PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else randomly started receiving Us Weekly magazine?

Momit
11-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Strange question, I know. I've gotten 2 issues so far. We just moved into a new house but they are definitely addressed to me and not the previous owner. Maybe it's some kind of trial or free subscription? I'd like to know how to cancel before they start charging me but until then I will enjoy the celebrity gossip!

elbenn
11-18-2013, 01:24 PM
My mom gets it for free. She gets many magazines that she doesn't subscribe to. She just gives them away if she doesn't want them.

Melaine
11-18-2013, 01:30 PM
that's better than ski magazine....I have been getting that inexplicably for a couple years.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2013, 01:30 PM
No but Maxim showed up completely unwanted and unannounced. Dh needs to call and get that worked out since it came in his name. Mad Magazine came too but I think the first issue indicated someone sent it as a gift. However, I can't find out who sent it and it is age inappropriate for ds1, the name on the label. I don't know what is going on and I am thinking scam of some sort. I hope this isn't the tip of some iceberg.

TwinFoxes
11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
I get Redbook for free, as does DDs' babysitter. :shrug:

BDKmom
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
My DH recently started getting Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone. So bizarre to me.

kboyle
11-18-2013, 03:24 PM
I paid for a under $10 subscription for UsWeekly last yr that was supposed to expire in July. I never re-upped but now it shows I'll get it till 10/2014. It wasn't attached to a cc or anything, so I'm getting it free for another yr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bisous
11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
I received us weekly for free for 3 years. Renewal notices would come in the mail which I would completely ignore. It has finally stopped coming. I guess it is coming to you now, lol. What made me laugh is that I don't have cable or watch TV at all but I was really well versed on the kardashians and "the real housewives " of wherever. Enjoy it while you have it. I'd never pay for a subscription but I liked all the fashion pictures. :)

BabyBearsMom
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
that's better than ski magazine....I have been getting that inexplicably for a couple years.

My DH gets Black Entrepeneur magazine for some reason...and he is not black or an entrepeneur. I would prefer to get US Weekly!

AngB
11-18-2013, 04:19 PM
We got it for free for 2 years. (And then we started getting OK! magazine too.)

I called and found out it really was 100% free. I made them stop sending me OK! because it was just too much mail to keep up with (they were both like every other week or something. I googled it and learned that magazines do it so they can pad their numbers when they are trying to get advertisers, so they can say they have 10 million subscribers or something like that.

I don't really miss it now that we aren't getting it but it was nice to always have for reading material at the dr office and whatever.

bisous
11-18-2013, 04:26 PM
My DH gets Black Entrepeneur magazine for some reason...and he is not black or an entrepeneur. I would prefer to get US Weekly!

My brother gets that one too! And no, he's not black or an entrepreneur either, lol.

lele
11-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I get Oprah and have no idea where that one came from. It just keeps renewing and renewing!

Momit
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM

That is hilarious!

swissair81
11-18-2013, 04:52 PM
People and Rolling Stone here. I even got that infamous one with the Boston bomber on it. My next door neighbor chewed me out for buying it. Now it goes straight in recycling when it comes, it's not appropriate for the kids anyway.

Giantbear
11-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I now get Mens Health, was a subscriber years ago, but did not pay for it.

Ceepa
11-18-2013, 05:42 PM

These made me laugh.

mackmama
11-18-2013, 06:41 PM
I wish! I love US weekly. Total fluff and relaxing.

Momit
11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
I wish! I love US weekly. Total fluff and relaxing.

I'll enjoy it while I can. I always flip through them at the hairdresser or whatever but it's not something I would pay for. Definitely better than some of the freebies PPs are getting! :)

FSUMama
11-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Sometimes magazines are a promotion with other companies you purchased from. Like I received a Rolling Stone subscription after purchasing concert tickets from LiveNation. I didn't even see the promotion as I rushed to purchase the tickets before they sold out. I think good housekeeping does something similar with 1-800 flowers.

So maybe Us weekly was tied with a recent purchase?

nrp
11-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Sometimes magazines are a promotion with other companies you purchased from. Like I received a Rolling Stone subscription after purchasing concert tickets from LiveNation. I didn't even see the promotion as I rushed to purchase the tickets before they sold out. I think good housekeeping does something similar with 1-800 flowers.

So maybe Us weekly was tied with a recent purchase?

OP - did you by chance order from dermstore recently? They were running an US Weekly promotion a month or so ago when I ordered and my US Weekly started a couple of weeks ago, too. I was psyched!

crl
11-18-2013, 11:55 PM
I have been getting Rachel Ray's magazine and Midwest Living. Have no idea why.

Catherine

Sweetsunshine
11-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I get Sports Illustrated and Readers Digest. No idea why!

Meatball Mommie
11-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, consider yourself lucky since I get Truckin' magazine! No idea why, as we aren't into trucks (there's always these crazy low riders on the cover). I also get Inc. and another business type magazine for free. I just pass them along to my BIL who likes them, but Truckin' goes straight to the trash.

eta: I got 2 or 3 free issues of a men's bodybuilding magazine too which was pretty amusing ;)

queenmama
11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Over the years I've had Us Weekly, EW, and People. I thought my mom signed me up because of the version of my name on the label, but no.

It's strange that it has happened more than once with each of these magazines.

Lara

KLD313
11-19-2013, 09:49 AM
My mother started randomly getting Redbook in my name. No idea why and I get it at my own house, too.