PDA

View Full Version : Picking out a nursing pillow at 40+ weeks?

u2ecila
11-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Hi!
I have tried the boppy, mombo and my brest friend pillows this week... But I am 40+ weeks right now, so lets just say I am a little bigger than normal. ;)

So the boppy was the only one that felt like it fit right, but since I am ginormous should I just wait until after baby comes and try them on again? I have a loaner mombo from a friend for the hospital I can use. I plan on ebf, but I honestly have no idea what I should be looking for in a nursing pillow!

Any tips or pointers? I am about to make my last minute amazon purchases, so I am not sure if I should just buy one and hope it works.

Thanks!
Alice

mikala
11-20-2013, 12:55 AM
If you have a loaner I'd wait to buy.

Personally I didn't like the Boppy because baby always seemed to slip between my belly and the pillow and it would screw up his latch.

It's $$$ but I really liked the blessed nest pillow I got for my second ds at a local store.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TFNPWA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384923165&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

maybeebaby08
11-20-2013, 07:07 AM
I'd wait til after you have the baby, I didn't like the Boppy. I actually ended up buying My Breast Friend at the hospital, there was a breastfeeding store. I had tried the lactation consulatant's MBF and loved it. It was $36, around the same price as BRU/ Amazon.

georgiegirl
11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Luna lullaby!

mom2binsd
11-20-2013, 10:43 AM
My breast friend is awesome, it has a nice flat surface to keep baby stable, I liked the pockets too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I made do with my Boppy but I preferred the My Breast Friend one. I layered pillows to bring the Boppy up a bit so I wouldn't hunch.

Simon
11-20-2013, 11:25 AM
If you have a loaner, wait. All three of my sons preferred nursing in different positions/holds and not all nursing pillows worked well for them. I did use a boppy with my 3rd son but my first did best with just regular pillows piled up. I'd wait until you meet your baby and figure out if the mombo works for you, get your nursing going well, then head to a baby store and check out their selection.

echoesofspring
11-20-2013, 01:21 PM
I'd wait to buy and also make sure you try them if possible in the chair you plan to nurse in. I had the MBF with DS, but the recliner i used was really a bit too narrow for it. I bought the Boppy on a lark at Ross for DD, and it fit the chair a lot better. I ended up using both in different chairs (in DD's room and out in the family room)

ECUPirateMom
11-20-2013, 01:51 PM
I used the boppy, GIA and MBF and MBF was and still is my favorite :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
I only used the Boppy while nursing in bed before we went to sleep - we didn't buy a rocker so there wasn't anywhere to sit in our nursery. I'd bend my knees, prop pillows behind my back, and set the Boppy against the slope of my thighs, propping DD in between for cross-cradle holds.

All other times, I'd use couch pillows! So, while I felt it was a necessary piece of gear before my DD arrived, after she was here, I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.

TxCat
11-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Luna lullaby!

:yeahthat:

I didn't use one with my first, and got the Luna Lullaby this second time around and have loved it.

jam224
11-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Personally I didn't like the Boppy because baby always seemed to slip between my belly and the pillow and it would screw up his latch.

Totally agree. Hated the Boppy. Loved My Brest Friend. I would buy it now that way you already have it on hand.

westwoodmom04
11-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Second the luna lullaby, so much more comfortable and softer than boppy and my Brest friend.

MamaSnoo
11-23-2013, 03:40 PM
I used MBF a lot with my first, and I loved it. With my second, I used it, but not as much. I used couch pillows a lot when downstairs, and used the MBF or boppy when in the rocker. My rocker has a narrow seat, so the arm rests tended to hold the boppy "together" better. I did not like anywhere except in that chair. The Boppy is nice for tummy time as the baby gets bigger, the MBF does not work for that. I would wait to buy until after your LO comes! In hospital with both kids, I just used extra bed pillows. They gave me a ton.

essnce629
11-24-2013, 01:01 AM
I used the My Brest Friend with both kids till they weaned at 24 and 35 months! As you can see, I LOVED it! It has a flat, non-cushy surface so that baby doesn't immediately fall asleep when nursing. I loved that I could even get up to get the phone, etc with baby still attached to me and nursing!

u2ecila
11-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Thank you all!

I ended up using the mombo until the Luna arrived - I love the Luna and plan on getting a second one!