PDA

View Full Version : Please talk to me about Apple TV....

SASM
11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
I was able to pick one up at Target, in electronics clearance, for $49 the other day. I know absolutely nothing about it. We have Netflix but do not have cable. We have iPods, iPhones, and iPads. :)

Do you love it? If so, WHAT do you love about it?

Is it "meh"? Why?

Thank you!!!

GvilleGirl
11-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Love ours! (Much more than our Roku). We are an apple family though. I have all the kids movies loaded onto our computer so I never have to put in a DVD unless I get one from the library. I use my phone as a remote. Like how netflix is set up more than the roku. We have it with different users and like that I can search by character for the kids. Also like that if I find something on my phone that I want to share I can just throw it up on the tv.

crayonblue
11-18-2013, 12:12 AM
I have no idea if I'm supposed to love it or not but DH loves it. He digitalized all of our DVDs so now we watch them through Apple TV (however that works).

OKKiddo
11-18-2013, 12:38 AM
We've had ours for years and love it as well. And like GvilleGirl said the Netflix app on it is much better. Now we always make sure to buy dvd's with the digital copy so we don't have to manually upload it to itunes every time.

larig
11-18-2013, 12:52 AM
love it! Since you have all the iOS devices, you are able to "airplay" from the device to the Apple TV. Say you have a movie on one of the devices, you're kid's in the middle of watching it. Then kid 2 comes in and decides she wants to watch. You just "airplay" the movie to the appleTV and the movie is pushed to the appleTV and the kids can see it on the big screen. We have all of our movies in an iTunes library on a computer--it's always running--and our appleTV then can see that library and play anything in it. Any movies that you purchased on iTunes are available on the appletv too (whether you have the movie in an open itunes library on a computer or not, it can play them from the cloud).

ETA: once you get past the initial set up you can use the "remote" app on your iOS devices to control the appleTV. It's much better for searching stuff on netflix with the keyboard...

twowhat?
11-18-2013, 12:59 AM
The girls watch virtually everything through Apple TV and they can navigate the menu on their own depending on what they want to do. They especially love going to YouTube (we're careful that they only go to "History" to view stuff we have pre-screened) to pick out music videos, Just Dance videos, etc. Everything else is basically loaded onto DH's computer.

keh602
11-18-2013, 01:17 AM
We love ours. So much so that we have 3! We watch movies on it, stream music, and show off pictures all the time. We also love the Netflix app. Apple TV is one of DH's favorite gifts to give because it has so many uses.

SASM
11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Thank you soooo much for the responses!!! DH hooked it up tonight and tried playing with it. We shall see... I didn't realize it was previously opened (looked nicely sealed) and the previous owner's info was still in there!! I almost emailed him to remind him to restore to factory settings before returning these items but DH cleared everything before I could. Scary!!!

hillview
11-20-2013, 08:49 AM
not to hijack but does amazon prime work with it?