PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Moms

arivecchi
11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Is 6 too old to get started in hockey? DS1 did the learn to skate program last winter and he is debating whether to start the hockey program right now. A lot of his friends who do hockey are already in hockey teams so is he better off trying something else? I really don't know what to tell him and he's not 100% sure he wants to do it. I'd like for him to at least learn to skate well though. He does do a lot of other sports though, which is another consideration.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Not a hockey mom but a friend started her ds in 2nd grade. My Canadian friend that he and all the kids he knew started by age 4 on hockey teams.
I never introduced the hockey idea...way too early in the morning for my tastes. The kids' teams around here meet at 5:30-6:30am. No way.

icunurse
11-20-2013, 11:38 AM
My friend always says to get them started on the ice by 3. Sounds crazy, I know. But she has raised a national level figure skater and two college level (and trying to get into professional) hockey players. Personally, I think if your DS is motivated and enjoys hockey and you aren't looking for professional greatness, let him play.

wellyes
11-20-2013, 11:46 AM
No, it's not too old. Not even close. Lots of rinks (at least here in MA) offer learn-to-skate lessons with a hockey orientation that are designed for kids 5-6, so I think it's a pretty normal time to start. I'd sign up for one of those with a plan to join a team in fall if he likes it.

Having said that, being a hockey mom does not sound like loads of fun to me.... those rinks are cold, games are at stupid early hours, it's expensive because there's lots of equipment plus ice time. But, if he tries skating and loves it, it is a good sport to play because he can play his whole life (like basketball, unlike football). My husband still plays 2-3 nights per week and he's 35.

My friend always says to get them started on the ice by 3. Sounds crazy, I know. But she has raised a national level figure skater and two college level (and trying to get into professional) hockey players. Personally, I think if your DS is motivated and enjoys hockey and you aren't looking for professional greatness, let him play.

My 3 year old is in a learn-to-skate program right now, and mostly the kid in the class sit on the ice. Sometimes they stand up for a few minutes, then fall down.

ECMom
11-20-2013, 12:12 PM
No, it's not too late (never too late)! Most areas have a learn to play hockey program that supplies the equipment for free. I'd sign him up to see if he likes it. Also, the early games & practices are for younger kids. As they get older, they move to later times, which is worse IMO (until they can drive themselves). My son is now a pee wee (11-12 yrs) & practices 7:15-8:15 pm so we don't we home until close to 9:00. At the younger ages, his practice started between 5:00-5:30 pm and his earliest games started 7:00-7:30 am.

Meatball Mommie
11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Definitely not too late. That's a pretty average time in our area. Some earlier but most around ages 5-7.

I agree with PP's - the good times (early afternoon to evening and normal times on weekends) are reserved for the youngest kids. My oldest is 10 and he's just now having 7:30 pm practices. Both kids have had the 6 am practice or game on the weekends for a while. Typically in our area, Learn to Play stuff is around 4:30 or 5:30 in the afternoon and then 10 am or so on Saturday morning.

Good luck - being a hockey mom is fun! You'll acquire warm weather gear for the rinks and they are better than freezing your butt off at a soccer field in the rain!!!

Momit
11-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Is the issue that his friends are on more competitive teams so he won't be able to play with them?

The hockey program at our rink has their pre hockey learning program for age 3-6 or 4-7, then the actual league starts at 7. So he would be on the older side but not "too old" for sure. I think every sport has kids who started learning at 3 then tons more who join in at 5 or 6.

mikeys_mom
11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
DS had a few friends who joined around age 6 and they have been fine. Some did a couple of weeks of summer hockey camp to catch up to the same level as the other kids in the league.

smilequeen
11-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Not at all :) He might take a short time to catch up to kids who have been playing since 4, but then it won't even matter. They catch up fast. My brother started playing at 9 and played Division 1 college hockey, so...;) Mine both did Learn to Play in K and played on a team in 1st grade. There are definitely kids who start later than them.

You know how I feel about being a hockey mom :) I love it. Sometimes I curse on Saturday morning at 8 AM practice and last night Simon had an 8 PM practice, but generally our times are decent at this age. I don't mind the cold rink...nothing some Uggs, a big down jacket, and a cup of coffee can't fix.

baileygirl
11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
I don't think he is too old at all! My boys (4&6) both play, and love it. My 4 year-old is in minimites and there are 6 year-olds in it. My nephew is 10 and started playing last year (no prior skating experience) and he enjoys it.

mom2binsd
11-20-2013, 05:32 PM
He will still be a mini mite and I've seen some kids start at that age and do very well, they are strong enough to skate well and follow coaching direction..... Not all kids come out of the womb holding a hockey stick... Although it seems like mine did.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

marinkitty
11-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Not at all. Lots of kids around here start then. I think mine both started playing hockey at 5, but 6 isn't any different, really. Don't let the extremes get you down - there are people that feel that way in every sport (kids must play by x age; kids need to be on the field/ice/court every day year round etc). Ice time matters, but if you get him on now he will catch up in no time to the pack.

arivecchi
11-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear he still has time to try it out!

alirebco
11-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Most of the teams start at 5 here. My son is in Mites and it is his first year. He is 6 in December. Most of the kids were on the ice learning to skate before but some were not. I think it's best to get separate ice time for learning to skate though. We are doing separate skating lesson right now and those have been really helpful