PDA

View Full Version : Do you read chapter book series in order? (Cam Jansen, Magic Treehouse, etc)

magnoliaparadise
11-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to get my DD (almost 6) hooked to something other than the Rainbow Fairy series (not saying anything against those fairies, butttt I have now read 23 books to my DD and there are about 95 more and she is going strong and I"m fairy satiated at this point...).

I read the recent thread about other good book suggestions. We just read the first Cam Jansen and my DD really liked it.

Do you read certain series in order (Magic Treehouse, Cam Jansen)?

I ask because I notice that the first few books in both series are topics that would not necessarily interest my kid, and I want to get her interested in the series so I thought of skipping to the more compelling books for her (eg Cam Jansen and Chocolate Fudge Mystery #14...). But... if there is even a bit of character development throughout the series or the out-of-order books would be out of context, I will start at the beginning...

TIA.

egoldber
11-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Cam Jamsen books can be read in any order.

The MTH books have a story arc that lasts for a few books and then another one begins. So there is some value in reading them in order.

That being said, younger DD reads the MTH books in whatever order strikes her fancy. Older DD was far more compulsive about the order.

And may I say you are a far better woman than I. No way would I read those books to my kids! I tell my kids "these are books to read to yourself". Maybe the first book in a series to get them started.

georgiegirl
11-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Dd has always read the books in random order.

My DD really enjoys Judy Moody. I'm not a fan of rainbow magic fairies and I think DD has grown out of them. I've read part of one and that's more than enough.

Momit
11-17-2013, 10:14 AM
We read Magic Treehouse out of order. I got a bunch of them used, and we check them out from the library, and there is really no rhyme or reason to it. They do sometimes refer back to previous missions, or sometimes there will be kind of a mini-series of four books (Jack and Annie have to find 4 XYZs for Merlin or whatever). But it's not a big deal to read them out of order.

Another huge hit around here is Geronimo Stilton. Funny stories, short chapters.

MelissaTC
11-17-2013, 02:00 PM
DS will only read books in order. It's apparently a pet peeve of his.

anamika
11-17-2013, 10:55 PM
And may I say you are a far better woman than I. No way would I read those books to my kids! I tell my kids "these are books to read to yourself".

This! I never read a single one to my DD - I think my eyes would have started bleeding if I had to read 23!!!
My DD never read any of those books in order.

ChristinaLucia
11-17-2013, 11:03 PM
And may I say you are a far better woman than I. No way would I read those books to my kids! I tell my kids "these are books to read to yourself". Maybe the first book in a series to get them started.

This is exactly what I said to my DD about those books. She can read them on her own and I'm reading her some classics.

We don't read everything in order.