PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about your Miele Vacuum

SunshineWedding
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Looking for a new vacuum and have heard great things about the Miele and would love some reviews - what model, where was it purchased etc.

TIA

stinkyfeet
11-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I have had the Miele Callisto with the power carpet head for the past few years and love it, I purchased from an authorized local dealer bc I could negotiate a better price (although Costco online had an awesome deal a few months back, but they are now sold out).

Ideally you are supposed to change the HEPA filter every year ($50) and get it serviced for maintenance every 2 years (flat fee usually) so it can get pricey. I feel keeping it serviced keeps everything running smoothly though (like servicing your car keeps everything in good condition).

I like the bags a lot because it keeps all of the dust and debris contained. It takes us a long time to fill our bag (no pets, but I shed a lot of hair).

zukeypur
11-20-2013, 11:36 AM
I have the http://http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/S8380.htmlMiele cat and dog. I bought it locally and upgraded to the bigger power brush with the light. The local store gave me $50 for trading in my old Kirby, and I needed a vacuum immediately. As a bonus, orange is my favorite color. :)

We have mostly hardwoods (an area rug is the only carpet downstairs) and tile down, and carpet upstairs. We do have 2 dogs that don't shed much, and four long haired girls in the house. We also have over 20 large oak trees on our lot, so I vacuum at least 2 times per day to get all the leaves that blow in. I'm on bag #3 and I bought the vacuum in August. I love the hard floor brush for downstairs and the power brush on the carpet upstairs. It also came with a smaller bristled brush that is perfect for the stairs. The on board tools are fantastic. My only complaint is that the power head sometimes gets clogged with my long hair and the super-shedding long Pyle pottery barn rug. It's not a big deal to unclog it though, and there are a million positives that outweigh that one negative.

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
My grandma had an old Miele Flamenco canister and it worked quite well. She had it for probably 15 yrs. before she died in 2012 and it was still working so my aunt (that have it to her) took it and it is still working.

My parents have a Miele Stick Broom and the thing is awful, my dad bought it in 2000 I think and it has always been underwhelming.

When I was looking for a vacuum in 2007 the upright Miele I wanted was over or close to $700 and for not having a lot of carpet I just couldn't justify the expense. They have some more cheaper models now, but at the time we ended up choosing a Dyson All Floors set from Costco for less than $500 and we got a nice assortment of extra brushes as well.

indigo99
11-20-2013, 12:18 PM
We also have the Callisto canister. My family always used upright vacuums so it's taken some getting used to. (DH is European and had only ever used canister vacs).

What I LOVE LOVE about it is that I can turn the nozzle on the hardwood attachment so that the handle/tube will lay flat on the floor and allows me to vacuum all the way under the couch. The carpet brush head is taller, but the handle will still go down flat behind it so we can vacuum under some of our bookcases, beds, chairs, and dressers.

The only thing that I really have found to dislike was the price, but I'll get over that as long as it doesn't break any time soon. We've had it about 4 years so far.

eta: I think ours came from allergy buyers club online, but I don't see that model on their site now.

JdrKuhnert
11-20-2013, 06:35 PM
I had a Miele for years in Germany and was quite happy with it until I moved here. When I started vacuuming my rugs after our move, they were full of dirt. I was shocked at how dirty they were. I vacuum multiple times a week and there should not have been so much dirt in them.
Instead of replacing my Miele, I did some research. I ended up buying a Sebo K2 from the website of a Chicago vacuum seller. www.bestvacuum.com They ship overnight for free and have great customer service. After I placed my order, online they called me back and made some recommendations. The site also has buying guides.

squimp
11-20-2013, 07:34 PM
I have had my Miele canister for 10 years and I still adore it. We have mostly hardwoods, and it works fantastically. I have the power brush head and the hardwood tool and use both. I went the the local store and had them match me up with the right vacuum, and I timed my purchase with a sale.

lele
11-21-2013, 04:38 AM
I have a Miele, but it is a European model and it is awful! I don't understand the love for them...I'm hoping that this is just a bad model and that the ones in the US are better? Mine is a canister and really feels under-powered compared to my Dyson back home. I can't wait to get rid of it one day. The bags are nice though--but pricey.

Kindra178
11-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Love my Miele Topaz. We upgraded the filter in it to HEPA. Props for that Chicago vacuum store cited. They have the best cs I have ever encountered.