PDA

View Full Version : Need teacher xmas ideas

C&C's mom
11-20-2013, 09:36 AM
My daughter has special needs and I have quite a bit of people to buy for at her school. I have two teachers, two paraprofessionals, and a speech therapist. Any suggestions?

Mermanaid
11-20-2013, 09:48 AM
I am going to get all of our teachers personalized sticky note pads I think.

In the past I've given them 31 Bags from the big sale, lands end totes filled with their favorite munchies so they can relax over the holidays and gift cards.

Blakes Mommy
11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
My daughter has special needs and I have quite a bit of people to buy for at her school. I have two teachers, two paraprofessionals, and a speech therapist. Any suggestions?

We are in the same boat here, times two special need kids with lots of staff!!! I try to do something nice without breaking the bank!

For DS2 who is in an integrated class, what I usually do is get a bag of Lindt chocolates with a cute little bow and tag for each individual (Teacher, teacher assistant, ABA Therapist, BCBA, Speech teacher) and then his classroom teacher and his one to one each get that plus a gift card. I usually get the teacher a gift card to some place like Michaels or A.C. Moore to buy things for the class. For his one to one (ABA therapist) I give a gift card for something else...In the past I have done things like Dunkin Donuts, Bath and Bodyworks, etc...I like to give gift cards in lieu of actual presents since they can get what they want/need. I figure everyone eats chocolate and if not they can always share them with friends/relatives that visit over the holidays. I usually get the bag that is 5 or 7 ounces so it's a decent size and try to get them on sale either at Target and combined that with a $10. off $50. coupon or CVS when they have a deal.

We did the same for DS1 when he was at the public school. Now DS1 goes to a private school and even though he has a teacher who is in charge of the class, there are so many other staff since it is an ABA school. For him I usually send in a very large box of gourmet chocolates to share amongst them. This I usually get at BJ's. They have really nice fancy looking larger gift boxes and they really look nice. He also takes a van with a long ride and I always get the bus driver and assistant the same Lindt chocolates and each get a gift card. I usually get the driver a bigger card than the assistant. Last year I got the driver (Lady) a $20. gift card to Kohl's. For the assistant who is an older guy I gave a $10. Dunkin Donuts one. The last 2 years there was only one other student who rode with him, Now he is the only one and they are with him 45 minutes each way. The van driver is always giving him gifts too....Birthday, Christmas and then occasionally smaller dollar store items a few times. Her kids are mostly grown so I think she likes to do it. Even the assistant has done things like given a card with money to spend at Disney when we went to Disneyland this past summer. We brought them back key chains and also one for his teacher. His particular school is incredible and are always doing stuff for the kids like Birthday, Halloween, Valentines goody bags so I send stuff in as well for him to share with his classmates. I think I may give more this year to his school and probably get his teacher something extra since she has been with him for over a year.

I know these are not exciting or unique gifts so I am wondering what others suggest.

lele
11-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm making homemade hot chocolate mix and putting it in a little glass jar from Ikea, and an individual bottle of champagne. The hot chocolate will have a tag that says "Merry Christmas" and the champagne will say "and Happy New Year!"

twowhat?
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
This year we're doing Envirosax (from the big sale) plus gift cards (probably Target).

C&C's mom
11-20-2013, 12:42 PM
We are in the same boat here, times two special need kids with lots of staff!!! I try to do something nice without breaking the bank!

For DS2 who is in an integrated class, what I usually do is get a bag of Lindt chocolates with a cute little bow and tag for each individual (Teacher, teacher assistant, ABA Therapist, BCBA, Speech teacher) and then his classroom teacher and his one to one each get that plus a gift card. I usually get the teacher a gift card to some place like Michaels or A.C. Moore to buy things for the class. For his one to one (ABA therapist) I give a gift card for something else...In the past I have done things like Dunkin Donuts, Bath and Bodyworks, etc...I like to give gift cards in lieu of actual presents since they can get what they want/need. I figure everyone eats chocolate and if not they can always share them with friends/relatives that visit over the holidays. I usually get the bag that is 5 or 7 ounces so it's a decent size and try to get them on sale either at Target and combined that with a $10. off $50. coupon or CVS when they have a deal.

We did the same for DS1 when he was at the public school. Now DS1 goes to a private school and even though he has a teacher who is in charge of the class, there are so many other staff since it is an ABA school. For him I usually send in a very large box of gourmet chocolates to share amongst them. This I usually get at BJ's. They have really nice fancy looking larger gift boxes and they really look nice. He also takes a van with a long ride and I always get the bus driver and assistant the same Lindt chocolates and each get a gift card. I usually get the driver a bigger card than the assistant. Last year I got the driver (Lady) a $20. gift card to Kohl's. For the assistant who is an older guy I gave a $10. Dunkin Donuts one. The last 2 years there was only one other student who rode with him, Now he is the only one and they are with him 45 minutes each way. The van driver is always giving him gifts too....Birthday, Christmas and then occasionally smaller dollar store items a few times. Her kids are mostly grown so I think she likes to do it. Even the assistant has done things like given a card with money to spend at Disney when we went to Disneyland this past summer. We brought them back key chains and also one for his teacher. His particular school is incredible and are always doing stuff for the kids like Birthday, Halloween, Valentines goody bags so I send stuff in as well for him to share with his classmates. I think I may give more this year to his school and probably get his teacher something extra since she has been with him for over a year.

I know these are not exciting or unique gifts so I am wondering what others suggest.

WoW! I thought I had a lot of people.

C&C's mom
11-20-2013, 12:44 PM
What is the big sale a couple of you mentioned? I know giftcards are practical but sometimes I feel like they are not personal. I should just do some gift cards. I sell origami owl so I though about a necklace for the teachers.

BunnyBee
11-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Heartfelt notes and gift cards. :)

Blakes Mommy
11-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm making homemade hot chocolate mix and putting it in a little glass jar from Ikea, and an individual bottle of champagne. The hot chocolate will have a tag that says "Merry Christmas" and the champagne will say "and Happy New Year!"

Very cute idea!

wendibird22
11-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Last year I did envirosax bag w/ a small GC to Wegmans. This year I found these EOS sets at Wegmans (and Tops for the W.NYers) and thought they were super cute and my girls LOVE lip balm so I figured it was a nice "I love these so I hope you will too" gift directly from my girls to their teachers (1 1st grade teacher and 3 daycare teachers). http://evolutionofsmooth.com/smooth-sphere-three-pack-lip-balm-collection.html
I believe the Wegman's price was $7.99.

I feel safe giving them because they are free of a lot of stuff people might be allergic to or avoid (gluten, nut, soy, parabens, etc).

LKMang
11-20-2013, 01:12 PM
This year we are giving (DS has a teacher, teachers aide, and the director of the preschool) vera bradley zip id cases (got them cheap at the recent vera sale), a small gift card, and some little craft that I need to have DS make. Last year families contributed and a gift card was bought for each teacher.

indigo99
11-20-2013, 01:20 PM
What is the big sale a couple of you mentioned?

Lots of us stock up on items for our gift closets when we find big sales, and they're probably just referring to a particular sale that was posted here on the forum this year. It's a bit annoying when everyone else gets a bargain that you missed, huh?

I'm going in on a group gift for DS1's teachers. Hopefully they'll get gift cards although the present buyers have suggested doing some sort of holiday arrangement that they can use in their home.

wendibird22
11-20-2013, 01:28 PM
If anyone is looking to do Envirosax they are running a BOGO on 5 pack pouches. Add one to your cart and a 2nd of the same print is added automatically. Works out to $4.50 per bag if you wish to separate them out as individual gifts.

http://www.envirosax.com/countdown-to-black-friday-sale/

Dream
11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
DD's kindy teacher usually tend to send notes in sticky notes so I might get her a personalized sticky pad if such a thing is available.

bisous
11-20-2013, 03:19 PM
I know it is highly unoriginal, but I am doing gift cards and nice notes for all of our teachers this year. We typically do the main teachers and the office staff. Why the office staff? Because DS1 is down there several times a day for his type 1 diabetes and they do a FANTASTIC job of taking care of him. I like this "dual" plan because IME teachers come in two camps. One "camp" is like my mom and really appreciates most the heart felt sentiments. The other is happy to have some gift cards. I feel like this way I cast my net wide and I'm bound to have happy teachers. :)

georgiegirl
11-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Gift cards. I'm lazy and I know teachers like them.

Here's a question I have. DDs 2nd grade teacher is due in a few days with her first child. Then the kids will have a long term sub. Do I get the sub something too? Would it be strange to get her teacher a BRU gift card? Or should I get her a separate baby present?

fedoragirl
11-20-2013, 05:11 PM

Here's a question I have. DDs 2nd grade teacher is due in a few days with her first child. Then the kids will have a long term sub. Do I get the sub something too? Would it be strange to get her teacher a BRU gift card? Or should I get her a separate baby present?

When I was pregnant, no one gave me anything for the baby. I didn't teach elementary school so that was probably why. I would not get the sub anything other than a nice card--handmade or store-bought.
I'll probably do gift cards for preschool teachers or a game/puzzle for the classroom.

alexsmommy
11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
This year I just did the Penzey's gift box sets, I usually give GC at the end of the year. My mom (former teacher) and another teacher friend have a list of "please avoid" because they get so many of those items (ie candles). I figure Penzey's is fairly original and fun. End of the year I give GC's. This is DS1's last year at his elementary school (waaaaaaaah!) so I'm going to be looking for some great smokin' deals after the holidays so we can give something to many different people.

ourbabygirl
11-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Last year I did gift cards to Target for DD's preschool & swimming teachers at Christmas, and Envirosax bags (2 each) and Target gift cards for end-of-year gifts. This year I'm doing Starbucks gift cards ($15 each) for her preschool teachers and little homemade Santa and reindeer looking pastry bags filled with hot chocolate, marshmallows, and crushed peppermints, with a spoon stuck in the bottom and a ribbon tied around the spoon (we'll be assembling this weekend and giving them everything next week to go along with Thanksgiving- we'll write out nice thank you cards). Will also give t-y cards and some sort of small denomination gift cards to DS' teachers in his little morning program.

azzeps
11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm thinking about this, too. DD is in Kindergarten half day, and then spends the other half of the school day at the district-run daycare. So I was thinking gift cards for all... just have to figure out the amounts... 1 teacher, 1 assistant, and she has named 2 of the daycare workers so far. Does anyone else include the librarian, music teacher and/or PE teacher? Should I take in a tray of cookies or something for the office staff? I feel like I don't want to forget anyone, but then again, this could get expensive, and I will likely do it again in June....

squimp
11-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Heartfelt notes and gift cards. :)

Yup! This is what I do as well. Doing the math on 25 kids giving treats or mugs or whatever, I am happy to do something simple. We always do a card from DD and one from the parents.

wendmatt
11-20-2013, 11:38 PM

I think BRU is a great idea. If the long term sub is good then I would def buy something for her. I'm student teaching 2nd grade the long term sub in the other class does as much work as the teachers for less pay (long term subs do all lesson plannning and interventions etc, they don't just show up like a regular sub) and def forges a strong bond with the students.

Kindra178
11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I got a few L'occitane hand cream sets at last week's Sephora VIB sale plus a Starbucks gc.

carolinacool
11-20-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm doing gift cards to Barnes & Noble for DS' two main teachers and Target gift cards for the two floaters who come in late in the afternoon. I might also give the EOS lip balms. I think those are cute.

belovedgandp
11-21-2013, 12:52 AM
We contribute to the class gift for elementary school teachers and classroom paras.

I have each elementary aged kid pick one specials teacher (PE, music, spanish, library, art, computer) or other adult in the building each year to give a gift to. I knit bags or do gift cards. I figure by the time all my kids get through elementary school we'll have given each adult they regularly contact besides their classroom teacher a gift or two. Better for me to do an extra one or two $25 gifts each year than try to come up with a dozen $5 things.

inmypjs
11-21-2013, 01:36 AM
How much $ are people putting on a gift card for your child's primary classroom teacher?

KrisM
11-21-2013, 07:32 AM
We generally do gift cards. We're doing a group gift of stocking the classroom of art, books, games, etc for DD's brand new 2nd grade teacher. But, honestly, I'll probably also get her a gift card so she can get something for herself.

I do $10 to $20. My kids like giving to the specials teachers, and I do $10 for them. I do $20 for the primary teachers. DD and DS2 are in the same school this year, and I'll have them both sign to the specials teacher and we'll divide it up on who hands it over :)

JBaxter
11-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I got Vera Bradly totes for about $21 each :D and a free one for my self.

carolinacool
11-21-2013, 11:22 AM
How much $ are people putting on a gift card for your child's primary classroom teacher?

December is often pretty tight for this, so my standard had been $10 across the board plus a smaller side gift for the primary teachers (last year it was a hand soap from Bath and Body Works). Last year, I think we did $15 for his main teachers because we liked them so much. I'll probably do $20 this year.

C&C's mom
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Also, was just at Costco and they have awesome yummy candies in nice giftbags. And they have the two movie ticket bundle for like $15.

twowhat?
11-21-2013, 12:01 PM
December is often pretty tight for this, so my standard had been $10 across the board plus a smaller side gift for the primary teachers (last year it was a hand soap from Bath and Body Works). Last year, I think we did $15 for his main teachers because we liked them so much. I'll probably do $20 this year.

I'm going to do $20 for all the teachers (just four - 2 primary and 2 assistant). The assistants really work just as hard and probably get paid less. We are able to afford it this year.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2013, 12:15 PM
last year we just gave each teacher $15 or $20 in GC i believe (four teachers total..two main teachers and two assitants). i gave main teacher and assistant same gifts, they seem to do same amt of work. The kids had only been going for a month so I didn't really know what they liked or whatever and i was busy getting used to work FT and dealing with sick kids and the insanity of all that. plus i knew teachers really liked getting gift cards :)

this year i am giving Vera Bradley lunch boxes for each teacher (again four .each kid has a main teacher and an assistant teacher). they are normally $34 but with that sale melbel posted i got them for $13 each!! i am pretty stoked as i know the teachers here are really into bags and this kind of thing (they love VB, Thirty-one, etc). I may stick a $5 GC to Starbucks or something in each one.

carolinacool
11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm going to do $20 for all the teachers (just four - 2 primary and 2 assistant). The assistants really work just as hard and probably get paid less. We are able to afford it this year.

When I say assistants, I guess I should say floaters. I think they come into my son's class around 5 p.m. and mainly handle the pick-up duties. I'm not sure where they spend the rest of the day. And one always looks so mean. LOL

mackmama
11-21-2013, 01:37 PM
For those who give gift cards-- how much? This is our first year of school so not sure what's appropriate. We have 3 preschool teachers. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Depends on number of teachers. I usually do about $20-25.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2013, 02:00 PM
When I say assistants, I guess I should say floaters. I think they come into my son's class around 5 p.m. and mainly handle the pick-up duties. I'm not sure where they spend the rest of the day. And one always looks so mean. LOL

oh yeah, i don't do gifts for those teachers. i'm always picking up my dc in different classrooms with different teachers (e.g. my DS will always be in the preK or K class when i pick him up with one of the K teachers)...i don't even know all their names, and with two kiddos that would be 5 or 6 extra teachers to buy for...so i just stick to their main classroom teachers.

twowhat?
11-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Oh yeah, we have "floaters" too, and I don't plan on giving out gifts to them. The regular assistants are there shortly after the main teachers arrive and stay until everyone has been picked up (regular teacher leaves in the afternoon). They always look so wiped at the end of the day and I don't blame them!!