PDA

View Full Version : Disney with a 6 week old?

u2ecila
11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi,
I am due (today) any day now, and my in laws have invited us to join them with my SIL and 3 preteen/teen neices for a week at Disney over Christmas holidays. So our little one would be 4-6 weeks old. I plan on breastfeeding and pumping as needed.

How crazy is this idea? Any suggestions on how to make it work well? At this point, as much as I would love to go, I am leaning towards waiting until next summer to visit the park, although being 40 weeks pregnant makes even the thought of grocery shopping exhausting at this point!

:)
Alice

PZMommy
11-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't do it. For one thing there are too many germs around, and I'd be terrified of my baby getting sick. My 3 week old caught what appeared to be a typical cold, but was actually RSV and spent a week in ICU and now has lung damage. I can't imagine what all they could be exposed to at Disney. Plus you never know how you will be feeling, how the birth will go, how much sleep you will be getting etc. I would pass and go at a different time.

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
I'd do it. Newborns are so easy to travel with. But, my answer assumes you are staying on site, can use their transport and can easily splinter off from the group and go back to the hotel with baby for rests as needed. It wouldn't work if you have to carpool or travel fat between parks and hotel. Wear the baby to keep them close and hands off of them. Hmmm. Now I'm on the fence. I don't think it's impossible. I think it may be easier than with a one year old but maybe not worth the germs, crowds, exhaustion... If you were going to a tropical resort instead, I'd do it bc you'll be exhausted no matter where you are, might as well be somewhere nice. But Disney is so go, go, go.

egoldber
11-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Have you been to WDW before? It will be VERY VERY crowded at that time.

Do you think you will be OK nursing in public? 6 week olds nurse a lot and are often going through a growth spurt and can be very fussy. I took younger DD at 12 weeks, but she was my second and I nursed anywhere. There are lots of great places to nurse in public at WDW, but if you're planning to use the Baby Stations, then you may just have to camp there.

I also wasn't feeling that great at 6 weeks post partum.

Personally, I wouldn't do it and I love WDW.

KLD313
11-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't because I ended up with a c-section and wasn't feeling near 100% 4 to 6 weeks out.

hellokitty
11-16-2013, 11:57 AM
I'd do it, nb are easy. Just bring a good sling and the baby will be happy. I would NOT bother bringing the pump, it's one extra hassle to deal with, and unless you are returning to work, it's best to nurse directly and avoid the bottle during the first six wks. Just nurse the baby as needed, it's so much easier, and please don't feel that you have to go to the baby care stations, if you are nervous about nursing in public, just bring a nursing cover up. Truly, nobody cares, I see women nursing at WDW all of the time, nobody even bats an eye, so please don't feel like you have to pump and give the baby a bottle, that will just make it more work for you.

elektra
11-16-2013, 12:03 PM
I think that would be really tough, and I did go on a vacation when DS was 6 weeks. We went to Hawaii, and I was in a bikini the whole time which made frequent breastfeeding really easy. I was also able to lounge around quite a bit as is the nature of a Kauai vacation. I think constantly schlepping around WDW would not be as easy, although it could be done especially if you wear the baby the whole time. DS was super fussy at that age though and we would have two hour crying sessions every night which was no fun for anyone, but in the condo situation I was able to retreat to another room. The germs are a issue too but that isn't as concerning to me, as even though my kids have been exposed to some nasty stuff, I am more in the camp of getting out there and living life, while trying my best to wash hands often while doing so!

123LuckyMom
11-16-2013, 12:44 PM
If you had an older child who really wanted to go, or if you reeeeeally wanted to go, I'd tell you to go for it, but if neither of those is the case, I wouldn't. You don't know if your six week old will be colicky. There is no way I could have taken DS to Disney at six weeks! It might not be a problem, but it might. You might not be up to walking over 10 miles a day, which is what Disney requires. If you can wait, then wait. Disney will still be there.

belovedgandp
11-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I'd lean towards no just because of the time of year and age of the baby.

I DID go when DS2 was 14 weeks old and had a fabulous time. I'd totally do that again in a heart beat. But those 8 weeks make a huge difference. He lived in the sling and slept just about everywhere. I was an experienced second time mother with no issues breastfeeding in public.

DS1 was 3 1/2 and thrilled to be there.

But at 6 weeks after a c-section I was finally feeling human again, I needed those two additional months to get my routine and clear head kind of back.

BabyBearsMom
11-17-2013, 08:16 AM
I would do it. Get a good baby carrier bc at that age my kids did not enjoy the stroller but at least it won't be boiling hot while you are wearing the baby. Then have a fun time with your family. I travelled with DD2 when she was 10 weeks and it was such a breeze. I was nursing so there were no feeding supplies to worry about. I wore her in the moby everywhere we went so we had tons of snuggle time. We co-slept at that point so no need to bring a pack n play. DH, DD1 and I have such wondeful memories of that trip.

jam224
11-17-2013, 09:35 AM
As a first-time mom, I wouldn't go. I would wait until next summer. My personal experience, but it took a while for DD and I to get established with breastfeeding. She wasn't a quick eater either. There are just so many unknown variables, it's difficult to know if you guys would be up for the trip or not.

Otherwise, WDW was a lot of fun and there are lots of places to nurse with a nursing cover (we went when DD was 9 months old). If you have a lot of family support willing to help you with the baby, that would help you to enjoy Disney more.

KrisM
11-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I'd do it. Newborns are so easy to travel with. But, my answer assumes you are staying on site, can use their transport and can easily splinter off from the group and go back to the hotel with baby for rests as needed. It wouldn't work if you have to carpool or travel fat between parks and hotel. Wear the baby to keep them close and hands off of them. Hmmm. Now I'm on the fence. I don't think it's impossible. I think it may be easier than with a one year old but maybe not worth the germs, crowds, exhaustion... If you were going to a tropical resort instead, I'd do it bc you'll be exhausted no matter where you are, might as well be somewhere nice. But Disney is so go, go, go.

I've read that it is so busy at Christmas, that the parks will close. So, if you go back to a resort, you might not get back in.

I've not been there, but I don't think I would do it with a newborn. The pictures just look so very, very crowded, I'd not enjoy it with a newborn.