PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Painted concrete and carpet tiles

kaitlyns.mom
11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
I mentioned in another post that we discovered mold in our sunroom/enclosed patio and had to tear everything out. We are thinking of doing painted concrete floors and then adding carpet tiles or indoor/outdoor rugs for comfort. This will be an art/craft/playroom and have a small socializing area too.

Does anyone have experience with painting concrete, or do you have it in your home? Pros and cons? We know it will be cold; luckily we're in Southern CA so it doesn't go below 38 and that's overnight. Is slipping a big issue?

And for carpet tiles, we love the look of Flor but our budget is crying right now. Anyone try the carpet tiles from Lowe's or Home Depot?

crayonblue
11-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I mentioned in another post that we discovered mold in our sunroom/enclosed patio and had to tear everything out. We are thinking of doing painted concrete floors and then adding carpet tiles or indoor/outdoor rugs for comfort. This will be an art/craft/playroom and have a small socializing area too.

Does anyone have experience with painting concrete, or do you have it in your home? Pros and cons? We know it will be cold; luckily we're in Southern CA so it doesn't go below 38 and that's overnight. Is slipping a big issue?

And for carpet tiles, we love the look of Flor but our budget is crying right now. Anyone try the carpet tiles from Lowe's or Home Depot?

No real experience but my neighbor has GORGEOUS painted concrete. I would totally go that direction. You could always tile over it if you really didn't like it!

BunnyBee
11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
We are researching basement flooring for the near-ish future, but no experience yet. Painted concrete has to be sealed somehow. You can wax it, which you have to redo periodically, or seal with a varnish-like finish. If you do that, you have to strip the finish to be able to tile over it.

We ordered Flor tiles during the October sale for a family room rug and wound up returning them. They're woven in loops like Berber, which the salesperson swore it was not. One had a little loop hanging off one edge, which pulled to undo a large section. With the unfinished edges, I can't imagine how these last with kids and/or pets.

Momit
11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Stained concrete is beautiful and not too slippery IME. We've had ceramic tile that was much worse.