PDA

View Full Version : Have you had AF return after birth of DC, only to have it disappear again later?? TMI

MamaSnoo
11-15-2013, 04:10 PM
So- I am wondering about menopause or what is going on.....

DS is about 18 months old. AF returned when he was 5-6 months old, despite nursing/pumping full time. I had periods about every 35-40 days (long than my pre-preg cycles) for the next 9-10 months. And then they stopped. My LMP was 61 days ago. I have never been one to miss periods- not even when I first started cycling. I do not have PCOS, and I am probably more fit and less insulin resistant than any other time in the past 10 years.

I stopped pumping when DS was 13 months, and he still nurses in the evenings and overnight- usually about 4 times/day when I work and 6x/a day if I am off with him.

Can lactational ammenorrhea come back? I have taken a couple of negative pregnancy tests. I am a couple years short of 40, so menopause would be early for me. I do not have other menopausal symptoms.

Has this happened to anyone else?

swissair81
11-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I have been very irregular postpartum. AF tends to show up late and then disappear for a month or two (or three). I have a different weird problem though. I'm 15 months pp and AF hasn't shown up at all. I haven't had a period in two years. However, I seem to be getting phantom periods with awful cramping and moodiness, but no bleeding. I have zero idea what that is. It is quite weird. All my pregnancy tests are negative, despite what my 6.5 year old seems to be telling the whole world. I guess she wishes.

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2013, 10:40 PM
At a risk of being a board cliche- it wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid tested. A wonky thyroid can cause that.

essnce629
11-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Your DS still seems to be nursing a lot, but with DS1, when he started nursing less my periods got all wonky for 2-3 months. Because of the boards I actually had my thyroid tested but it was fine. I started having spotting randomly mid-cycle and my cycle was longer. He was probably around 19-21 months at the time. My cycles eventually went back to normal and DS1 weaned on his own a few months later.