PDA

View Full Version : horrific sore spot in my throat

lmh2402
11-16-2013, 08:59 PM
i've been under the weather for weeks. i was feeling a bit better last week and then DD came down with a bad cold earlier this week, and now i'm feeling worse again.

as of last night i started to have an overall sore throat with a very specific spot of extreme pain on or around my left tonsil. and that pain is spreading up into my ear canal area

any ideas for home remedies to try and zap this? it hurts really badly and and it's almost like if i open my mouth and move my tongue around, i can feel like i'm stretching the area that hurts. kwim?

thanks for any ideas

flashy09
11-16-2013, 09:09 PM
I bet it's an ulcer, probably from post nasal drip. Super painful. I don't know about home remedies, but I was given Percocet and a medicated mouthwash to gargle with. Hope you feel better!

randomkid
11-16-2013, 09:16 PM
If you still have your tonsils, you could have an abscess. I had this in college and it was very painful. Is your tonsil really swollen? Can you see an ulcer? My guess is ulcer or abscess. If it's abscessed, you need to see a doctor. You can try gargling with warm water with salt and baking soda - much more soothing than just salt water. Use 1/4 tsp salt (kosher) and 1/4 tsp baking soda in 8 oz warm water. Do this several times a day. If you don't get any relief, I'd get to a doctor. And, Tylenol or Advil for the pain.

MamaMolly
11-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Could also be a tonsil stone. They are miserably painful when they get big. Can you see the spot? If it looks like a big white chunky thing it is probably a tonsil stone. Don't look on YouTube unless you want to be horrified.

lmh2402
11-16-2013, 09:22 PM
thanks, guys

no, no chunky white spot

left tonsil is large, but not huge. i don't see any spot/ulcer/blister, but god does it hurt. i hurts where i can't quite see - kind of like back behind the tonsil against the wall of the throat if that makes sense

i just gargled with warm water and salt. and i used my neti pot - could feel the water passing over the sore spot

oh, does this hurt!

stinkyfeet
11-16-2013, 09:26 PM
I would make an appointment with an ENT if it still persists by Monday.

thanks, guys

no, no chunky white spot

left tonsil is large, but not huge. i don't see any spot/ulcer/blister, but god does it hurt. i hurts where i can't quite see - kind of like back behind the tonsil against the wall of the throat if that makes sense

i just gargled with warm water and salt. and i used my neti pot - could feel the water passing over the sore spot

oh, does this hurt!

Momit
11-16-2013, 09:31 PM
They make a throat spray with a little topical anesthetic, it would minimize the discomfort for a little while until you can get to a doctor. I think it's Chloraseptic but there are probably other brands too.

KLD313
11-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Are you sure it's your tonsil that hurts? I've bitten salivary gland before, way back there and it really hurts and feels like you're describing. I never do anything for it, it goes away in a couple of days.

lmh2402
11-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Are you sure it's your tonsil that hurts? I've bitten salivary gland before, way back there and it really hurts and feels like you're describing. I never do anything for it, it goes away in a couple of days.

no, i'm not 100% sure it's my tonsil, but the pain is definitely in a place where i couldn't have bitten anything - too far back

elizamom
11-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Get some hydrogen peroxide on a qtip and swab the area with it. Let it sit for 60 seconds or so...without your tongue rubbing the hp off. Then gargle with warm water to get all the hp out.

randomkid
11-16-2013, 10:28 PM
thanks, guys

no, no chunky white spot

oh, does this hurt!

Since you have ear pain and it's on one side, it could be a peritonsillar abscess which occurs in the tissues around the tonsil. It may be just forming. Here is some info on it. I didn't have trouble breathing when I had mine, but swallowing was difficult mostly because of pain, not because I felt my throat was blocked. If you start developing any of the other symptoms, you should definitely see a doctor. http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/peritonsillar-abcess

pinkmomagain
11-16-2013, 10:35 PM
To help with some pain relief, I agree with a spray like chloraseptic which helps numb things a bit.

Ill get a sore spot in my throat on occasion but it seems to resolve on their within 24-48 hours. If yours persists, I'd definitely see a doctor as others have suggested.