PDA

View Full Version : Outwitted by a 3 year old

marymoo86
11-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm outwitted by a 3 year old. She will do any and everything to stall bedtimes and has become an overtired monster. Forget naps she won't do those either so can't take them away hoping for a better bedtime. Tonight she continues to take off diaper so we were forced to tape it as she isn't nighttime trained. She can climb out of the crib but really hasn't forced it. Should we convert? No amount of staying with her while she lies down or checks or anything is working. We have a solid bedtime routine so that isn't the issue. It has been a steady decline over the past couple of months with bedtime.

Should we convert her crib? Any suggestions? Including wine recommendations? How is my 7 week old a better sleeper?

westwoodmom04
11-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Moving to a bed will just make it worse. Once she finds out she can get out whenever she wants, she will. My dd was never a good napper, and dropped naps all together by the age of 3. We just instituted quiet time (quietly play with toys in room independently or look at books, etc. . .) instead. She was not allowed to leave her room during that time. We had a new baby then, so I sympathize. However, if she is truly done with naps, I'd go with quiet time and an early bed time and see how she does.

We also had a diaper remover, but at a slightly younger age. Just duct taped the diaper tabs, and it was no longer an issue.

BabyBearsMom
11-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Given that you have a new baby, I'd guess she is doing this in an effort to force you to focus your attention on her instead of the new baby. I found when DD2 was born, that DD1 needed an extra special bedtime with mommy while DH took DD2 far away so Dd1 could feel like my priority for a little bit. I don't think taking her out of her crib will help. It could make things worse. If the diaper is a problem, I would go with footed sleeper pajamas so the diaper is not accessible.

mm123
11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
DD2 also loved to take her pj's and diaper off at night. We didn't use duct tape, but we did put her footed pj's on backwards (zipper done up in the back). The feet would be a bit awkward, but she couldn't get them off!!

marymoo86
11-17-2013, 09:16 PM
We had her in a Grobag backwards but she can take that off too. Sigh. We have tried to do special time but I do think it is in part a reaction to the baby.

crl
11-17-2013, 10:48 PM
We had her in a Grobag backwards but she can take that off too. Sigh. We have tried to do special time but I do think it is in part a reaction to the baby.

Safety pin the grobag closed so she can't get it off. Good luck!
Catherine

kellij
11-18-2013, 01:16 AM
We did hanna andersson pjs backward. They have footless zippers, so easy to turn around. Also, I would try upping the bed time by a lot so she doesn't get so over-tired and miss her sleep window.

maestramommy
11-18-2013, 11:03 AM
:hug: We used footed jammies, and put a safety pin below the zipper.

theriviera
11-18-2013, 12:18 PM
What time are you putting her to bed? I agree with the PP, try a much earlier bedtime given that she's not napping. I would also try the pjs bakward and the safety pin on the grobag.

Is there a way to get special one on one time with DD1 during the day, apart from bedtime?

marymoo86
11-18-2013, 05:00 PM
What time are you putting her to bed? I agree with the PP, try a much earlier bedtime given that she's not napping. I would also try the pjs bakward and the safety pin on the grobag.

Is there a way to get special one on one time with DD1 during the day, apart from bedtime?

Bedtime is 730 but it is generally 830 or later before she will fallout and give up her antics. She naps at daycare but has Ben fighting them at home. Unfortunately no other time to get in 1-1 time except after work. We moved up her bedtime to 630 but still took over an hour to get her to sleep. She doesn't complain about fear of the dark but does like the door cracked. Ordered her a twilight turtle hoping this will help. She just won't settle down even when I sit with her after lights out. She just starts up after I leave. Wondering if calms forte or melatonin might be in order?

BabbyO
11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Stachio did this.exact.same thing...though he was out of his crib already. For a while, going through the relaxing pose of shavasana/corpse pose http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/482 helped, while I verbally walked him through the relaxation. I think the soothing voice helped him settle down and quiet his mind. Usually I can get through it in 5-10 min (depending on how it is working - I may stick to it longer just to make sure he's asleep). Sometimes it just quiets him so he can soothe himself and fall asleep.

Now he still asks for it nightly, but it is hit or miss whether or not it will work.

marymoo86
11-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Stachio did this.exact.same thing...though he was out of his crib already. For a while, going through the relaxing pose of shavasana/corpse pose http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/482 helped, while I verbally walked him through the relaxation. I think the soothing voice helped him settle down and quiet his mind. Usually I can get through it in 5-10 min (depending on how it is working - I may stick to it longer just to make sure he's asleep). Sometimes it just quiets him so he can soothe himself and fall asleep.

Now he still asks for it nightly, but it is hit or miss whether or not it will work.

I'm willing to try anything. No taking off diaper or pjs tonight but she is still not asleep! No crying or noise just moving around the crib. She has 1 stuffy and a blanket.

Tonight dinner @ 6pm, shower at 630pm, stories, and cuddle time (just me and her) along with a potty trip and after some resistance in crib @ 715. It was one thing or another for about 45mins and then just playing in the crib for another 30 and now lying down quietly for another 30min but still not asleep. I have no idea how to help her.