PDA

View Full Version : My finances are none of your business

petesgirl
11-15-2013, 07:07 PM
SIL sent out an email the other day saying her and BIL are planning a trip to Disney World in 2015 and want to invite other family members. They gave a relative cost per couple that they had priced out and acknowledged that even though it is still a long way off and things can change they want to know who has ANY interest at all.
I didn't respond right away because I know finances will probably be tight for us--we are adding a baby next year and I am contemplating quitting my PT job then. DH also wants to make a career change in 2014 that will decrease his salary for the first 3 years. Honestly, we will have to par back on a lot of extras for those first 3 years. Finally I just said something like 'it sounds fun but we will have to see where our finances are at the time, we have some big changes coming up next year.'
Well, now I have 2 SILs sending me emails about budgeting and how much I should start saving every month now so we can go on a trip. One email even related the bible story of Joseph in Egypt and how he saved when times were good! Well, I do have savings but that will go toward diapers and wipes first thank you very much.
Now get out of my personal finances!

YouAreTheFocus
11-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Ugh, that would totally rub me the wrong way, too! My FIL and BIL are often trying to stick their noses into our finances and it really ticks me off. I think what you emailed is totally sufficient and they should have respected it. I hate when ppl take it upon themselves to be "helpful" in these situations!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, now I have 2 SILs sending me emails about budgeting and how much I should start saving every month now so we can go on a trip. One email even related the bible story of Joseph in Egypt and how he saved when times were good!

What-the-WHUCK? I would be so miffed at that! I hate it when people speak in condescending tone, like you have no idea what you are talking about, you couldn't possibly know about saving money. Seriously, i think for the majority of families , even upper-middle class, a trip with young kiddos WDW is not typically in the budget, and it's not for lack of saving or whatever.

I can't believe BOTH your SIL's sent you that!

BunnyBee
11-15-2013, 08:14 PM
WWJosephDo? Go to Disney World? :ROTFLMAO:

wencit
11-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Seriously, I would be really tempted to send my SILs emails about minding their own business. Is there a Bible story about that? ;)

123LuckyMom
11-15-2013, 08:47 PM
How about these?
http://www.openbible.info/topics/minding_your_own_business

One of my favorites from this list is 1Peter 4:15 where meddlers are listed with murderers, thrives, and evildoers!

petesgirl
11-15-2013, 09:09 PM

I know, right???
I sent back an email that just 'well, it sounds really fun but taking care of our children is our first priority.'

Grrr.

hillview
11-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Um yeah that would piss me off to no end. Sorry that sucks.

georgiegirl
11-15-2013, 09:31 PM

LMAO!

Sorry your family is not minding their own business.

Indianamom2
11-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Seriously, i think for the majority of families , even upper-middle class, a trip with young kiddos WDW is not typically in the budget, and it's not for lack of saving or whatever.

I completely agree. Sorry that your family is pressuring you...I have Disney nut family too and I completely get it.

ahisma
11-15-2013, 10:51 PM

Really. Just send that as a one-liner reply. Let them wonder.

I had a friend who really wanted us to take a joint family trip to Disney. Besides the money issue, DS2 is an anxiety kid PLUS he hates lines and crowds. Full on recipe for disaster. I mentioned it to his therapist who looked like I suggested that we send him to the moon.

ha98ed14
11-16-2013, 01:35 AM
How about these?
http://www.openbible.info/topics/minding_your_own_business

One of my favorites from this list is 1Peter 4:15 where meddlers are listed with murderers, thrives, and evildoers!

I was on board until they threw in "approaching a woman in her time of menstrual impurity..." ;)

MamaSnoo
11-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I was on board until they threw in "approaching a woman in her time of menstrual impurity..." ;)

But that is perfect! OP should just reply to SIL that she anticipates that the trip will be during "her time of menstrual impurity," and that the family is sorry to miss the trip. I cannot imagine there would be any FU questions after that!

hellokitty
11-16-2013, 01:01 PM
That sucks. I get that kind of judging and lectures, although not biblical, from my parents. They wanted to go to Hawaii and I mentioned that it would be really expensive for our family to go and so they felt that something must be wrong with us to not be able to go on a frickin trip to Hawaii on a whim, and that we must be destitute! Like your dh, mine is also looking to change jobs. So we are not taking any big trips for the time being. I empathize with you being on the receiving end of this type of chastising shaming.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I think if she pushes the whole savings thing, just say Disney is not a priority to you and you are saving for other things. How annoying.

cookiemonster80
11-16-2013, 09:38 PM
One email even related the bible story of Joseph in Egypt and how he saved when times were good! Well, I do have savings but that will go toward diapers and wipes first thank you very much.
Now get out of my personal finances!

This is crazy- because you ARE using the good years to save for the bad!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

twowhat?
11-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Seriously, i think for the majority of families , even upper-middle class, a trip with young kiddos WDW is not typically in the budget, and it's not for lack of saving or whatever.

I can't believe BOTH your SIL's sent you that!

YES!! I'm embarrassed for your SILs. A trip to Disney Anything is NOT a drop in the bucket!