PDA

View Full Version : Help! Travel Sleep Setup

lizzywednesday
11-19-2013, 03:29 PM
OK, I know this will be moved to "Gear" (and I am OK with that after I get a few responses) but I'm asking here for the traffic:

Can anyone recommend a safe-for-a-3-year-old travel cot? DD is 3.5 yrs old and weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of +/-35lbs. She's also fairly tall for her age - 41" or so - so it's going to need to be long enough for her to use through multiple trips.

For a very short list of reasons, mostly of the 8-legged variety, we do not want anything that rests directly on the floor, so that rules out PeaPod or an air mattress.

azzeps
11-20-2013, 06:57 PM
My in-laws purchased this for DS when we were there this summer: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186

It was fine, except that he's not used to sleeping independently and would wind up on the twin sized air mattress that I was using next to him. That wasn't the fault of the cot, though! I think they topped it with some egg crate, if I recall. I also never saw it broken down, so I'm not sure how small it was or if it would take up a lot of space in your trunk. Sure is cheap, though!

annex
11-20-2013, 09:36 PM
We got this for DS after he outgrew the PeaPod -
http://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Kids-Fun-Cot-Pink/dp/B002KKBSGS/

It does take up more trunk space, but in our case we needed a way to enclose him completely because he sleeps much better that way (and sleep on vacations is so priceless!)

lizzywednesday
11-22-2013, 03:34 PM
My in-laws purchased this for DS when we were there this summer: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186

It was fine, except that he's not used to sleeping independently and would wind up on the twin sized air mattress that I was using next to him. That wasn't the fault of the cot, though! I think they topped it with some egg crate, if I recall. I also never saw it broken down, so I'm not sure how small it was or if it would take up a lot of space in your trunk. Sure is cheap, though!

We would not be driving anywhere with it except from the store to the ILs' place. They have a pickup truck, so, most times, space isn't really an issue, but this looks like it folds up quite small.

It would stay at their place when we weren't there.

And ... it appears to be available at the WalMart stores near them at present.

mikala
11-22-2013, 03:58 PM

We have this too and really like it. We usually pad it with a folded blanket or a few towels and ds1 sleeps well in it. He would probably be fine without padding too.

Eta :it folds up tiny, think camp chair style and similar light weight.

lizzywednesday
11-22-2013, 08:51 PM
We have this too and really like it. We usually pad it with a folded blanket or a few towels and ds1 sleeps well in it. He would probably be fine without padding too.

Eta :it folds up tiny, think camp chair style and similar light weight.

Thanks.

I think that's probably our best option with maybe a fleece throw for warmth and we can cut an inexpensive egg crate mattress topper to fit.

ArizonaGirl
11-22-2013, 10:31 PM

We have this for our almost 5 year old but he has been using it since he was a little less than 3. We use it whenever we travel because he is a wild man sleeper and a twin bed up high he would definitely fall off of.

We have been very pleased especially for the price and it is very compact and he seems to think it is comfy.

We have a sleeping bag we put on top of it to add cushion and warmth.

HTH

lizzywednesday
11-23-2013, 02:48 PM
We have this for our almost 5 year old but he has been using it since he was a little less than 3. We use it whenever we travel because he is a wild man sleeper and a twin bed up high he would definitely fall off of.

We have been very pleased especially for the price and it is very compact and he seems to think it is comfy.

We have a sleeping bag we put on top of it to add cushion and warmth.

HTH

Thanks! Everyone's recommendations have been very helpful. I'm also figuring we'd get Ziploc XL bags would be a decent storage solution to protect it from bugs & dirt in the off-season. (We're the only people with kids who visit the ILs' place out west.)

I'm considering getting DD a sleeping bag to go with it, too.