressing, or pumping.

Mommy_Mea
11-17-2013, 07:07 AM
I had mastitis once with DS1. I sat in the hottest bath possible, submerged the plugged duct and massaged and compressed until it finally released. I had to press incredibly hard to unplug the duct, almost in tears with how much it hurt to press that hard. And it took quite a while, but literally the minute it released, I felt 100% better. Fever gone, hotness gone, back to normal!

Nursing and pumping never worked for me when I got a plugged duct, sitting the tub was always my best bet!

hellokitty
11-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Op, if you have want to avoid plugged ducts, which for whatever reason are more common in the colder months, go to the natural health store and get some lecithin. It will help to prevent plugged ducts, if it is a problem for you.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Kindra178
11-17-2013, 01:01 PM
The new protocol is not to give antibiotics immediately, only if symptoms don't improve after 12-24 hours of aggressive treatment at home.

Per the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine’s Clinical Protocol for Mastitis:

“If symptoms of mastitis are mild and have been present for less than 24 hours, conservative management (effective milk removal and supportive measures) may be sufficient. If symptoms are not improving within 12-24 hours or if the woman is acutely ill, antibiotics should be started.”
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

I never had mastitis with DS1, but did with DS2. I don't remember exactly how old he was old, but it was older than 9 weeks since we had moved back to CA already. It started while DH and I were in the movie theater-- hard, painful, heavy on one side of one breast and once I got home I had a fever, chills, and just felt awful. I nursed, nursed, nursed and did super hot compresses and things got better on their own by the next morning. I had a doula client in the past who kept getting recurrent mastitis and she had read to put your whole breast in a bowl of hot water and massage any plugged ducts and hand express. That's what I did and in the hot shower too. I would have called for antibiotics if things hadn't improved by the 24 hr mark though. But you have to get the milk out-- either by nursing, hand expressing, or pumping.

Interesting. I had a pretty severe clogged duct with ds1. It was very painful. He nursed like crazy, we did massage and it worked itself out. With the twins, I had 103 fever and was literally hallucinating. Every ounce of my body hurt. Achy legs. I could barely walk. I don't think waiting would have helped me.

AngB
11-17-2013, 01:53 PM
You might have had a plugged duct & were able to unclog it with nursing. If it was mastitis you probably would have gotten fever & felt worse rather than better. I had mastitis once with DD2 & was so so sick. At least twice since I'm nursing DS I had the beginnings of a plugged duct. I literally dropped everything & either got into the shower to massage myself or got into bed with the baby. It helped that DH really encouraged me (read forced me) to be aggressive. I guess he's as traumatized as I am from the one terrible mastitis.

No, I did have a fever/chills/body aches. It just got better on it's own with lots of nursing, makes sense with the new recs.