PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Bitty Baby if already have Corolle doll?

HipMama
11-18-2013, 10:29 AM
DD is obsessed with baby dolls. She's 3. Plays width them daily. Sleeps with one at night. This one is her favorite:http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Classiques-Suce-Pouce-Stripes/dp/B004LV5WXE/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1384784772&sr=1-5&keywords=Corolle
We got the American Girl catalog in the mail and she wants a Bitty Baby. To me, it looks very similar to the baby she already has. She has no interest in the Bitty Twins, she likes the "baby" look. Wondering if it is worth it to put on her Christmas list or maybe wait until she likes ones with hair?

egoldber
11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
My younger DD is 7 and STILL prefers Bitty Baby to Bitty Twins. She much prefers the baby look and baby play as opposed to "older" doll play. I would get her the Bitty Baby.

elephantmeg
11-18-2013, 11:14 AM
The bitty twins are a bit of a bust here. DD graduated from "emily" the corolle doll (which hasn't gotten any play in over a year IIRC) to "Amy" (the bitty baby) who despite having an 18 inch JLY doll and one in my closet for x-mas.. is still MUCH beloved at almost 6. Amy sleeps with her, plays with DS, goes places. It really brings out the "little mommy" in her. And at some point size wise the corolle doll just becomes small. I'd get the bitty!

HipMama
11-20-2013, 09:58 AM
I added it to her list, thanks ladies.

She also wants the Bitty Baby Changing table. Worth the $120? Seems a little steep. Maybe there will be a Black Friday cyber Monday sale. I do like that you can store stuff in it though

acmom
11-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I added it to her list, thanks ladies.

She also wants the Bitty Baby Changing table. Worth the $120? Seems a little steep. Maybe there will be a Black Friday cyber Monday sale. I do like that you can store stuff in it though

We have both Corolle Calins (2 - one is a girl, one is a boy) and the Bitty Baby as well as the twins. All get used often as my DD is a doll lover too at 5.5 and has been since she was 1ish. We also have the changing table and crib, both grandparent gifts. The changing table is mostly used to hold stuff...she rarely actually pretends to change the baby on it. And the crib is mostly used to put babies in when they are not being played with so not really an active part of the play either. The accessories and gear that get the most use here are the diaper bag, feeding sets, carseat, dr kit, and stroller (we have a mish mash of brands). Hope that helps!

egoldber
11-20-2013, 11:49 AM
And the crib is mostly used to put babies in when they are not being played with so not really an active part of the play either. The accessories and gear that get the most use here are the diaper bag, feeding sets, carseat, dr kit, and stroller (we have a mish mash of brands).

I would agree with this 100%. The stuff that DD uses most are the "Graco" stroller, blankets, diaper bag, feeding supplies, and clothes. We have a crib but she really only uses it to store her dolls in.

kit
11-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I find the baby accessories/gear that get used most are the ones that DD sees us using often, because most of her doll play is just imitating us. That means the only use for the crib/doll bed is the dolls go in there during naps and at bedtime for the night. I'm guessing if you use a changing table often, then perhaps it will get alot of use, but definitely wouldn't at my house. Agree with the items listed above, plus high chair is a big one here, as those dolls are having meals all the time, but usually cake (maybe wishful thinking on the part of DD?).

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 12:48 PM
TBH if American Girl hadn't upped the price of Bitty Baby $20 (from $60 to $80) I was seriously thinking about getting one for DD2 for Christmas, but I am not paying $80 for a baby doll when she does play with her Corolle doll (similar to the one you posted) a lot.

I got DD1 a Bitty Twin doll for her 5th birthday and it gets a bit of play, but when she was 5 her Big Sister/Little Sister doll set she got from a friend (that is from Target) for her 5th birthday got way more play than the Bitty Twin. The Bitty Twin gets a bit more play now from DD2 when she wants to play with DD1 when DD1 is playing with her AG Historical doll.

vonfirmath
11-20-2013, 04:51 PM
I find the baby accessories/gear that get used most are the ones that DD sees us using often, because most of her doll play is just imitating us. That means the only use for the crib/doll bed is the dolls go in there during naps and at bedtime for the night. I'm guessing if you use a changing table often, then perhaps it will get alot of use, but definitely wouldn't at my house. Agree with the items listed above, plus high chair is a big one here, as those dolls are having meals all the time, but usually cake (maybe wishful thinking on the part of DD?).

Our changing table gets used as bunk beds and storage, NOT for changing diapers

(And we almost always use our changing table to change DD's diapers at home)

kit
11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Our changing table gets used as bunk beds and storage, NOT for changing diapers

(And we almost always use our changing table to change DD's diapers at home)

Heh, now that I think about it, alot of doll diaper changing happens on kid chairs, usually with the doll's head hanging off one end. Now if only I could easily change diapers on a dining chair, ha!