PDA

View Full Version : Is your spouse into a leisure activity you just can't get into?

TwinFoxes
11-18-2013, 02:09 PM
The post about going to a midnight showing of "The Hobbit" made me curious. For me, the one thing I just can't get into is NASCAR. When we started dating, DH wasn't into it at all, and used to poke fun at his dad for watching it. Well, 15 years later, he's way into it. It's amazing how many people like NASCAR, even when I lived in California, I'd see the numbers of people's favorite drivers on their cars or whatever. If you don't know NASCAR, you might not see/recognize them. DH can't wait to take DDs to a race. I said "have fun!" (Season ended yesterday, WOO HOO!)

He's also a hockey fan, which I'm also not really into, but I do enjoy going to the games (I like sports in general).

So, what does your spouse S/O enjoy that you just can't learn to like?

StantonHyde
11-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Oh dear God--sci fi, fantasy, stereo equipment, music snobbery, driving race cars (not watching, actually driving), there is a lot!! But then I do stuff he doesn't want to to do either. Fortunately, neither one of us spends every weekend doing our hobbies so its not really an issue. And we do like to do things together too.

mommylamb
11-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Silent movies, and old movies in general. I can watch some, but DH is fanatical. I know it's bad because I haven't even made an effort, and a lot of this is considered classic, but I just don't get the appeal of Buster Keaton.

Then again, he thinks I'm a total dork for reading YA or fantasy stuff like the Song of Ice and Fire books. And he cannot abide by LOTR.

lizzywednesday
11-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Football.

I tried, I understand the basics of the game, and can watch it without peppering him with questions, but, when push comes to shove, I don't get the appeal of switching on the TV at top volume to watch it for 8 hours Saturdays (college) and Sundays. I love going to games, though, because there's so much else going on. (We haven't been since I was pregnant with DD.)

NASCAR.

When we first started dating, I would pass out while he watched ... and then I'd realize I'd slept 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon in the name of spending time together. I know the drivers and actually have a favorite or two, but I'm not really into it.

Baseball on TV.

I hate watching baseball on TV. It's boring and most of the national announcers annoy the living carp out of me. But, bring me to a stadium, and I'm lining up to catch a pop foul. Major league games are great, but we're also close to two minor league teams and THOSE are the best games anywhere. DD is still too little to fully appreciate them, but she had a blast the last time we went. (And I "caught" a foul with the back of my thigh.)

And, it pains me to say it because my grandfather was such a fan, but, the NY Knicks. I only watch MSG broadcasts to see Clyde's suits.

In all fairness, he can't get into some of the things that I'm into, silent films being among them.

cvanbrunt
11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Sci Fi. We've been married 18 years and I've never accompanied him to any of the four thousand Star Trek, Lord of the Rings-type movies. I'd rather give birth again than sit through two hours of rips in space-time continuum. He watches those post-apocalyptic tv shows like Falling Skies and Revolution. If he starts talking about them I start talking to him about shoes. I did learn to scuba dive for him and I'm terrified of the ocean so I'm kind of off the hook for everything else.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Not much. But sci-fi would be one...Star Trek, etc. I can't get into it. Luckily though DS is just like DH and as he's getting older he is becoming his Star Trek-watching buddy :)

specialp
11-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Running/endurance events is the only thing I can think of that I have zero interest in. I will go to the triathlons and small runs when the weather is nice, but that is about it. Baseball is the only other thing I can think of, but I like going to games, just not watching it on TV. We both love football and I could watch it 24/7, but baseball on tv is boring to me. And I don't like watching TV shows so there are some shows I do not watch with him, but I honestly have no idea what they are.

georgiegirl
11-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Soccer

DH is from Europe so of course he likes soccer. It has to be the most boring game...men running around for 90 minute and not scoring. Fortunately this has gotten better (since he'd rather watch football), but we had a huge blow up over it. When DD was 3 months old, we were driving across several states. She was colicky and I couldn't just put her down. I wanted to take a shower, so I asked DH to hold her. He responded, "sorry I can't, there's a World Cup game on and I need to focus on it."

YouAreTheFocus
11-18-2013, 02:43 PM
comics/graphic novels, sports on tv, fantasy sports, video games, "guy" comedy.

hellokitty
11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes, tons of them. High end stereo equipment, souping up his car, he has a ginormous LP collection, golf (tried it and hated it with a passion, it is such a waste of time), shooting, manga, anime, football and basketball and rally racing too.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
11-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Yes, tons of them. High end stereo equipment, souping up his car, he has a ginormous LP collection, golf (tried it and hated it with a passion, it is such a waste of time), shooting, manga, anime, football and basketball and rally racing too.

OMG, I totally forgot golf.

The ILs are very into golf, but they both play. Very well. Country club memberships, magazines, preferred brands of ball, etc., the whole nine yards.

DH hasn't played in ages ... but he HAS TO watch on TV. I do.not.understand.why.

The closest I get to understanding competitive golf is watching Happy Gilmore.

petesgirl
11-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Aside from midnight movies.... Video games. I hate them. All of them. Absolute waste of time IMO. DH was so excited when I finally let him get a wii and I tried to play with him and act like it was fun but that only lasted for about a day. Not my thing at all.

BabyBearsMom
11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
My DH is a hard core gamer. He has been as long as I have known him. Since we met in our teens, this was something I assumed he would grow out of. But here he is, in his 30s planning to take Friday off because his XBox one is being delivered that he preordered, and he wants to spend the day playing Dead Rising 3.

BabbyO
11-18-2013, 03:34 PM
-RPG's (Roll Playing Games) - think Dungeons and Dragons...though that is one he doesn't like
-video games (except for puzzle games)
-old movies, esp westerns
-Comic books (though I like many of the characters and often the stories...I don't like the format
-writing

But I know I have my things that he can't get into, either.
-Football - he doesn't understand how I can get so into I yell at the TV
-Running 1/2 marathons
-Yoga - though they do some yoga in his Tai Chi classes, and it is awesome when he comes home and asks me about poses

It's totally ok...it is what makes us individuals.

fedoragirl
11-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Neither one of our hobbies interferes in our enjoyment of each other since we can barely devote any time to them with two toddlers. :D
His hobbies: Football and soccer. I asked if he couldn't just have picked one. Did he have to pick the two most boring sports on the planet? A couple of months after he moved to the US, he went back to Germany just for the World Cup. It didn't bother me then but it would bother me if he left to see games for 3 weeks while I juggled two kids on my own. He's already bought the kids jerseys for the World Cup next year. Sigh!

elektra
11-18-2013, 04:11 PM
DH likes video games, woodworking, and crafty things and I just never will be. Whenever we travel anywhere he always wants to check out whatever local crafts fair. He also likes "how it works" types of shows and I just am not. He and his brothers are into this particular fantasy book genre and I know I will never read any of those books.
He will never be into any kind of reality tv (I like Dancing with the Stars) though.
He actually does like shopping which is probably my only other "leisure activity".

TwinFoxes
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
NASCAR.

When we first started dating, I would pass out while he watched ... and then I'd realize I'd slept 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon in the name of spending time together. I know the drivers and actually have a favorite or two, but I'm not really into it.

Pre-kids I'd go shopping every Sunday. :) I am like you, I know the drivers, have "my" driver. But if it weren't for DH I'd never watch it (he actually thinks I will tune in if he goes to a race, uh, no). He's gotten so into it, he watches the truck series races!

Of course he doesn't understand why I talk to a forum full of mommies I never met... :)

okinawama
11-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Hunting and fishing. If he has a tag or a season he's interested in is open, he's gone from sun up to sun down. I have zero desire to even explore hunting, but fishing has grown to be a fun family event.

wendibird22
11-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Deer hunting. He's not fanatical but this is a new hobby of his....just started last fall. He inherited his grandpa's shotgun and his dad bow and gun hunts. We eat the meat, which I actually enjoy and it does save $$ on meat bills during the year. However, gun season opened this past weekend so DH was gone from 4:30am-7:00pm Saturday and again 5:00am-12noon Sunday. He got one tiny deer. That's all. Meanwhile I'm shlepping the kids to dance class, the grocery store, doing 6 loads of laundry, paying bills, cooking, cleaning dishes, bath, etc. He's sitting his butt in a tree stand for HOURS doing nothing but waiting for a deer to walk by. Such a waste of time. Plus I refuse to acknowledge that my food used to have a face.

MelissaTC
11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Lots, lol.

Running - he loves running and does half marathons.

NASCAR - he goes to races. Moving south was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Watching golf - I don't mind playing, well, maybe. But it's like watching paint dry to watch it on tv. He loves to play and sometimes he will take M with him.

Video games - ugh. Enough said.

Coin collecting - yawn.

Disney, specifically visiting the parks - the man would wake up at the crack of dawn and spend his entire day there, crowds and all, until they kick him out. He loves those parks and wants to spend his retired days hanging there. Um. No.

We do share some interests like wine, hockey (we have a season ticket package and go as a family), football, travel (minus WDW), exercise, food.

bisous
11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
We pretty much like the same things, probably because we're both geeks. But DH likes more TV shows than I do. I'm really, really not into a lot of the silly sitcoms that he likes to watch. So he watches them on his laptop with his headphones. :)

The only thing *I* like that he's not a fan of, is Ikea! I love going there and he'd rather have a root canal.

mackmama
11-18-2013, 06:46 PM
The discovery channel and literary autobiographies.

DH wants to watch Discovery whereas I want to watch stupid sitcoms or family dramas. DH likes to "learn" when reading and thinks he can't learn from fiction. I loooove fiction and not even literary fiction- more beachy romance or crime fiction. I read to relax and escape. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Globetrotter
11-18-2013, 06:50 PM
watching tennis matches, day and night (literally)

It makes me nuts because there is ALWAYS some tournament or another going on!

infocrazy
11-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Deer hunting. He's not fanatical but this is a new hobby of his....just started last fall. He inherited his grandpa's shotgun and his dad bow and gun hunts. We eat the meat, which I actually enjoy and it does save $$ on meat bills during the year. However, gun season opened this past weekend so DH was gone from 4:30am-7:00pm Saturday and again 5:00am-12noon Sunday. He got one tiny deer. That's all. Meanwhile I'm shlepping the kids to dance class, the grocery store, doing 6 loads of laundry, paying bills, cooking, cleaning dishes, bath, etc. He's sitting his butt in a tree stand for HOURS doing nothing but waiting for a deer to walk by. Such a waste of time. Plus I refuse to acknowledge that my food used to have a face.

DH hunts...hate it...

Except he IS fanatic about it and is gone most weekends...since October 1 to January 1. He does stay home if we have something that I cannot do by myself--basically double booked...but meanwhile I take 4 kids to double hockey, triple soccer (over now!!!), Cub Scouts, etc...

Be glad he got one deer in just one weekend. DH has gotten 2 so far, but he was logged MANY MANY hours. He is picky and only takes very large does or a large buck...SO ANNOYING. Although we do eat it, he definitely spends more than we save on "accessories".

That said, he is a super involved dad, does more of the housework than me and deserves a break--and he LOVES it so I can't complain too much...but I look forward to the end of the season!

npace19147
11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Sailing. I get seasick and find it boring even when I'm trying not to toss my cookies. DH thinks it will become a fun family activity, ignoring the fact that the girls don't really care and my aforementioned seasickness. I don't mind that he has an activity that is separate from us, it actually bothers me more that he claims to be doing it for the family. Go and enjoy yourself, just leave me out of it! I don't expect him to be excited by fabric stores and craft shows.

arivecchi
11-18-2013, 09:39 PM
DH is obsessed with horror movies and I cannot stand them. I used to detest football but now love it and we watch games together with the boys on Sundays (or whenever the Bears are playing :)). So glad he is not into soccer or baseball. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch those sports on TV.

AnnieW625
11-18-2013, 09:43 PM
watching Ancient Aliens. I just can't get into it. Most of the other shows he likes I will watch except that and probably Family Guy (although I like Brian) I just don't get either and don't watch them.

I have never played a game of D&D.

I have gone shooting before at the range, but have zero want or need to go hunting. I also don't care for camping much, but tbh DH hasn't tent camped in 20 yrs. since his parents got an RV. My tent camping experience was going to Yosemite and sleeping in house keeping cabins with cots and near by running water, but it has been 20 yrs. since I did that too.

aa2mama
11-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Oh yes! DH hunts. I am a vegetarian. Opposite ends of the spectrum...

TwinFoxes
11-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Oh yes! DH hunts. I am a vegetarian. Opposite ends of the spectrum...

Wow! You two may have won. ;)

carolinacool
11-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, he likes golf and he likes to watch a lot of reality shows I can't get into - Moonshiners, Duck Dynasty, Mountain Men. Like seriously, ALL of them. :rotflmao: But that doesn't really bother me. The big one, and I guess it can be leisurely activity, is movies. We rarely want to see the same movie. Like, I can remember "Gladiator" being one of the very few movies we were both equally psyched about seeing. I asked him if he would go see "The Best Man Holiday" with me, and he looked at me like I had two heads.

smilequeen
11-18-2013, 11:06 PM
In our case, not too much.

He's obsessed with movies and will watch tons of B rated crap that I can't get into. Our movie tastes can be different and I don't watch many (unless you count kid stuff).

He's only reads business related books and I'm very into leisure reading.

He is really into food, and well...I like good food but I'm not always obsessing over where the next great meal will come from.

He's a go go go type and I'm a homebody.

He actually wasn't that into sports, besides basketball, and I was/am a HUGE sports fan. Now he's the one who wants season tickets for hockey and baseball :) But that's definitely a shared family interest.

sntm
11-18-2013, 11:35 PM
DF is a golf fanatic (you have to be to play in Seattle- he once came home pissed because he got kicked off a course when the rain froze on the greens). He watches obsessively on TV. I agreed to join a club only because the monthly membership is about what he spends on green fees and now I have a pool for the summer.

Also soccer. We are vacationing in England over the holidays and he is taking a train 3 hrs each way by himself to see Mann U. I watch soccer only because Sounders games are a hoot live and David Beckham is a Greek god.

Also he takes banjo lessons, while I grit my teeth when he practices.

I have plenty though. SCI fi (trekker here), old movies (out pets are named after characters from The Philadelphia Story and how to Marry a Millionaire), knitting, opera, ballet.

MontrealMum
11-18-2013, 11:37 PM
DH is in front of the tv right now watching something about trucks, or planes, or blowing things up....or doing all three...in the snow. I've watched a few episodes of Ice Road Truckers but I just can't take watching that type of show over and over. Sure, they're different shows, but somehow to me they all seem the same.

We've managed to share many of the other's interests over the years. DH took ballroom dancing lessons with me, for example, and I'll happily sit down to watch Top Gear from time to time (they're British, it helps :) ) but Ice planes, Ice trucks, and trucks nearly driving off the side of cliffs? That's just not something I am ever going to get into.

ArizonaGirl
11-18-2013, 11:49 PM
The list is fairly extensive...lol

Video/computer/role-playing games...so boring and a giant waste of time (I am sitting here watching MNF and he is on that d@mn computer)
Fantasy/sci-fi movies (Walking Dead, Revolution/the new Abnormal Human, all that stuff)

I actually like to play golf so we do that together, or did before the kids.

Bowling, also like watching paint dry and he wants me to bring the kids to watch him on league nights, uh no, no desire to spend 3 hours listening to my 4 year old say he is bored and trying to entertain my 14 month old, just no.

NASCAR, can't get into it either, although I do try

Then again he doesn't like Yoga and thinks my sewing has benefits but doesn't really get the appeal.

He also has no idea why I spend so much time lurking and posting on the BBB :hysterical:

We sound like we don't have much in common, but we do like to spend time together :D

speo
11-18-2013, 11:54 PM
We share most interests in common.

He used to play video games more and he only plays them a little now. I find them boring and I get motion sickness.

We mostly watch the same shows, except he likes some of the cartoon comedies like Family Guy and Archer. He also likes The Clone Wars. And as much as I love music, I do not share his passion for music videos. He could watch them for hours.

He likes horror movies and I am just too scared to watch them. He doesn't watch many nowadays.

We both enjoy watching golf. It is so captivating (surprisingly) and soothing. :rotflmao:

stinkyfeet
11-18-2013, 11:59 PM
He like racing cars, and I don't even like to drive.

He spends a lot of time watching you tube videos about various sports cars. I'm usually on BBB or researching something the BBB has compelled me to buy.

He occasionally watches football and MMA (I can tolerate watching these with him), but I absolutely refuse to sit with him when he watches poker tournaments on tv (so boring!!)

MMMommy
11-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Golf. He plays it and watches it on tv. For me, golf is a big zzzzzzzzzzz.

TxCat
11-19-2013, 12:07 AM
DH is a pretty good musician (piano and bass guitar), and I can't play any instruments.

Cycling and spinning - can there be anything more boring? He used to watch Tour de France on TV when we were first dating, but thankfully that's tapered off.

Reading critical theory and essays, like in The London Review of Books. He came home tonight raving about listening to a collection of Orwell's essays that he listened to in the car (book on tape - gift from his brother). My eyes glazed over as he described it. The only way I could be more bored by that would be if you made me listen to it while strapped to a spinning cycle (see above).

I have gotten into watching football and soccer because of him though. I don't love soccer but I can follow along during World Cup, etc., now.