PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Khan Academy for dc?

JustMe
11-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I am trying this for dd.

My question is--what do you do to help determine what your dc works on?

I initially had her take the pretest and let it come up with what she should work on, which seemed like a good idea. However, there are things I want her to work on/want to be able to show her school how she is doing.

What is the best way to find what you want?

mommylamb
11-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't but I heard a piece about it on a TED talk (I think it was TED talk anyway) and it sounded really interesting.

twowhat?
11-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I have no idea but I'm interested in hearing more about it. I first read about it in Costco magazine, LOL:)

egoldber
11-16-2013, 04:02 PM
We have used it occasionally to learn a specific skill or to learn a different way of looking at a problem.

The videos are all excellent from what I can tell, but I have never tried to use them for what you want to do.

brittone2
11-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Not as an exclusive curriculum, but we do use it as a supplement here and there. DS1 has an interest in cryptography, and completed the cryptography course on Khan last year. We've also checked out some geometry, etc. there related to other things we were studying as a way of rounding out what we were already doing.

We do art history as part of our HS co-op, and I sometimes pull up the artist we studied at co-op so they can get additional info. It works well as a supplement while I'm doing something like prepping lunch for them, although there is some mature content discussed from time to time. Frequently it is a different work than what was covered, which is great for us as it adds some additional info and depth.

ahisma
11-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I didn't know that they had material available for younger kids now. Very cool.

I'm going to try it out for DS1, we've been looking for a new way to supplement math at home.

noodle
11-16-2013, 06:35 PM
DS used it one summer to skip the next year's math class. This was a complicated situation, involving changing schools and differences in curricula, the solution for which was suggested by his teacher. DS chose KA to help him make sure he didn't have any gaps in his understanding. It was great for him.

Now he uses it once in a while to clarify something from the day's lesson. Especially when there's a sub.
He googles khan academy plus the particular skill/topic rather than trying to find what he wants within the site.

I love watching the videos.

brittone2
11-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Another resource that you may be interested in is this one. The poster is a HS parent who posts on the The Well Trained Mind forums, but they are nicely done IMO.
http://www.educationunboxed.com/