PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Magna Tiles or these...

Blakes Mommy
11-18-2013, 12:56 PM
I know I should probably just get the Magna Tiles 100 Piece set... but while I was searching I came across these. They are award winning and have great reviews. I normally don't like copy cat products as they are usually not as good as the original, but, I liked that these came with a couple "extras" like a car and some rectangles and open small squares as well as the bulk of the set being about the same configuration as the Magna Tiles. I figure I would get a few different pieces with out having to also order the smaller deluxe set of Magna Tiles. What do you guys think? Any experience or opinions? The price is good. I also saw them somewhere else on a Google search for a little less. I have read so may posts here about the Magna Tiles that is seems like the obvious option, but, this got me thinking...

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Playmags-Colors-Magnetic-Building/dp/B00D30ENY8

I also could just get the Magna tiles 100 piece and then add the Magna Tiles deluxe set
http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/magna_tiles/magna_tiles_clear_colors_48_piece_dx_set.cfm?sourc e=google_pla&kwid=MAG006&gclid=CPb3hpHl7roCFW3NOgodxVsAKQ

or get the Magna Tiles 100 piece and this magformers vehicle set
http://www.qvc.com/Magformers-CruisersExtreme-44pc-Magnetic-Building-Set-w-2-Wheels.product.T31736.html?sc=T31736-Zone&cm_scid=zone&cm_sp=MERCHZONE-_-Featured:+Top+Rated-_-1

I know the second 2 options will cost quite a bit more and I am not sure we need all that. So I guess I am leaning toward the Magna Tiles 100 Piece clear or the Playmag option. I am not sure if the deal that was posted last week is still good

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?468413-100-Clear-Magna-Tiles-for-90-shipped&highlight=magnatiles

Blakes Mommy
11-18-2013, 01:23 PM
I just also found this great blog comparing all the different options, brands, and prices....

http://myconsumerboard.hubpages.com/hub/magnetic-tiles-for-kids

Now I am so confused!!! Help!!!

ahisma
11-18-2013, 01:55 PM
We only have the magnatiles, so I don't have experience with the other brands.

I do know that the basic magnatile shapes have never seemed limiting to us. I have zero desire to add on new shapes. Part of what I love about magnatiles is that I can just stack them up on a shelf. More shapes = harder clean up. My kids build super elaborate contraptions with the basic set, I almost feel like the specialty pieces are more limiting.

sewarsh
11-18-2013, 02:03 PM
we only have magna tiles, but i might get that train/car set to go along with them. they seem pretty great and really how hard could it be to duplicate a magna tile? IMO, they are definitely overpriced for what it is. did you see this review….

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best toy ever! (according to my 3 year old, at least!) November 17, 2013
By I <3 Baby Toys
LOVE LOVE LOVE. This is my 3 year old daughter's favorite toy. It is 100% compatible with Magna Tiles (which are very similar -- we can't tell the difference -- but much more expensive) and MetroMags (which again, are completely the same, but might be a little cheaper?). The train element is awesome. The four train cars were much bigger than I had thought -- large enough for two square tiles -- and add a whole new dimension. I recommend getting as large a set as you can afford. We probably have about 150 tiles (and I can never tell which brand is which) - and my 3 year old would still love more! I would avoid the Magna Tiles just b/c they are more pricey but I haven't noticed any vast extra quality or magnetic power for their price. These are awesome! I also think this is a truly gender neutral toy. My daughter loves building skyscrapers, farms, hospitals for her little dolls, schools, etc. - and putting her little animals and dolls in them -- and now has started to use the magnetic blocks to make a table and four chairs for a tea party for her Strawberry Shortcake girls. We also love using them in conjunctions with Squigz (suction cup toys) and on the fridge or on our bathtub (which they stick to). Maybe the best part is that cleanup isn't too bad - sometimes it's fun bc they all stick together -- and once you have them all stuck in piles, they don't take up any room at all.
Comment |

ellas_mom
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I am in the same boat with you (=confused).
We have some magformers that DD & DS still enjoy playing with. I was thinking to get the kids more magformers this xmas but after reading everyone's love of magnatiles earlier here on the forum, I'm debating whether to get the magnatiles instead. The only thing is I just don't want to start "collecting" new things as we tend to do that when the kids get into something. I think the deal is still available --someone said the code is good until 11/27 (??). Sorry my post is not so helpful :(.

YouAreTheFocus
11-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Hmm, very interesting! I didn't know there were other compatible brands. I found this review as well (not mine):

To set things clear.....I have both the magnatiles and the Playmags at home. I recently added on the playmags to my original magnatile collection. they now are in one big box...It is Impossible to tell the difference when building anything. The Playmags are just as strong as the magnatiles so definitely worth the money you can save. My kids make about 6 feet tall towers and it holds pretty well. The Playmags also have adorable cars and gate pieces that magnatiles does not have and its a favorite for my kids.

Also, I see the 100 pc Playmags Set on Overstock for $79.5 and you can get 10% off which brings it to $71.5
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Playmags-100-piece-Magnetic-Blocks/8146399/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=Ug8efwAAAHeo0Mkm:20131118182352:s

Think I'll be picking one up at this price!!

Blakes Mommy
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Hmm, very interesting! I didn't know there were other compatible brands. I found this review as well (not mine):

To set things clear.....I have both the magnatiles and the Playmags at home. I recently added on the playmags to my original magnatile collection. they now are in one big box...It is Impossible to tell the difference when building anything. The Playmags are just as strong as the magnatiles so definitely worth the money you can save. My kids make about 6 feet tall towers and it holds pretty well. The Playmags also have adorable cars and gate pieces that magnatiles does not have and its a favorite for my kids.

http://myconsumerboard.hubpages.com/hub/magnetic-tiles-for-kidsAlso, I see the 100 pc Playmags Set on Overstock for $79.5 and you can get 10% off which brings it to $71.5
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Playmags-100-piece-Magnetic-Blocks/8146399/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=Ug8efwAAAHeo0Mkm:20131118182352:s

Think I'll be picking one up at this price!!

Thanks for the overstock suggestion!!! I did a search, but, kept coming up with other brands/sets. I will wait for some more feedback, if nothing negative, I may just go for it. The only difference I see between the Magna Tiles and the Playmags is the colors are a bit more primary/brighter and the Magna tiles are that they appear a bit more feminine/pretty. I prefer the Magna tiles colors, but, having boys I don't think they care!

Another question....Where did you find the 10% off???

Blakes Mommy
11-18-2013, 03:02 PM
we only have magna tiles, but i might get that train/car set to go along with them. they seem pretty great and really how hard could it be to duplicate a magna tile? IMO, they are definitely overpriced for what it is. did you see this review….

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best toy ever! (according to my 3 year old, at least!) November 17, 2013
By I <3 Baby Toys

LOVE LOVE LOVE. This is my 3 year old daughter's favorite toy. It is 100% compatible with Magna Tiles (which are very similar -- we can't tell the difference -- but much more expensive) and MetroMags (which again, are completely the same, but might be a little cheaper?). The train element is awesome. The four train cars were much bigger than I had thought -- large enough for two square tiles -- and add a whole new dimension. I recommend getting as large a set as you can afford. We probably have about 150 tiles (and I can never tell which brand is which) - and my 3 year old would still love more! I would avoid the Magna Tiles just b/c they are more pricey but I haven't noticed any vast extra quality or magnetic power for their price. These are awesome! I also think this is a truly gender neutral toy. My daughter loves building skyscrapers, farms, hospitals for her little dolls, schools, etc. - and putting her little animals and dolls in them -- and now has started to use the magnetic blocks to make a table and four chairs for a tea party for her Strawberry Shortcake girls. We also love using them in conjunctions with Squigz (suction cup toys) and on the fridge or on our bathtub (which they stick to). Maybe the best part is that cleanup isn't too bad - sometimes it's fun bc they all stick together -- and once you have them all stuck in piles, they don't take up any room at all.
Comment |

I agree the train set looks cute and my vehicle (trains/cars) loving boys would like it.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-18-2013, 03:19 PM
wow this is so interesting. I've held off on getting magnatiles mostly because they seemed so damn pricey, and also I wasn't sure if my DCs would end up liking them. but after seeing this (lower price plus comes with train cars, etc) i may go for the playmags as a joint Christmas gift!! seems like the price is much better and the quality appears to be the same as from reviews. especially if they have more primary colors (i have a boy and girl). also, what really intrigues me is the car/train...OMG, DS would flip!! i may get the overstock 100pc one and then get the 20pcs with cars set from Amazon. that woudl still be cheaper than one 100pc magnatile set!!

and i too am wondering how you get the 10% off on overstock?

Snow mom
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
If someone buys the generic magnatiles check back in and tell us how they really are. The reviews on amazon scream fake to me because they are all five stars across the board and only one of the reviewers has reviewed any additional products. Also the fact that the product title is "award winning". What award? Lastly, as you read through the description toward the end it starts to sound like it was written by a bored teenager. So I'd be interested in a review from someone we "know" who also has magnatiles.

ETA: the bored teenager part turns out to be the info from the National Parenting Center (missing some punctuation). "Magnets are inserted inside the edges and that's about all you need to know. The magnets are strong enough to construct pretty solid structures, These pieces got a real workout but never broke or shattered"
The NPC seal is something that manufacturers self nominate for. They pay $295/product to have their product "independently tested" and if they get the seal then NPC publicizes their product in some ways. No info is readily available on how many products they review and what percentage get the seal.

YouAreTheFocus
11-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Another question....Where did you find the 10% off???

and i too am wondering how you get the 10% off on overstock?

Second link on retailmenot :) As it says you must click through the link provided. Worked for me!

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/overstock.com

inmypjs
11-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for posting about this. I have never heard of playmags but agree the look just like magnatiles. We have 2 of the 100 piece magnatile sets that get played with all the time. I am thinking about getting the smaller set of the playmags (with the train and the fence type blocks). I wish I could find something on about the manufacturer of these. If I do order, I'll post and let people know.

inmypjs
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Not to complicate things even more, but there is another brand on Amazon called Magnetic Stick n Stack.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_toys-and-games?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Magnetic%20Stick%20N%20Stack&node=165793011

crunchy
11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Not to complicate things even more, but there is another brand on Amazon called Magnetic Stick n Stack.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_toys-and-games?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Magnetic%20Stick%20N%20Stack&node=165793011

Looking at the Stick n Stack, showed *another* brand called Picasso Tiles. Oy.

http://www.amazon.com/Picasso-Magnet-Building-Magnetic-Blocks/dp/B00APVXSM6/

jvorhis
11-18-2013, 05:45 PM
We have the QVC version and we love them!

georgiegirl
11-18-2013, 05:47 PM

These reviews look really fake

♥ms.pacman♥
11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
We have the QVC version and we love them!
ooh, what's the QVC version?? i searched the site and could only find magformers.

hellokitty
11-18-2013, 07:31 PM
I am in the same boat with you (=confused).
We have some magformers that DD & DS still enjoy playing with. I was thinking to get the kids more magformers this xmas but after reading everyone's love of magnatiles earlier here on the forum, I'm debating whether to get the magnatiles instead. The only thing is I just don't want to start "collecting" new things as we tend to do that when the kids get into something. I think the deal is still available --someone said the code is good until 11/27 (??). Sorry my post is not so helpful :(.

How old are your kids? My brother has both the magnatiles and magformers. His son is 2 and likes the magnatiles, b/c the magnets aren't as strong, but my older boys (8 and 9 yrs old), much preferred the magformers. So, for the past two months, I've been ordering sets of magformers that have been on sale/clearance at QVC and amazon, and will give those as a gift to all 3 boys (my youngest is 4). I think that if you have older kids, the magformers seem to have more appeal.

citymama
11-18-2013, 08:03 PM
How old are your kids? My brother has both the magnatiles and magformers. His son is 2 and likes the magnatiles, b/c the magnets aren't as strong, but my older boys (8 and 9 yrs old), much preferred the magformers. So, for the past two months, I've been ordering sets of magformers that have been on sale/clearance at QVC and amazon, and will give those as a gift to all 3 boys (my youngest is 4). I think that if you have older kids, the magformers seem to have more appeal.

My kids both prefer Magformers. I think you can be a bit more creative with the different shapes and accessories, and the magnets are stronger.

ellas_mom
11-18-2013, 08:49 PM

My kids both prefer Magformers. I think you can be a bit more creative with the different shapes and accessories, and the magnets are stronger.

So are magna tiles more for toddlers then? It sounds like I should stick to magformers then. :) Thanks ladies for the input! DS is 6 and DD is a couple of yrs older but both love toys that they can build things with. They're avid fans of lego and we have some magformers but for some reason I always find these magformers harder to locate. A few months ago, we saw several children playing with the magna tiles at a Lakeshore store, and both of my kids said they think the tiles are "cool". :)

georgiegirl
11-18-2013, 09:02 PM
My kids are 7.5 and 4 and live Magnatiles. Both love Legos too.

Blakes Mommy
11-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the input....I am still on the fence. I was thinking go with the Playmags given the price (especially the Overstock deal) and reviews. Or just play it safe with the Magna Tiles. As far as the other copy cat brands I either saw not great reviews like the magnets coming out of the squares(Picasso) or lack of variety of colors stick and stack looks like they are missing purple and yellow. But, now I am thinking maybe Magformers since people have posted they are better as children get older etc... I think I am now more confused than before! I wish they had a place with all of them so I could "test" them out with the kids!!! I guess I was originally leaning toward Playmags since they seemed like the Magnatiles and with the open squares and a car piece a little bit Magformer. I was really hoping someone on here had them and could give an opinion. I am torn because I don't want to buy the Magna tiles and wish I got the Magformers or vise versa.

hellokitty
11-18-2013, 10:02 PM
So are magna tiles more for toddlers then? It sounds like I should stick to magformers then. :) Thanks ladies for the input! DS is 6 and DD is a couple of yrs older but both love toys that they can build things with. They're avid fans of lego and we have some magformers but for some reason I always find these magformers harder to locate. A few months ago, we saw several children playing with the magna tiles at a Lakeshore store, and both of my kids said they think the tiles are "cool". :)

With your childrens' ages, I would go with magformers. The magnets are so much stronger on the magformers, IMO, you can build cooler stuff with it compared to the magnatiles. If I would have bought these when my kids were little, I probably would have just gotten the magnatiles and stuck with those, but since we are getting these when my kids are older, I definitely feel that the magformers are the way to go. Plus, I like playing with the magformers more than the magnatiles too. :p

ellas_mom
11-19-2013, 12:24 AM
With your childrens' ages, I would go with magformers. The magnets are so much stronger on the magformers, IMO, you can build cooler stuff with it compared to the magnatiles. If I would have bought these when my kids were little, I probably would have just gotten the magnatiles and stuck with those, but since we are getting these when my kids are older, I definitely feel that the magformers are the way to go. Plus, I like playing with the magformers more than the magnatiles too. :p

Thank you! That helps a lot. I didn't realize that the magnets in magnatiles are weaker.

Thanks for all the input....I am still on the fence. I was thinking go with the Playmags given the price (especially the Overstock deal) and reviews. Or just play it safe with the Magna Tiles. As far as the other copy cat brands I either saw not great reviews like the magnets coming out of the squares(Picasso) or lack of variety of colors stick and stack looks like they are missing purple and yellow. But, now I am thinking maybe Magformers since people have posted they are better as children get older etc... I think I am now more confused than before! I wish they had a place with all of them so I could "test" them out with the kids!!! I guess I was originally leaning toward Playmags since they seemed like the Magnatiles and with the open squares and a car piece a little bit Magformer. I was really hoping someone on here had them and could give an opinion. I am torn because I don't want to buy the Magna tiles and wish I got the Magformers or vise versa.

I can't comment on the Playmags or Magna Tiles since we don't own any, but I can say that my DS got the Magformers when he was about 3.5 or 4 and he still loves playing with them. At one point, magformers were really hard to find so we then got into lego the last couple of years. Recently out of the blue my DS started asking if I can get him more magformers again. I was going to do that until the recent thread about magnatiles. I guess that's why we are here now. :D

crl
11-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Aren't the magna formers the ones that a child swallowed the magnets and they pinched the intestines together and killed the child? I remember being super paranoid about toys with magnets when that happened.

Catherine

citymama
11-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Aren't the magna formers the ones that a child swallowed the magnets and they pinched the intestines together and killed the child? I remember being super paranoid about toys with magnets when that happened.

Catherine

I can't imagine how the magnets could get out of Magformers (or magnatiles). But I'd like to know the answer to crl's question if anyone knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ellas_mom
11-19-2013, 02:36 AM

Catherine

I think there was an article about Buckyball magnets being recalled. There were others too but I don't remember the names.

NJ_Mom2011
11-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Catherine

I think that you are referring to the 2012 recall of an adult desk "toy" manufactured by Reiss Innovations. Strictly speaking, they were NOT supposed to be used by kids, but children were still getting harmed as some kids were playing with their parents' stuff.

Here's the Consumer Protection Safety Commission's recall notice: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/High-Powered-Magnet-Sets-Recalled-by-Reiss-Innovations-Due-to-Ingestion-Hazard-Sold-Exclusively-on-Amazoncom/ Here's a CPSC safety bulletin about the dangers of high powered magnets: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Magnets/ Before everyone gets alarmed about these kids' toys, note that the very dangerous magnets featured in the bulletin are ones that are shaped like marbles, and thus easily ingested by children.

Blakes Mommy
11-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Catherine

It was Magnetix that had the problems...I believe they were sticks and balls and the balls were magnets. I remember this, and a few years ago I alerted DS1's preschool teacher about them and to remove them from the classroom! Especially since around that time my DS1 had swallowed a penny and I was terrified he may swallow the ball magnets. Very dangerous!!! I am not sure they still sell them, but, even much older kids had issues with these and putting them in their mouth and accidentally swallowing.

Here is the recall:
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2007/Magnetix-Magnetic-Building-Set-Recall-Expanded-Serious-Injuries-Continue-to-be-Reported-to-CPSC/

I just read they were for 6 years plus...I am not sure why our integrated public preschool would even allow those in a classroom with 3 and 4 year olds...Especially since some of the kids were special needs. Crazy!!!

Blakes Mommy
11-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Update on my purchasing....Still trying to decide but now after watching the video on QVC I am leaning towards the Magformers....I love the demonstrations. Maybe I could start with a small set and see how it goes then I won't be gambling too much. I can always add more. They are more pricey though overall than the Magna tiles or Playmags, especially if we start adding more sets....Decisions, Decisions!!!!

vonfirmath
11-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Catherine

No.
I let my then-10 month old play with Magnaformers with no worry. I think you'd need heat (Like to melt the plastic) to get the magnets out of them!

crl
11-20-2013, 03:23 AM
It was Magnetix that had the problems...I believe they were sticks and balls and the balls were magnets. I remember this, and a few years ago I alerted DS1's preschool teacher about them and to remove them from the classroom! Especially since around that time my DS1 had swallowed a penny and I was terrified he may swallow the ball magnets. Very dangerous!!! I am not sure they still sell them, but, even much older kids had issues with these and putting them in their mouth and accidentally swallowing.

Here is the recall:
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2007/Magnetix-Magnetic-Building-Set-Recall-Expanded-Serious-Injuries-Continue-to-be-Reported-to-CPSC/

I just read they were for 6 years plus...I am not sure why our integrated public preschool would even allow those in a classroom with 3 and 4 year olds...Especially since some of the kids were special needs. Crazy!!!

Thanks. I couldn't remember the name of the toy.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
11-25-2013, 12:45 PM
ok, after the $90 for 100pc magnatiles deal was sold out on creativekidstuff, i decided to bite the bullet and get a few Playmags knockoff sets.

I was going to order the playmags from Overstock for $70, but they only have the main 100pc set. That comes with ONE "car", and that ain't gonna work for us, with 2 kiddos and a train-obsessed DS. :)

I wanted to buy just the 50pc Playmags set that has 4 cars, 16 "fence" pieces and squares and then buy a real Magnatiles set later when they went on sale. But that was $59.99 on amazon and that seemed like a ripoff. I found it for $44 on toys4usa.com. Shipping cost was INSANE, but free over $89. There they also had 100pc set for $79. So i got both of those to get the free shipping..150pc for $124.99. If these work out they will be a good deal. if the kids really like them, i will buy a real Magnatiles set later.

i will post review as soon as i get them. i don't have Magnatiles so nothing to compare to but at least i can say if they are decent quality.

RunnerDuck
12-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Ms Pacman - did you get them? Do you like them?

I'd really like to augment our magnatiles with more cars and playmags looks to be the way to do it. But nervous over the reviews...

wellyes
12-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I haven't used the one the OP linked, but I did use this knock-off because our library has it: http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stick-Stack-CLASSIC-magnetic/dp/B00DAIZGTE/ref=pd_sim_t_5 There was a big note in the box saying "if you give this product 5 stars on Amazon, we'll send you a free book!" (something like that). My guess is that they send it free to libraries and daycares for the Amazon publicity. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't buy the reviews and I don't think "Award Winning!" meaning anything.

ETA- the marketing tactic probably wouldn't have bugged me so much if it wasn't a clear copycat of a successfully independently made toy.

KrisM
12-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Ms Pacman - did you get them? Do you like them?

I'd really like to augment our magnatiles with more cars and playmags looks to be the way to do it. But nervous over the reviews...

She reviewed them a bit here: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?471388-OMG-Magnatiles-are-like-crack!

RunnerDuck
12-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks! looking at these pages via google not through the forum directly so missing some updates I guess.

There is a stick n stack review where the guy says they have xmag on each piece (which he dislikes) and a video review for picasso ones that clearly show xmag on each piece leading me to believe that those two knock offs are the same company. Would be interesting to know how many of the knockoffs are really the same thing.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-26-2013, 03:35 PM
She reviewed them a bit here: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?471388-OMG-Magnatiles-are-like-crack!

thanks for posting the link!

Yes, i ended up getting Playmags in 100pc, 50pc accessory and 20pc car+fence set, as well as 100 pc Magna-Tiles. THe playmags seem equivalent and the kids have been playing with them interchangeably. I was afraid due to the fake Amazon reviews but so far they seem pretty much the same. Only difference is color is slightly different, there's no metal screw in each corner, and maybe the plastic is not as clear. the magnet placement and strength seems the same. It's 1pm here and the kids have been still playing with them all day except for a break for lunch. They have thrown them around, my kids are NOT gentle with stuff and nothing has cracked or broken.

westwoodmom04
12-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I bought this set on Zulily a few weeks ago, http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Colors-Magnetic-Building-Set-10-piece/dp/B00GW81U4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388090814&sr=8-1&keywords=metro+mags+truck. We have two magnatile sets but they don't come in these shapes. My son built the truck w/o any issues; and they seem to work just fine with regular magnatiles. These aren't Play Mags though they are Metro Mags. Also, the full sets don't seem to be significantly cheaper than magnatiles.

westwoodmom04
12-26-2013, 04:55 PM

Catherine

You are thinking of buckey balls. I still have a set up on the top shelf of my closet as dd asked for them a few years ago, and I bought them and then found out about the magnet swallowing issue. The company has since gone bankrupt.

The magnets are plenty strong on magnatiles for building intricate structures. My kids still use them regularly at ages 6 and 8.