PDA

View Full Version : Name poll - Update!

flashy09
11-19-2013, 03:06 PM
What's your favorite of these girl's names? DH doesn't like the names I love and I don't like the names he loves. So we have 1 or 2 names we both like, but don't love on our shortlist. This poll includes all the names ....it's just for fun, but a nice distraction from cleaning the laundry room while DD naps!

JBaxter
11-19-2013, 03:25 PM
None of those I particularly like. ( or I should say I would not have chosen any of those to use for a child of mine)

carolinacool
11-19-2013, 03:27 PM
I think Daisy is a sweet name, although NMS.

lizzywednesday
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I like Hazel; I know it's old-fashioned, and makes my parents' generation think of a TV show (don't ask) but I think it might be a good complement to your DD1's name, which, IIRC, is also a type of tree.

Mopey
11-19-2013, 03:43 PM
I voted for Cecily. And honestly Flashy, I went through the list saying those names with your DD's and that's why I chose Cecily. I like Hazel but IMHO the names sound too similar when said together. And somehow the idea of two nature names together didn't grab me. Hahahaha. And maybe this is just totally weird and OCD of me ;)

just my .02 :)

ETA: And you can call her Cece for short maybe (I've always thought that nickname was cute!)

TwinFoxes
11-19-2013, 03:45 PM
The only one I truly love is Penelope, I think it's pretty, it's musical sounding to me.

The only one I don't care for is Hazel...50s TV screeching maid ruined that for me. ETA: I don think I'm Lizzy's parents' generation, I watched a lot of old TV as a kid. :)

Jasmine seems very 80s, but I do like it.

All the other ones are just OK.

citymama
11-19-2013, 03:45 PM
I voted for Iris, but it was almost a tie with Cecily. I also love Penelope.

crl
11-19-2013, 04:36 PM
I voted for Cecily, which I do like, but I really love Cecilia. (Also Cordelia which is kind of close and was on our list.)

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
11-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I love the name Penelope. I wanted it for DD2 and to call her Penny but DH wasn't crazy about it (and I adore the name we ended up picking for her). As for the other names, I would not do Jasmine (Disney princesses), or Daisy (tragic Gatsby associations for me).

anonomom
11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
I voted for Daisy, which I love as a nickname but probably would look for a more formal "real" name. DH loves Penelope and tried to convince me to use it. The others are not really my style (nothing wrong with them, of course).

wellyes
11-19-2013, 04:53 PM
I love 4 syllable names. Penelope, Calliope, Henrietta, Persephone, Veronica.

YouAreTheFocus
11-19-2013, 04:55 PM
I like Hazel a lot, but don't care for any of the others.

Indianamom2
11-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I voted Cecily. But like Crl, I LOVE Cecelia. (Just throwing that in there because it sounds like you and your husband don't have a definite winner yet....maybe that will help!) In all honesty, Hazel is my 102 year old grandma's name....and therefore is all I can think of!

marymoo86
11-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Voted Penelope as it was on my short list as I loved the nn Poppy.

AnnieW625
11-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Another prefer Cecelia to Cecily, but Cecelia is a family name too.

I like Penelope, but not fond of Penny as a nick name and have never heard of Poppy as a nick name for Penelope.

Of the names listed I don't know if I would have chosen them for my girls (and didn't), but this is your child and not ours. We didn't have a name for DD2 until she was a few hours old and it was a name both DH and I liked but we kept looking for alternatives. You will know the name when you see your baby.

flashy09
11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Voted Penelope as it was on my short list as I loved the nn Poppy.

That's my favorite nickname and it's a popular stand alone name in the UK, but I worry out here it just reminds people of Grandfathers! I think we would either just stick with Penelope or go with Nella/Nell/Ella/Ellie nicknames.

essnce629
11-19-2013, 08:07 PM
I like Hazel best!

hellokitty
11-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I am the lonely one who will say that I have always liked the name, "Iris." It was my name in Latin class, goddess of the rainbow!

MamaMolly
11-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I think Iris would go well with DD1's name.

acmom
11-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I voted Cecily. But like Crl, I LOVE Cecelia.

:yeahthat: I really like Cecelia.

BDKmom
11-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Of those, I like Penelope the best. I think it's fun to say. Just sort of rolls off the tongue.

I also like Hazel, but I don't like how it sounds with your DD1's name. But I tend to overthink that kind of stuff.

ChristinaLucia
11-19-2013, 09:11 PM
1. Cecily
2. Penelope
3. Hazel
4. Iris
I like all those 4 in that order! :)

american_mama
11-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Well, you didn't ask for new ideas, but I just can't resist in a name poll. It seems like we haven't had one for a long time.

Penelope
Hazel
Jasmine
Cecily
Iris
Daisy

Hazel, Iris and Penelope are all old-fashioned but unusual names to me. They remind me of Violet, Hillary, Rose, Cora, Elsa, Helena, Nora, Stella, Priscilla. If any of those are close but no cigar, some variations are Viola, Helena, Rosa/Rosella/Rosemary, Coral, Eloise. I do know a Hazel whose sister is Lieslotte (Lottie), if that appeals.

I like flower names, but there are so many others beside Daisy. Dahlia is lovely. I recently heard of Zinnia, but there's also Marigold, Magnolia, Calla, Camellia.

Penelope reminds me of Persephone from Greek mythology. Maybe too much of a mouthful to say daily for a child, but a really fun name to say when talking about characters, for instance.

Jasmine seem a bit out-dated to me, very Disney. What about Jessamy? I once worked with someone named that.

Cecily seems like it might often be pronounced as Cecilia or Cecile, which are both similar names. Claudia also seems similar to me. Maybe Clementine? Cleo? There are apparently two girls in one grade named Cleo in our town, plus a teenager we used to hire to babysit.

I voted Hazel.

SASM
11-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Great names!

My picks:
1- Penelope
2- Hazel
3- Cecily (love CeCe as a nickname)

twowhat?
11-19-2013, 10:37 PM
I voted Cecily.

I know a girl named Cecilia who goes by "Ceci" (Seh-See) as her nickname, and I love that!

queenmama
11-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Penelope is ultra trendy, just FYI. Hazel is pretty hot, too, which is one reason I didn't use it myself (that, and I couldn't bear the idea of two kids with H names).

I voted Cecily even though I do prefer Cecilia or Celia. That one was also on our list but one of DH's friends had a Cecilia right before Agnes was born.

Iris is really lovely. And I adore Daisy, but more as a nn for Margaret.

I don't care much for Jasmine.

Lara

indigo99
11-19-2013, 11:12 PM
None of those I particularly like. ( or I should say I would not have chosen any of those to use for a child of mine)

I agree. I like Cecilia a lot but not Cecily. We had an elderly neighbor when I was little who was named Hazel. I chose that since I like it best out of the names listed, but it makes me think of that old lady. I think Daisy is cute for a young girl but not so much for a grown woman. Do you like Hattie? It seems to be in that same time period of names, and it would be on my short list for a girl.

Mopey
11-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Another (v. English) option for you is Clelia (Clay-Leah, swooped together).

For some reason I didn't say it earlier, but yes, prefer Cecelia. And I think I'd even consider it for a girl down the road.....

(Penelope is a great name too. And I know a great "Pen." She's always been Pen, and she's a total cool girl just fyi ;))

KpbS
11-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Penelope
Cecilia
Daisy

I also love Margo (Margeaux really) and Felicity. They have the same feel to me as the names on your lists.

GL!

smilequeen
11-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Cecily and Iris are both names I would use. Love them. Like others, I LOVE Cecilia. That was our girl name that we never used.

flashy09
11-20-2013, 08:16 AM
I also love Margo (Margeaux really) and Felicity. They have the same feel to me as the names on your lists.

GL!

I like Felicity a lot, but can't get DH on board. I also love Eliza, Chloe and Lucy, but can't get DH to love any of those. He is a huge fan of Penelope, which is a major family name for me, so I feel like it's an obvious choice although I never imagined naming a child that.

I think Penelope is the only name that we both like enough to use at the moment, I just wish I *loved* it.

Philly Mom
11-20-2013, 08:30 AM
I like Felicity a lot, but can't get DH on board. I also love Eliza, Chloe and Lucy, but can't get DH to love any of those. He is a huge fan of Penelope, which is a major family name for me, so I feel like it's an obvious choice although I never imagined naming a child that.

I think Penelope is the only name that we both like enough to use at the moment, I just wish I *loved* it.

Of all the names listed, Penelope is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

flashy09
11-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Well, you didn't ask for new ideas, but I just can't resist in a name poll. It seems like we haven't had one for a long time.

Penelope
Hazel
Jasmine
Cecily
Iris
Daisy

Hazel, Iris and Penelope are all old-fashioned but unusual names to me. They remind me of Violet, Hillary, Rose, Cora, Elsa, Helena, Nora, Stella, Priscilla. If any of those are close but no cigar, some variations are Viola, Helena, Rosa/Rosella/Rosemary, Coral, Eloise. I do know a Hazel whose sister is Lieslotte (Lottie), if that appeals.

I like flower names, but there are so many others beside Daisy. Dahlia is lovely. I recently heard of Zinnia, but there's also Marigold, Magnolia, Calla, Camellia.

Penelope reminds me of Persephone from Greek mythology. Maybe too much of a mouthful to say daily for a child, but a really fun name to say when talking about characters, for instance.

Jasmine seem a bit out-dated to me, very Disney. What about Jessamy? I once worked with someone named that.

Cecily seems like it might often be pronounced as Cecilia or Cecile, which are both similar names. Claudia also seems similar to me. Maybe Clementine? Cleo? There are apparently two girls in one grade named Cleo in our town, plus a teenager we used to hire to babysit.

I voted Hazel.

Thanks for all those! Violet is actually DD's middle name. I do like Clementine, although the song plays in my mind still and in England it's pronounced ClemenTEEN, which I don't like so much. I also like Imogen, which is very popular over there, but I think might be too unknown or hard to pronounce out here.

Cecily is probably not to going to happen as DH really doesn't like it even though it's on his side. I do worry too many "s" sounds as well.

123LuckyMom
11-20-2013, 09:27 AM

I can't vote in your poll from Tapatalk, but I LOVE Penelope, and I'd do Nellie for a nickname.

KLD313
11-20-2013, 09:48 AM
I voted Cecily but inactuakky really like Iris, too. If you're taking suggestions, I wanted to name DD Eden but got vetoed.

mom3boys
11-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Of the names listed, I like Penelope the best.

I like your list that your DH was not on board with better though (like all those names--Eliza, Chloe, Lucy).

I do also like Imogen and I don't think it's all that hard to pronounce

Also ever since I read about Prince Harry's girlfriend Cressida (Cressy for short), I've thought that name was pretty cool. Unique but not in a bad way.

Tenasparkl
11-21-2013, 03:37 PM

We know a Penelope that's called Pippa and I think that's such a cute and unexpected nickname.

flashy09
02-01-2014, 03:57 PM
We went with Penelope Wren. Born 1/30/14! Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

kdeunc
02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Love it! I really love Wren. It was on my short list but not DH's! Congratulations!

Corie
02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
We went with Penelope Wren. Born 1/30/14! Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I love the name that you chose for your daughter!!! Congratulations!! :)

AnnieW625
02-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Congrats on your new little one!

speo
02-01-2014, 04:22 PM
I like it. And I love Wren. :)

StantonHyde
02-01-2014, 08:02 PM
I love both names. My cousin named her daughter Wren--I like it!!

Congrats on your new babe finally entering the world!!

TwinFoxes
02-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Great name! Many congratulations.

KpbS
02-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Love Penelope! Congratulations!

123LuckyMom
02-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Love, love, love Penelope Wren!!! It's a beautiful name. Congratulations!!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Love it!

BabyBearsMom
02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Penelope Wren is a gorgeous name. Congratulations

Momit
02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Congratulations! Love the name you chose.

marymoo86
02-01-2014, 11:22 PM

I LOVE It!!!!!!! I really love Wren and wanted for DD2s name. Are you going to use Poppy as a NN?

ourbabygirl
02-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Congrats on your new baby girl, and thanks for the update! :cheerleader1:

Seitvonzu
02-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Love the name- both first and middle! congratulations to your expanded family :)