PDA

View Full Version : s/o What parts of the house do you NOT decorate for the holidays?

fedoragirl
11-18-2013, 03:49 PM
I tend to follow the pattern my mom set when we were children. I just decorate the living, dining and entry areas. DH does the garden lights. I really want to decorate the bathrooms and kitchen and the kids' rooms but I really don't have that much nor do I have the time.
What about you? Do you go all out?

carolinacool
11-18-2013, 03:56 PM
No, I'm really simple too. I basically put up the tree, hang the stockings from the mantle in the living room and put some sort of small centerpiece on dining room table. I now have a small table in the entry, so I'm going to put a little wood Christmas tree I got at Target last year on that. On, and last year I hung some twine down our staircase rail and used clothes pins to hang our cards. I'll do that again. But I've never done anything anywhere else. But you've got me thinking - we have a table in the landing at the top of the stairs. I can put something there, too.

brittone2
11-18-2013, 03:57 PM
We do FR (tree, mantle, etc) a little in the DR, maybe a few things in the powder room. At some point I'd like to get a small, skinny tree for the DR. Previous owner had an outlet installed so she could put her collection of holiday village things up above the kitchen cabinets, so we use that and just put white lights above the cabinets We also do foyer/entry interior, front porch exterior (front porch usually has a vintage sled and lots of greenery/garland around the front door). We do wreaths on all of the windows and window candles.

The kids both want a small tree this year in their rooms. They like having lights up in their rooms, but we don't do that every yr.

eta: I get into it, but part of it is that both families tend to convene here. I like making it festive. I've always loved decorating for Christmas :)

maestramommy
11-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, we pretty much stick to the living room and front vestibule. The tree is in the living room, our stockings are tide to the bannister that face the vestibule, and whatever largish extras we have go between those rooms. Even the Playmobil nativity stays pretty much in the livingroom.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2013, 03:59 PM
It depends on the year. I have been scaling back the past few years- the more you get out, the more you have to put away!! A fake 4.5' tree in ds1's room- don't do that anymore. :) We have a holiday themed ceramic soap dispenser I sometimes put in the bathroom. Usually though just living room, dining room, and family room.

georgiegirl
11-18-2013, 04:00 PM
We only have a tree. We don't have a mantle (it's a stone fireplace). So everywhere other than the tree is NOT decorated. Yes, we are lame. DD would love it, so maybe I will buy decorations after the holidays and we can decorate next year.

specialp
11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
LR, DR, Kitchen, foyer & outside DO get decorated. Bathrooms, bedrooms do not.

lizzywednesday
11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
The bathrooms, kitchen, and entryway tend not to get decorated.

Although, I do admit to adding holiday towels to the powder room for our annual pre-Christmas get-together.

BabyBearsMom
11-18-2013, 04:08 PM
We live in a 3 level townhouse and we mostly just decorate the main level. The living room gets the majority of the decorations, but I put a table runner and christmas dish towels out in the kitchen, and hand towels in the powder room. DD1 does have a small tree in her room.

BDKmom
11-18-2013, 04:14 PM
We don't go too crazy. Christmas tree goes in the foyer, stockings and lighted garland on the mantle, holiday placemats and centerpiece on the DR table. We have two small lighted trees that go on the front porch and a wreath for the door. If we get around to it, we have plug-in candles that go in all the windows.

ellies mom
11-18-2013, 04:29 PM
It really depends on my energy level and attitude each year. When I was single, I decorated every room except the kitchen because it was a small duplex and there wasn't any kids to mess with my nativity scene collection.

Now, I tend to stick the main level of the house and I put out a more carefully edited selection of scenes. I have put miniature trees from target in the playroom in the past but they lost the playroom last year so I don't know if I will decorate my new sewing room instead.

Meatball Mommie
11-18-2013, 05:33 PM
WPrevious owner had an outlet installed so she could put her collection of holiday village things up above the kitchen cabinets, s:)

ooh - that's a good idea! I have about 30 houses and it honestly such a pain to put them out and take them down that I don't do it every year. I love them though. I think I might have to figure out a way to do this. I could even cover them up and leave them there permanently ;) My cabinets have a moulding so, I'd have to set the houses up on something so you could see them. If I just took the prop away, you wouldn't see the houses. Thanks for the idea!

Oh, and wrt the OP: Decorate the main living areas only. Nothing in any of the bedrooms. Powder room gets a holiday towel and some knicknacks.

mackmama
11-18-2013, 06:43 PM
We are simple. Just family and living rooms and basic at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)