PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and Christmas Trees

Pilotbaby
11-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Our daughter is 20 months and we are thinking about putting up an artificial tree this year. Are we crazy? My Hubby thinks we can teach her not to touch it- lol. Are there any gadgets or tricks to keep it out of her reach or any ideas? It will probably be in the corner of our living room so I don't think we can really gate it off. TIA

JBaxter
11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
I have always put up a tree mostly real. I never gated or kept my kids away from it. Unbreakable ornaments on the bottom Some times I would just keep a little basket and collect all the removed ornaments and put them back on when they went to bed. Christmas is about kids and I never "got" keeping kids away from the tree ( and I have 4) The novelty wears off after a few days. For me its crazier to try to gate off a room or put a tree up on a table away from the kiddos. Christmas is fun. Breakables on top kid safe on the bottom.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2013, 09:06 AM
We gated the tree when ds1 was a toddler but didn't when ds2 was. We always have real trees. Ds2 did just fine. You could always tie it to the wall (wall hook and twine). Leave really fragile ornaments off or just only high.

Pilotbaby
11-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks. I like the idea of putting safe ornaments on the bottom. Then she can take them on and off as she likes:) Do you do lights and just not on the bottom? I really just want to make sure she doesn't get ahold of anything glass that can hurt her or anything with small parts.

I have always put up a tree mostly real. I never gated or kept my kids away from it. Unbreakable ornaments on the bottom Some times I would just keep a little basket and collect all the removed ornaments and put them back on when they went to bed. Christmas is about kids and I never "got" keeping kids away from the tree ( and I have 4) The novelty wears off after a few days. For me its crazier to try to gate off a room or put a tree up on a table away from the kiddos. Christmas is fun. Breakables on top kid safe on the bottom.

queenmama
11-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Frickin' Tapatalk ate my reply!

I've been wondering about this as well. DD will be 20 months on Christmas Day. She is a go-getter who loves touching and tasting the world around her. ;)

My tree and ornaments are 50+ years old so I am not bringing them out. We don't have many "family" ornaments at all like I had growing up, so I'm thinking of getting some baby safe ornaments and dragging out the hand-me-down fake tree until I know she can keep her hands and mouth off of the mercury glass.

I also saw a sweet idea on Pinterest to make a flannel/felt tree and ornaments to hang on the wall, so I may do that for her.

Lara

123LuckyMom
11-19-2013, 09:33 AM
We do lights throughout the tree. They are not hot to the touch. The only danger would be if she broke a light and cut herself. I feel like she won't have enough unsupervised time to do that much damage, and our lights are LED now. I think they have plastic casings. We also do unbreakable ornaments at the bottom of our tree. We've always needed to do that for our pets. The hooks are the greatest danger. When my son was a toddler, we did gate the tree, but we don't plan to do that with our daughter. She's just as much of a danger seeker, but we're more relaxed ;).

fedoragirl
11-19-2013, 09:41 AM
We did a lot of felt and wooden ornaments and no lights at the bottom of the tree because we thought they'd pull them and the whole string would unravel. Also, do anchor your tree to something. We tied a string around the trunk and anchored it to a door (if you don't want to put nails in your walls). The possibility of a tree crashing down is not something I'd like to envision.
Our cats also play with the ornaments and ribbons so I rarely put my glass ornaments up now. I am ok with that.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Lights on the bottom.

Nyfeara
11-19-2013, 09:46 AM
We use the unbreakable ornaments and LED lights. We prefer using the LED lights because they don't have the glass bulbs and don't get hot like the traditional lights. We always anchor the tree to the wall because of both the kids and the dogs.

Pilotbaby
11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
We just bought felt to do this as well. I don't think it will stop her from wanting to take things off the big tree but I agree, it is a sweet idea and will be fun for her.
Frickin' Tapatalk ate my reply!

I've been wondering about this as well. DD will be 20 months on Christmas Day. She is a go-getter who loves touching and tasting the world around her. ;)

My tree and ornaments are 50+ years old so I am not bringing them out. We don't have many "family" ornaments at all like I had growing up, so I'm thinking of getting some baby safe ornaments and dragging out the hand-me-down fake tree until I know she can keep her hands and mouth off of the mercury glass.

I also saw a sweet idea on Pinterest to make a flannel/felt tree and ornaments to hang on the wall, so I may do that for her.

Lara

MamaMolly
11-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Make sure it is your DH that is in charge of teaching her to stay away from the tree. ;)

But to answer your question we have only put up non breakable ornaments. Dolly is a destructive force of nature, and I have better things to do with my time than referee the Christmas tree. I bought a TON of glittery floral stems a few years ago and let the girls have at it. Our tree always comes out amazing, glitter hides a lot of faults! They can enjoy rearranging the decorations and I can enjoy watching them do it. There is plenty of time later for the breakable a to come out.

Mopey
11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
I have actually been plotting this as well, and had basically thought about the ornaments as PP wrote. My only other thought for my little Mademoiselle Touche a Tous (Miss Touch Everything) is using the baby gate in a semi-circle around the tree if she just won't leave it alone. I totally agree with PP that it should be fun for the kids and I think they learn pretty quickly!

AngelaS
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM
We bought real trees when our girls were toddlers. Scotch pines are pokey and not nice to touch which worked great to keep the girls from touching the tree. :).

wendibird22
11-19-2013, 10:11 AM
We never had a problem with the tree and the kids. Now, the dog knocked it over once (we think trying to look out the window and he backed into it), but never the kids. We put kid friendly ornaments at their reach and let them touch, move, take off as much as they wish. Because of the dog issue, we did actually tie the tree to the wall for a few years. We put the tree between the window and so put 2 J hooks into each end of the sill and used heavy gauge green wire which we wrapped around the trunk about 3/4 up the tree and then tied to the hook. Worked great.

Another thing we did a few years ago is use 2 indoor/outdoor mini trees (the kind you'd place say on either side of your walk or front entrance) on either side of the fireplace. Each kid gets one to decorate as they wish. Last year Santa brought them fun lights (mickey mouse and hello kitty) to decorate their mini trees with. They like putting their favorite ornaments on those. They stand maybe 2ft.

JBaxter
11-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Yes lights on the whole tree. My oldest was 13 months and had been walking for a bit but I made a trip to walmart got some satin ball and other nonbreakable things. I probably still have some in the mix. None of my 4 ever bothered the lights.

crl
11-19-2013, 10:26 AM
People here thought I was nuts, but I actually put our tree up outside where it could be seen through the living room window the year dd was 18 months at Christmas. Made my life so much easier! Whatever makes things easier for you.

Catherine

mikala
11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I was worried when ds1 was that age but it was totally fine. We got a real tree and put kid friendly ornaments at the bottom and left off the really special fragile ornaments. I did not put many lights at the bottom due to lead exposure from the wires. We also anchored the top to the wall in a couple places just on case he tried to tip it. He mostly carried around the kid ornaments and continually rearranged.

BabyBearsMom
11-19-2013, 10:32 AM
We have always had a tree even when DD1 was mobile at that age. I keep soft ornaments within reach of the kids and put anything breakable at the top. I also usually tether the tree to the wall. But in our house, there are so many presents around the base of the tree, the kids can't even get close to it. Last year, I got DD1 a little fake tree for her room with little ornaments and she loved decorating it and undecorating it. I'm sure DD2 will demand the same this year.

AnnieW625
11-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Very similar thoughts here except I grew up with a family of 3 kids and we have 2 kids.

Pilotbaby
11-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas. This means I have to go ornament shopping for toddler friendly/ hook free ornaments:)

lizzywednesday
11-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I love putting up the tree. To me, it's just not Christmas without one.

We have a pre-lit artificial tree due to various reasons, not the least of which is a tendency to travel during the holidays.

Anyway, DD was 9 going on 10 months old at her first Christmas and what we did was the following:

(1) Bought this ornament stand & put "important to display" breakable ornaments on it ... on our mantel:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253654/

(2) Trimmed the tree with unbreakable ornaments, a mix of Hallmark lighted ones, Target soft ones, and Macy's resin ones. Since our tree is artificial, the more cr@p you put on it, the better it looks, so it's kind of a blessing.

(3) Let DD help hang the ornaments up and gently reminded her to leave the tree alone. Now that she's 3, we may start putting more of the breakable-but-replaceable ornaments out, but I'm not 100% on that yet. And, yes, if I put any of my breakables on the tree, they go on the topmost level.

DH's SIL got her DD1 a 4-foot tree of her own after the kid "redecorated" by smashing all the ornaments at kid-level the Christmas she was 2, so that's also an option.

BabbyO
11-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Pretty much this exactly. We always try to have some Ornaments that are "theirs" to touch on the very lowest branches, we point them out and they are generally totally thrilled with it, since any tugging that may occur occurs at the very bottom of the tree, we haven't seen any instances where the tree almost toppled on them either.

JBaxter
11-19-2013, 11:57 AM
I always used hooks but you can very easily by some thin red ribbon and make a loop to hang them with. I have a now 22 yr old who survived many many trees.
Thanks for all of the ideas. This means I have to go ornament shopping for toddler friendly/ hook free ornaments:)

HannaAddict
11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

I totally agree. We always have had a real tree with no issues. They touch it, but just put kid safe ornaments in the bottom. I wouldn't want it gated off. They rearrange the presents too but no biggie.

JdrKuhnert
11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
We've never child proofed our trees. It actually never even occurred to me. We have glass ornaments and lights all over the tree. We do keep our tree in the formal living room, but that's about it. The cats have broken more ornaments than my boys. When one of my boys was 2, he decided to give the tree a haircut.

AnnieW625
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
We use hooks as well unless an ornament was crafted with string.

jenstring95
11-19-2013, 04:37 PM

We have these hooks:

http://www.target.com/p/100ct-ornament-hooks/-/A-14778945#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=ornament+hooks

They are plastic and non-pointy, although they are thicker than the metal kind and won't go through the small hook holes on some ornaments (mainly Hallmark).

Melaine
11-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Subbing! I would never skip putting a tree up but I admit this year I am nervous.

AngB
11-19-2013, 05:40 PM
We have these hooks:

http://www.target.com/p/100ct-ornament-hooks/-/A-14778945#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=ornament+hooks

They are plastic and non-pointy, although they are thicker than the metal kind and won't go through the small hook holes on some ornaments (mainly Hallmark).

We have these as well.

Pear
11-19-2013, 08:16 PM
For DD's toddler christmas I aquired and made an entire Tree's worth of non-breakable ornaments. It was actually surprisingly easy and not that expensive. We have used them for subsequent years. DD is 4.5 this year. I'm hoping next year we can get out the other ornaments, but for this year I am going the no stress route again.

123LuckyMom
11-19-2013, 08:24 PM
We have this Krinner tree stand:

http://www.krinnerusa.com/index.php/genie-xxl

It's incredibly sturdy, and it locks with a padlock if you want, so it's incredibly safe. My DH could hang from our 9' tree, and it wouldn't come down. You won't need to secure your tree to the wall if you invest in a stand like this. It is an investment, though. The stand is pricey!

mom2binsd
11-19-2013, 08:28 PM
I never worried about our real 7 foot trees, my kiddos were good about not touching it and it was in our family room where they played.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kerridean
11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
From day one, we taught our daughters the word "no" in regards to the Xmas tree (and everything else). It works! We never did anything different with our trees other then avoid hanging glass ornaments near the bottom.

indigo99
11-19-2013, 10:49 PM
We gate ours with the metal superyard (http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Metal-Gate/dp/B000U5FOT2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384915643&sr=8-5&keywords=metal+baby+gate)(which I love). ALL breakable ornaments were kept in storage and only ones that I don't really care about go on the bottom of the tree.

The novelty never wore off for my boys. They'd try to reach through the gate and grab ornaments all the time. To them, it looks like a bunch of cool toys hanging on the tree. They'd take them off and carry them around all day if they could. If I didn't gate it then I would definitely anchor it. They could pull the whole thing over, and DS did grab strands of lights and try pulling them off a few times (we remove the gate for Christmas eve and day).

I think this is like a lot of parenting issues in that it's easy for someone to judge another ("I don't understand why anyone would ever gate off the tree" etc), but what works for one kid won't work for all kids. If you're lucky enough to have one or even four that would respect the word no and leave it alone then awesome, but it's not that easy with all kids. If a gate means that the tree can be in our living room, and I don't have to worry constantly about the kids hurting themselves then that's what I'm doing.

eta: The current $99 price for that superyard is good. It's usually a bit more new, and I paid $60 for a second one that was used. I have our elliptical gated off with it now.