PDA

View Full Version : glasses at 16 months

lmh2402
11-19-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm so very sad tonight.

took DD to the eye doctor today. I had a hunch. it shouldn't be a huge surprise, I have horrible vision including a very strong astigmatism, which is a hereditary problem.

DS has been in glasses since he was 2, and I was sad about him, but his correction has been very minor and hasn't changed (worsened at all) since his first pair of glasses, which is amazing.

but the doc confirmed that DD's astigmatism in both eyes is severe for her age. he said she will not follow the same course as DS - mild issues that have a chance to stabilize. chances are her eyesight will be quite poor and she will be in glasses all her life and likely face the same challenges I face in finding well-fitting comfortable contacts b/c of the severity of the astigmatism.

I feel beyond guilty knowing that I've passed this to my children.

I fully understand that things could be worse and I am so grateful that it's not something worse that we're dealing with. But I still feel very sad for her to have to start down this path so, so young.

I keep looking at the photos we just got back from the photographer for our cards. Her little face is so beautiful and I know full-well that it will be beautiful with glasses too. But I also know from experience with DS that in time she will look "strange" to me without her glasses, and that saddens me. To know that this round of photos will be the last I will have of her just being her cute, unmarred little baby self.

thanks for listening.

BunnyBee
11-19-2013, 09:17 PM
:grouphug:

She is a total doll baby! :love5:

123LuckyMom
11-19-2013, 09:20 PM
She's soooo beautiful, and I know she'll look great in glasses, too. I get it, though. I would feel sad, too.

MamaMolly
11-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Oh mama, such a beautiful post, and such a lovely child. Huge hugs as you process this.

tabegle
11-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Hugs! She is so precious.

Indianamom2
11-19-2013, 10:26 PM
I understand. But also remember that in her lifetime, there will very likely be huge advancements that could mean glasses are a thing of the past or contacts are vastly improved. There's hope, but I know how you feel at the same time. :hug:

ourbabygirl
11-19-2013, 10:49 PM
:grouphug: She's beautiful!

MMMommy
11-19-2013, 10:54 PM
She is gorgeous and will be beautiful with or without glasses. I am sorry this hurts you and saddens you. I understand bad eyesight. I have terrible eyesight and the worst glasses/contacts prescription of anyone I know.

Still-in-Shock
11-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Sending you hugs!

queenmama
11-19-2013, 11:31 PM
I wish I could hug you both. Of all the things we can pass on to our kids, our poor eyesight, allergies, etc. are not the things that make the list.

She's a beautiful baby and she'll look adorable with glasses. But I know where you're coming from and share your sadness.

Lara

AshleyAnn
11-19-2013, 11:33 PM
She's precious.

There's a lil girl in DDs preschool class that wears glasses and I think they make her extra adorable.

Science is constantly changing - lasik eye surgery or something even better maybe an option for her before you know it.

lmh2402
11-19-2013, 11:59 PM
thanks guys. watching her in the monitor tonight and counting my blessings that she's mine with or without glasses

thanks for the hugs and support

crl
11-20-2013, 12:05 AM
:hug:

Catherine

Mopey
11-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Sending lots of hugs for you both. My hubby has very, very bad sight (as in coke bottle bottom) so I can empathize somewhat. You know it'll be okay, and it's okay to be sad Mama :hug:

elizabethkott
11-20-2013, 12:23 AM
(((((Hugs)))))
It's totally, totally okay to be sad, mama.
I'm blind as a bat with horrible astigmatism, and I'd be so sad, too.

rin
11-20-2013, 12:45 AM
:hug:

I know this day is probably coming for both our girls; both DH & I have terrible vision, both with astigmatism, and it would be a miracle if either of our girls doesn't need glasses.

I know I'll be sad too.

sunshine873
11-20-2013, 01:16 AM
I've been there and know exactly how you feel. Hugs!

eagle
11-20-2013, 01:19 AM
hugs, mama

bisous
11-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Aww, feel better. She may have vision challenges but she has an awesome mama to help her navigate that world. That gives her a HUGE advantage in this crazy world of ours. Hugs! I get it. DS1 has some serious vision challenges too. I'll bet she looks adorable with her glasses. I've come to think DS looks incredibly handsome with his. :)

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Sweety, don't be sad at all.

DD2 got glasses at just over 2 yrs., but I had a feeling she was going to need them when she was a super small baby. DD2 is a -6 in one eye and a +2 in the other eye. We could tell last year even when her prescription isn't as precise as it is now that she was 10x happier and more focused once she was in her glasses. I am sure your daughter will have the same experience as well.

Good luck, and lots of hugs.