PDA

View Full Version : s/o lasering: review of Bella Lite home laser

ShanaMama
11-17-2013, 03:05 AM
There was a thread a couple of days ago about pain tolerance wrt laser hair removal & I mentioned that I had just gotten the Bella Lite. Instead of finding & hijacking that thread I figured I'd start a new one to share my experience.

I've only used the Bella Lite once & I've been lasering every 6 weeks for the past 6 months or so. I would compare the two to the difference between getting your nails done in a salon vs. painting your own nails at home. Technically it's the same service but the experience is different & the outcome is not exactly the same.

I will say that my face looked like I lost 5 lbs after I lasered my chin, sideburns & lip with the Bella Lite. So it definitely worked. I don't think there was much of a learning curve. I did bikini first, then face, then underarm which I found to be easiest. It refused to hit a few places on my face- either the hair was too light or I wasn't holding it properly. When I look in the mirror I see missed areas which annoys me. I need to ask a good friend if it's really noticeable or I'm just seeing it because I'm looking for it.

The main difference that I found was that the Bella Lite is a largish handheld thing that seems to emit a flash of laser every time you push the button. So it's frying whatever area you hold it over, it's not targeting particular hairs. Although I don't watch while the woman lasers me, it always feels like the laser actually zaps the hairs only. It feels more targeted. Also, her machine is constantly blasting ice cold air which counteracts the heat of the laser. The Bella Lite does not do that. Next time I'd like to point a fan at myself while I laser.

As far as technique is concerned, wear sunglasses. In the beginning I looked away during the shoot but I found it easier once I decided to just close my eyes. So I positioned it, placed my finger on the button, closed my eyes & hit it. Then I opened my eyes before moving the applicator.

I can't tell yet if the Bella Lite is as effective as the professional laser machine. It was a little unnerving at first but I got my groove pretty quickly. The price just can't be beat, & for that reason alone I'll continue for a few more sessions before I form my complete opinion. (I was paying about $300/ session for face, underarm & bikini. The Bella Lite cost me $200.)
I'd also like to see how the Bella Lite does on areas that were never lasered before. I fried my toes for starters. I'll probably add legs next time.
Hope this was helpful!

essnce629
11-17-2013, 04:57 AM
I so wish something like this was available for dark skin! Guess I'll be hairy forever!

stinkyfeet
11-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Great review! I was always curious about the home lasers.

baymom
11-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the review!! I was thinking about ordering it, but just hadn't pulled the trigger yet. I don't know much about home lasers at all....do you have to buy replacement filters or bulbs or anything like that? Are they easy to find (at Costco, as well?)?

mommylamb
11-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for reviewing! Definitely come back after you've had the chance to use it a few times to report on the results.

Like I said in my other thread, I'm about to start a 6 treatment series for bikini. The place I go to (where I did my lip) is pretty inexpensive, so all 6 treatments for my bikini are $259, which is why I haven't bothered with the bella lite at this point. But I might get it at some point.

indigo99
11-17-2013, 11:28 PM
My DH would love a home laser. He'll never go somewhere to have it done, but he talks about lasering the top of his back/neck all the time when I shave it for him. I'm also curious about the bulb replacement and effectiveness comparison.