PDA

View Full Version : Go to school or home another day?

Simon
11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Ds1 has strep throat. He started antibiotics today at 12:30 (noon) and he will have 2 doses today. Will he be safe to attend school tomorrow morning (8 am) or should I keep him home another day? I'm not sure when he'll stop being contagious. I heard different things from the nurse and pharmacist. He feels fine right now and is playing with his brothers, but I suspect his fever may go up again tonight and the sore throat/headache will come back.

JBaxter
11-19-2013, 05:58 PM
If his fever stays down I think I would let it up to him in the AM.

nfowife
11-19-2013, 05:59 PM
I would keep him home. Need 24 hours on abx to return to school.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-19-2013, 07:01 PM
My doctor said my DS could go if he had 2 doses and felt up to it when he had strep throat earlier this year. He did go to school the next day and no issues.

Indianamom2
11-19-2013, 07:31 PM
I would keep him home. Need 24 hours on abx to return to school.

I think this is the typical policy of most schools, and one that as a parent, I appreciate.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Could go either way. Ds2 had strep 2 weeks ago and got meds around 4pm. The NP said he could go back in the AM. I had always heard 24 hours though so he stayed home.

Simon
11-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone. I will keep him home from school but we may leave the house in the afternoon, once we've passed the full 24 hours. He feels fine and actually woke me up this morning so he wouldn't be late. I just hate that he had to miss 3 days of school when he feels fine most of the time. I knew it was strep from the start but the darned rapid culture came back negative so we had to wait for the 2nd test to get the drugs.