PDA

View Full Version : s/o do your boys "do" their hair before school (1-3 grade)

hillview
11-19-2013, 09:13 PM
My boys (age 6 & 8) don't do their hair. I used to nag them but don't anymore. They don't care. I try not to. Both kids have hair that sticks up some (bed head look).

BunnyBee
11-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm happy when he brushes it most days. He got a horrible haircut in 1st grade that looked like the guy from Dumb & Dumber. It bothered him, and he didn't want it buzzed. We used gel to make it stand up a little spiky until it grew out.

crl
11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
No. His hair is short and super straight. Some days it sticks up. If he doesn't care, I don't care. He is in fourth.

Catherine

bisous
11-19-2013, 09:53 PM
I just got DS1 a haircut that needs a little bit of styling. He looks great but hates using the gel. His old haircut was longer and didn't need anything but a quick comb. He's actually in 4th grade though.

hellokitty
11-19-2013, 09:55 PM
My kids don't really have to do their hair. Sometimes when it is close to when they need their haircut, they'll get bedhead, but their hair normally looks perfect as soon as they rollbout of bed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

baymom
11-19-2013, 09:58 PM
DS is in 4th and doesn't do his hair. He's trying to grow it out and it is definitely long enough that it would look better if he DID comb it, but he says he's going for a 'messy tousled soccer player' look, so he doesn't. I'm totally okay with it.

rlu
11-19-2013, 10:00 PM
If it was sticking up DH would gel it down and I think in 3rd DS was doing his own. But only if I said something, otherwise he doesn't care (yet).

niccig
11-19-2013, 10:01 PM
DS has short straight hair. He doesn't like it sticking up, so he sprays it with detangler spray and combs it flat. He's in 3rd grade and has been doing that since 1st grade. He hates knots in his hair, so once it gets too long, he wants it cut.

JBaxter
11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Nope I wet down the bed head sometimes.

o_mom
11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
DS1 has fine straight hair. At most I run a hand over his head to put it in place.

DS2 has short, thicker hair that doesn't really move much. It doesn't look much different combed or uncombed.

DS3 has crazy hair. It looks like he stuck his finger in an electric socket in the morning. If I think about it, I comb it, but he hates it because it tangles (and it's no more than 1-1.5 in long) and within 10 min it is back to crazy. We wet it down, smoothed it out and had it all in place for church on Sunday and by the children's sermon it was all sticky-out again.

essnce629
11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
DS1 is 10, 5th grade, and doesn't comb his hair because he wears a hat to school everyday. Most of the older boys at his school wear baseball caps everyday and he has been since 3rd grade. If he didn't wear a hat I'd make him spray it with water, add gel, and comb since he has thick hair and it can get unruly. I only make him take off the hat on picture day and holidays!

Kindra178
11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
I have brushed my boys' hair about ten times total in their entire lives, excluding the week they had lice. None of my boys' classmates have ever had styled hair, at three different preschools and one elementary.

Momit
11-20-2013, 12:09 AM
DS is 5 and in pre-k. He has curly-ish hair that looks fine even if it hasn't been brushed. My styling usually consists of snipping a little matted section from the back - there will be one small chunk that sticks straight out and looks kind of funny. One day out of the blue he said he wanted to brush his hair so it looked nice before we went somewhere, but that hasn't happened again.

ETA not to hijack, but what kind of brush do you even use on a little boy's hair? I still have the tiny baby one we got from the hospital - I've never been sure what to replace it with.

ett
11-20-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't do anything with my boys' hair. I'll fix their "bed head" with some water if it's picture day. I might fix it on other days if there's time in the morning!

Piglet
11-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Nope, neither of my boys "do" anything in the grooming category. I try to keep their hair on the shorter side or it gets unwieldy, but that is about it. I am just relieved when they are bathed, teeth brushed, nails trimmed!

carolinacool
11-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Most of the older boys at his school wear baseball caps everyday and he has been since 3rd grade. If he didn't wear a hat I'd make him spray it with water, add gel, and comb since he has thick hair and it can get unruly. I only make him take off the hat on picture day and holidays!

My DS is nearly 4, so younger than the poll. But it sounds like our boys have the same type hair because that is the exact routine my husband does for DS.

speo
11-20-2013, 12:24 AM
I guess I am the only crazy mama here. I wet and comb my boys' hair everyday! I don't like them to walk around with bed head. They have straight hair that gets messy when they sleep. Sometimes DS1 styles his own hair. He has enjoyed doing it since he was 5.

queenmama
11-20-2013, 12:32 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/20/gumy5u2y.jpg

This was Henry in first grade (7 years ago! *cries*). The longer his hair is, the less it needs "fixing." His shorter hairstyles tend to stick up in unflattering ways thanks to some inherited cowlicks. At those ages (1st-3rd grades) he did need help taming the Alfalfa. I generally sprayed water or leave-in conditioner before brushing it down smooth, or sometimes fauxhawk it, depending on the top length.

He's 13 and has been "fixing" it himself for a few years now.

Lara

smilequeen
11-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Yes, I fix their hair (1st and 3rd graders). Wet and brush down the bed head for DS1 and add a little gel. Give DS2 his signature faux hawk.

MontrealMum
11-20-2013, 12:39 AM
DS does not "do" his hair, and besides having specific ideas on length, he doesn't care much how it looks. DH doesn't either :( -and he's the one responsible for DS in the morning. Mind you, his hair really doesn't need much more than a quick brush/comb. (DS, not DH. DH has wild man hair w/o product and some care)

ETA not to hijack, but what kind of brush do you even use on a little boy's hair? I still have the tiny baby one we got from the hospital - I've never been sure what to replace it with.
I just use my own brush on it when necessary. Normally I just use a wide toothed comb. His hair is like mine - slightly wavy and fine, but lots of it. It really doesn't require product or anything special to look OK.

Mermanaid
11-20-2013, 12:39 AM
I try to make him do it everyday. Most of the time he uses a comb and a spray bottle of water. But on days he particularly cares about his hair he uses the gel.

He has a ton of fine hair and 4-5 cowlicks so it looks funky if it's not done in some way. And I like for him to do it so he takes some pride in appearance. And probably because I always think back to my tween/teenage years and hear my mother saying, "are you really going to leave the house with your hair like that?"

lovin2shop
11-20-2013, 01:53 AM
I sometimes chase after my Kinder with the water bottle, but some days I don't have the energy. Also, he likes an occasional faux hawk, so then he gets gel.

My 5th grader definitely cares about his hair, but we disagree about what looks good. He likes to push it all forward from the back of his head, and it is not flattering. I don't fight that battle, but do often run my fingers through his hair without him realizing why!

JustMe
11-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Nope, my 2nd grader does not fix his hair. I do brush it on school days but mostly because I put the anti-lice spray in. Many weekend days it is not brushed..but I will brush it if it starts to be obvious!

I am okay with him not doing it himself b/c when he does, he brushes his curly/wavy hair as flat as he can and it just looks---off, well at least to me. He's still adorable, of course, but it does look off to me.

Corie
11-20-2013, 09:49 AM
My son has barely any hair. He gets it buzzed off at the barber. Very easy! :)

Simon
11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
I have brushed my boys' hair about ten times total in their entire lives, excluding the week they had lice. None of my boys' classmates have ever had styled hair, at three different preschools and one elementary.

:yeahthat: I have combed for cradle cap but neither they nor I pay much attention to their hair. Ds1 is 2nd grade and the other boys don't do much to their hair either.

arivecchi
11-20-2013, 10:54 AM
DS2 has super short hair so nothing. DS1's hair is long and straight so it gets tangled. We untangle it a bit in the mornings and off he goes. He'd go with tangled messy hair if we let him. It's so not on his radar.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I make them brush it. Beyond that, they don't really care. Ds1 will occasionally style it but rare.

elektra
11-20-2013, 11:15 AM
My DS would do his hair if he could. He will try. But I feel like product in a pre-k'er is unnecessary, unless it's a family picture or special occasion or just dressing up. So he may wet his hair down and go, but don't want him messing with gel on his own and I am not going to be doing his hair unless it's a special occasion. We keep it pretty short.
DD will brush her own hair. I would let her use a little product if she wanted but she likes it just brushed or in a ponytail. We do use gel for her dance recitals.

My own hair is only done for special occasions. I am probably teaching my kids horrible grooming habits, as I literally roll out of bed and shuffle to my office and start working in my pj's. Personal grooming is low on my priority list. Thank god for ponytails.

Mermanaid
11-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Thank god for ponytails.

I consider a pony tail to be groomed because you brushed it to get it that way!

icunurse
11-20-2013, 11:43 AM
DS has always had the same haircut - short all around and a little longer in front to spike up. He has a massive cowlick in the back, so any longer and it just starts to look way too poofy. Basically, we wet down any bed head and some days put gel in the front to make it look a little spiky/messy.

carolinacool
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
My DS would do his hair if he could. He will try. But I feel like product in a pre-k'er is unnecessary, unless it's a family picture or special occasion or just dressing up. So he may wet his hair down and go, but don't want him messing with gel on his own and I am not going to be doing his hair unless it's a special occasion. We keep it pretty short.

I know what you mean. We use a crazy-expensive product in my 3-year-old's hair. But he has bi-racial curly/wavy hair that needs something if he wants to leave the house looking decent. But I'll be really sad if he decides he wants to buzz it off one day. It's so pretty - whenever we go out in person, people always gush about his hair.

Blakes Mommy
11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
My boys (age 6 & 8) don't do their hair. I used to nag them but don't anymore. They don't care. I try not to. Both kids have hair that sticks up some (bed head look).

Both my boys who just turned the same ages as your boys get their hair done by me/Mom. They both have curly hair. DS1 has bigger loose curls and tends to wear his a bit longer than DS2 who has smaller curls. I brush it out and then spray with water and run my finger through and scrunch a little for DS1 and pat it into shape for DS2....If I didn't do it for them they would go to school on some days with crazy hair! Sometimes it might look okay but I like to get the sleeping tangles out so they don't end of with knots!!! They would never do it themselves, we have to eventually work on this or cut their hair super short/buzz cut or bald!!!

BabbyO
11-20-2013, 12:24 PM
My kids are younger, but I don't even brush their hair most mornings if I'm getting them ready. They both have stick straight hair. Stachio's is very coarse like mine, my brothers, and his biological brother's. There really isn't much to do...or even brush once it's dry.

Peanut still has a little bit of the softness of baby hair left, so sometimes I actually have to brush it so it isn't tangled, but even his requires very little. I suspect it will get coarser over the next year and be much like mine, and Stachio's.

Ironically, DH's hair is finer and very curly (though you can't tell, because he keeps it buzzed most of the time).

ilfaith
11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
I rarely "do" my boys hair, aside from running a comb through it following a shower. Occasionally if the bedhead is really bad, I might go over it with a wet brush. DS1 has thick, coarse, bushy hair. DS2 has finer, curlier hair, and DS3 has poker straight hair.

mikeys_mom
11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
DS does nothing with his hair in the morning. We try to keep it short so it's easier to manage. It's thick and has curls so as soon as it starts to get long he looks a bit rumpled. He wears a kippa all the time so that will hide any bed head craziness he has. It's enough of an effort to get him to shower that having him comb his hair is low on my priorities. I'm just happy that he gets dressed on his own and out the door on time.

twowhat?
11-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I consider a pony tail to be groomed because you brushed it to get it that way!

LOL, me too! I consider it to be a PITA with girls in the morning that you have to do something with their hair. If I had a boy (assuming short hair), I'd just let him roll out of bed and go!

Piglet
11-20-2013, 03:32 PM
DS does nothing with his hair in the morning. We try to keep it short so it's easier to manage. It's thick and has curls so as soon as it starts to get long he looks a bit rumpled. He wears a kippa all the time so that will hide any bed head craziness he has. It's enough of an effort to get him to shower that having him comb his hair is low on my priorities. I'm just happy that he gets dressed on his own and out the door on time.

LOL - I could have written this post word for word. Never gave the kippa much thought, but yes, it does a great job of hiding the cowlicks :)