PDA

View Full Version : Quick Minecraft question

SASM
11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
What is the difference between the $30 laptop version and the $6 Pocket apps? DS and DD1 already have the apps on their mobile devices but are begging for laptop versions. What is the benefit?? Is it "pay $30 for the gift card and you're done" or do they need to buy it annually, use the gift cards to buy items within the game, etc?? Can two ppl use the same game if one $30 card is purchased??

Pennylane
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the the $30 version only pays for 6 months of membership online but it allows you access to everything during those months.

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Pennylane
11-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Oh and no, only 1 player per account . All three of my dc have separate accounts .

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't think that's right. I've only paid once and it's been more than a year. Dh and ds1 have accounts on it too.

o_mom
11-19-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the the $30 version only pays for 6 months of membership online but it allows you access to everything during those months.

The $30 (really $26.95) is a one-time fee for an account. There are no in-game purchases and they have said it will always include all the updates. There are third-party items you can purchase to go with it (skins, texture packs, access to multiplayer servers, etc.) but the basic game is all included in the purchase price.

Oh and no, only 1 player per account . All three of my dc have separate accounts .

You can only have one account for the $30, but unless you are playing in multiplayer, you can have multiple people use the same account.

We have one account for all three. Technically it is DS1's account, but since they don't play online at all, it doesn't really matter. There are unlimited save slots for each account, so they all save their own games as different names. If you want more than one to play online or want to do multiplayer local games on your LAN, then you will need more than one account. We also have it installed on all three of our PCs. When they have friends over they can all log in under their own names and play together on a LAN world.

As far as the PC version vs. Pocket Edition - it is better, IMO. It just has more features and bigger worlds.

SASM
11-19-2013, 09:46 PM
The $30 (really $26.95) is a one-time fee for an account. There are no in-game purchases and they have said it will always include all the updates. There are third-party items you can purchase to go with it (skins, texture packs, access to multiplayer servers, etc.) but the basic game is all included in the purchase price.

You can only have one account for the $30, but unless you are playing in multiplayer, you can have multiple people use the same account.

We have one account for all three. Technically it is DS1's account, but since they don't play online at all, it doesn't really matter. There are unlimited save slots for each account, so they all save their own games as different names. If you want more than one to play online or want to do multiplayer local games on your LAN, then you will need more than one account. We also have it installed on all three of our PCs. When they have friends over they can all log in under their own names and play together on a LAN world.

As far as the PC version vs. Pocket Edition - it is better, IMO. It just has more features and bigger worlds.

Thank you!!!!!!!! A little more clear. So, if both of my kids have their own worlds on their mobile devices, it is best that they have their own $26 accts. I only need to pay for this once. Both of these would be on the same laptop, though, but in their own "sides". Is that possible?? Also, if this laptop should die, are their acts in a cloud so they could easily sign up again on a new computer??

thank you!!!

o_mom
11-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you!!!!!!!! A little more clear. So, if both of my kids have their own worlds on their mobile devices, it is best that they have their own $26 accts. I only need to pay for this once. Both of these would be on the same laptop, though, but in their own "sides". Is that possible?? Also, if this laptop should die, are their acts in a cloud so they could easily sign up again on a new computer??

thank you!!!

Oh... so complicated, lol.

If they are only going to play on one computer and not do multiplayer stuff online, then one $26 account should be sufficient. They can each save their own world (or worlds) even though it is the same account. Mine each have their own login/side to our PC, but it's the same Minecraft account for all three and they just save their stuff separately. So the saved worlds might be named like this:

"DS1's World 1"
"DS2's World 1"
"DS3's World 1"
"DS1's World 2"
etc.

If the laptop were to die, you would still have the account, but any worlds they had built would be on the computer hard drive. They could easily sign on again, but anything they built would be lost. However, it is easy enough to backup their world files with your regular method and they are not large files.

If, down the road, you find more than one is playing online or they want to play on multiple computers with each other at home, you can always purchase another account.

BTW - I'm not sure if this is still true, but when we signed up they said you cannot ever change the account name, so choose something that will 'grow' with them. Nothing with their name in it, nothing that screams 8 yo girl, lol.

SASM
11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Oh... so complicated, lol.

If they are only going to play on one computer and not do multiplayer stuff online, then one $26 account should be sufficient. They can each save their own world (or worlds) even though it is the same account. Mine each have their own login/side to our PC, but it's the same Minecraft account for all three and they just save their stuff separately. So the saved worlds might be named like this:

"DS1's World 1"
"DS2's World 1"
"DS3's World 1"
"DS1's World 2"
etc.

If the laptop were to die, you would still have the account, but any worlds they had built would be on the computer hard drive. They could easily sign on again, but anything they built would be lost. However, it is easy enough to backup their world files with your regular method and they are not large files.

If, down the road, you find more than one is playing online or they want to play on multiple computers with each other at home, you can always purchase another account.

BTW - I'm not sure if this is still true, but when we signed up they said you cannot ever change the account name, so choose something that will 'grow' with them. Nothing with their name in it, nothing that screams 8 yo girl, lol.
okay...so the "multiplayer stuff online" is when they would play against classmates/friends, right? I have a feeling this is why they want the laptop version. If so, they would each need their own cards/accts? Right now, they do not play against anyone on their apps. Not sure if they can, although DS said that he DID create some bizarre username that definitely doesn't scream "10yo boy". Gosh...sooooo confusing!!! The website was ZERO help so thank you!!!! I am still confused but it is a little clearer. :)

Pennylane
11-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Oops, Sorry! I just asked my dd and she told me I had it all wrong. I think I had it confused with Club Penguin!

Ann

SASM
11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Oops, Sorry! I just asked my dd and she told me I had it all wrong. I think I had it confused with Club Penguin!

Ann
:) :) I hear you...

pastrygirl
11-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Also note that the different apps are not connected. My son can't see his iPad worlds on the laptop or vice-versa, and can't see laptop worlds on the iMac. It's all completely separate.

FWIW, I signed him up for the Sandlot Minecraft server. It seems safe and so far he's only interested in creating his own space. He doesn't interact with other people...yet.

o_mom
11-20-2013, 02:14 PM
okay...so the "multiplayer stuff online" is when they would play against classmates/friends, right? I have a feeling this is why they want the laptop version. If so, they would each need their own cards/accts? Right now, they do not play against anyone on their apps. Not sure if they can, although DS said that he DID create some bizarre username that definitely doesn't scream "10yo boy". Gosh...sooooo confusing!!! The website was ZERO help so thank you!!!! I am still confused but it is a little clearer. :)

Yes, if he want's to play with friends online that would be multiplayer. If you are really only going to use one computer, technically you don't need more than one account, but both people will have the same username/account when playing online. Might be confusing to others though if one time it is DS and the other time is DD1 - there is a chat capability on there. If only one child is going to play online and the other one will not do the online stuff, I would stick with one account - so if only DS wants to play online with friends and DDs are good just playing alone on your computer you can get away with one account.

Also, as PP said, the iPad/iPod app cannot connect with the PC versions and I think the xBox version is yet another one, so confirm what his friends have if that is what he wants the account for.

SASM
11-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Also note that the different apps are not connected. My son can't see his iPad worlds on the laptop or vice-versa, and can't see laptop worlds on the iMac. It's all completely separate.

FWIW, I signed him up for the Sandlot Minecraft server. It seems safe and so far he's only interested in creating his own space. He doesn't interact with other people...yet.
Ohhhhh....that is REALLY good to know!! Will look into that...have no clue!! Thank you!!!

mom2binsd
11-20-2013, 05:28 PM
I also know that for the more expensive version you need a decent graphics card in your computer, we don't have the newest computer so we just have the pocket version.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2