PDA

View Full Version : Does your older girl (8+) take their American Girl (or other doll) w/them everywhere?

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 02:33 PM
DD1 (7/1/2) will often take her Marie Grace AG doll in the car with us but it always stays in the car except for overnight visits, even for family events it stays at home or in the car (trunk). The other day we were at a mall in a middle to upper class city in North Orange County and a girl who looked to be 10 or 11 was holding her AG doll. It seemed odd to me. I would get it if it was a 7 or 8 yr. old girl or even younger and or older kids if we were at the mall where the AG store is, but at a regular random mall or store it just seemed odd or a little young. Do your older girls take their dolls with them?

BabyBearsMom
11-20-2013, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't assume she is 10 or 11. People constantly assume my 3.5 year old is 5 years old. It can be really stressful because they expect her to act like a 5 year old and I get a lot of crap about how she is very immature (she is not) for "her age". I even had someone tell me that DD1 was behind (she is not) developmentally and I should get IE ASAP because the person assumed DD1 was 1.5 yrs older than she is. I try not to guess the age of other people's children or question their choices based on my perception of the child's age.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-20-2013, 02:51 PM
i don't have older kids, but i stopped playing with dolls around 8 or so. i was 10 or 11 when American Girl first came out, but i thought i was way too old for them at that point (at that age I was more into nail polish, wet-n wild lipstick, Guess jeans, and whatnot :bag). i know many though still like dolls into their teens..my MIL, for one. But in her case there are more like collectibles she kept on display in her house, not something she carried around

I personally think it strange for 11yo to be carrying a doll out at a mall, but different strokes for different folks i guess...i guess that's better than hanging around the mall alone iwth friends, all wearing Daisy Dukes (i see a lot of that here, and my dh sort of dies a little inside every time he sees that, and insists he'll lock DD inside the house if she ever wore that sort of thing, but i digress).

and yeah its hard to gauge ages on random kids. when DS was 2, people thought he was 4-5 all the time. He had an amazing vocabulary and is pretty tall. Doesn't have much "baby fat" (like my DD has), was very independent (likes to walk on his own) so he always looked older than he was. Once when he was 2.5 a cashier asked if he was going to kindergarten. I do get the vibe of people wondering why he doesn't behave or stay quiet and i'm pretty sure they assume he's older than he really is.

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh she was about 5'-5'2" tall and seemed very mature like a 10-11 yr. old walking with a mom in a mall. I am 5'6" and she wasn't that much shorter than I am. I could be completely wrong but I think she was much older than 8 or 9. I just wondered if this was a trend of older girls taking their AG dolls with them everywhere and something I have to look forward to. I was not intentionally digging on anyone who does either, just not what I am used to if it is a trend.

I have a taller than average 3/1/2 yr. old as well (who also wears glasses so I think she looks older too) so I do get it.

Ms. Pacman, I was 9 or 10 when my 6 or 7 yr. old neighbor got Samantha and I knew $75-$80 was a lot to spend on a doll anf I knew I was on the older spectrum for dolls. AG dolls still weren't as well known as Barbie or Cabbage Patch so when I was 9 or 10 I got a Cabbage Patch World Traveller Doll, but it never went to the mall with me. My sister got her 3 AG dolls at 7, 8 or 9, and 10 or 11. They have all been in their stand since she was 12. There were way less accessories for them as well, but I have read blogs of adults or older teens who have love for AG as well and still pose them around accessories.

vonfirmath
11-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I know some adults who are comfortable taking their dolls out into public for a reason.

Maybe she's taking pictures to make a video blog online.

I like seeing girls who are comfortable in their own skin and don't worry so much about what others are thinking about them.

egoldber
11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't think it's a trend, but I do think that some girls are just REALLY into it. They will likely be the type of girls that become adult collectors KWIM? Everyone has their thing that seems odd to other people. :) So I agree that it's unusual, but I don't think it's wacky odd either.

When the AG store store at Tysons opened a couple years ago, I was there opening day with my DDs. There was a pair of teens walking around the store with their dolls having a good time looking at all the displays. I also saw a few other girls who were clearly 13+ with a doll.

Twoboos
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Sometimes DDs (8 and 10) bring them places but they stay in the car, mostly b/c I don't want to end up carrying them around, LOL.

They are coming with us on vacation next week, which makes me crazy. Especially since I have to monitor how much AG stuff gets packed and then make sure it all gets repacked to go home - I mean seriously they could have their own suitcases!

egoldber
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I mean seriously they could have their own suitcases!

Well, you know, they make those. :)

Twoboos
11-20-2013, 02:59 PM
well, you know, they make those. :)

hush! ;)

maestramommy
11-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Our girls have the Hearts for Hearts dolls. DD1 is 8 and does take Consuelo with her to a lot of places. A lot of times she will leave them in the car because it isn't practical to bring them out (like, to ballet class), but if possible yes, they bring them along.

sariana
11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
I know a girl who was nearly 6 feet tall in 3rd grade. Someone commented on her attire at a birthday party, and I had to point out she was only 8 or 9. It was assumed she was a teenager! Her family is Scandinavian.

I played with Barbie dolls well into my teens, but not in public. But I don't think it's odd that a girl that age would have one. It could have been a gift for someone. She could have had developmental delays. Or she could just march to her own drummer. Good for her, I say!

I am debating getting an 18" doll for almost-6 DD (from Santa). I think she would love it.

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Sariana, 6 is the perfect age for an 18" doll. DD1 who was never much into dolls before that loves her AG doll.

Wow, a 6' tall 8 yr. old is tall. Just from the little glimpse of the girl in the 7-16 area of the store she didn't seem delayed and seemed 10-11, maybe 9, but definitely not 7 or 8.

squimp
11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
I have a 10-yo DD and I don't think it's odd.

elliput
11-20-2013, 03:37 PM
My tall 8 yo DD doesn't have an American Girl doll, but she does take her pink stuffed dragon with her everywhere- school, shopping, zoo, hiking in the mountains, etc.

mom2khj
11-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Does the mall have an AG store? ETA - sorry I re-read and see that it doesn't.

DD1 still loves her AG dolls (in fact she's been more into them this past 6 months than ever). She's asking for Molly for Christmas. However, I don't think she'd ever bring them into a store except if she was going to the AG store.

citymama
11-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't let DD1 take her AG dolls anywhere other than grandma's house or to a friend's for a play date. Too darn pricey to lose or get damaged! We are going to the store this weekend so she may take one with her, but that's it.

Much to my surprise, I've seen a girl at DD1's school, younger than her, take her AG doll to school in coordinating outfits. Adorable, but not sure what the parents were thinking. First, all the notices from school clearly say "no toys from home." Second, that's a pretty spendy toy to send to school and risk losing/damaging!

I certainly don't think it's odd for a 10 year old to take her doll with her, but as a parent I would be keeping an eagle eye on it!

ETA My 12 year old niece and DH's 11-13 year old cousins still love their AG dolls. The intended age range is 8-12, but younger and older girls than that also play with them. That's what I love about AG dolls - they're age appropriate and don't relegate doll and imaginative play to something that only little kids do. We don't need them to grow up too soon! 10 year olds are still very young in the scheme of things.

boolady
11-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Sariana, 6 is the perfect age for an 18" doll.

According to whom? Yes, my DD has been into them since she was 6, actually a few months before, but there are plenty of girls in our neighborhood and our circle of friends who are still very into AG and they are 9 or 10. The dolls are actually labeled for ages 8 and up. I realize that kids generally start playing with them a few years before that.

DD doesn't take her doll with her places, usually, but I don't know why someone else should care, or label it odd, if she did, even a few years from now.

sariana
11-20-2013, 04:38 PM
According to whom? Yes, my DD has been into them since she was 6, actually a few months before, but there are plenty of girls in our neighborhood and our circle of friends who are still very into AG and they are 9 or 10. The dolls are actually labeled for ages 8 and up. I realize that kids generally start playing with them a few years before that.

DD doesn't take her doll with her places, usually, but I don't know why someone else should care, or label it odd, if she did, even a few years from now.

She was responding to my post about getting my almost-6-year-old daughter her FIRST 18" doll, not making commentary about girls in general. She was just validating my thoughts about this being the perfect time to get DD her first 18" doll (probably from Santa). It likely won't be an AG doll, but that could be next if she does well with a "knock-off" doll.

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
She was responding to my post about getting my almost-6-year-old daughter her FIRST 18" doll, not making commentary about girls in general. She was just validating my thoughts about this being the perfect time to get DD her first 18" doll (probably from Santa). It likely won't be an AG doll, but that could be next if she does well with a "knock-off" doll.
:yeahthat: Most if my cousins, my neighbor, my sister and kids we know now know as parents have all gotten them between 6 and 10 and I think the 8+ is a little conservative (except for the hair thing, DD1 has me brush the hair). We did know a few kids in play group who got them at 4 yrs. old and the moms loved their girls having them, but the DH's (ESP. the one who had to search for lost doll shoes at a concert in the park) thought it was too young.

crayonblue
11-20-2013, 05:28 PM
My 9 year old doesn't take her AG dolls anywhere. They permanently reside on top of her dresser. Her 3 year old sister is just dying to climb up there and carry them anywhere and everywhere!

lfp2n
11-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I have a 10.5 DD and I don't find it odd. She wouldn't feel self conscious about it. I'm dreading that we have to take them and all their stuff to NY for TG on train and the UK by plane at Xmas.

KrisM
11-20-2013, 08:13 PM
DD is 7.5 and takes hers around. Her 11 yo cousin does as well.

I have a friend who has a 9 year old who is 5'6". He's a boy, but still. Her 6 year old is 4'8", which is taller than my 9 yo.

Pennylane
11-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Neither of my dd's would carry them out of the house, they are 8 and 11. My 11 yr old still enjoys dressing up her dolls and organizing all their stuff .

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

kbud
11-20-2013, 11:15 PM
I think it's wonderful that a 10 year old girl would carry an AG doll around! Girls are being pushed to grow up too fast. My DD 9 (almost 10) and 6 have 2 AG dolls each. They flew on the many flights with us this summer. The funniest thing is when they had daddy "babysit" on the plan. The buckled both AG dolls up in seats next to DH on the plane. It was hilarious! My girls go through stages. Sometimes the dolls go lots of places with them, other times not so much. I sure hope my oldest is still interested in taking her doll with her as I bought many matching outfits doll outfits for them for xmas. Just yesterday DD#1 was pointing out that the AG boxes said for 8 and older.

KpbS
11-21-2013, 01:16 AM
I think it's wonderful that a 10 year old girl would carry an AG doll around! Girls are being pushed to grow up too fast.

I totally agree.

ExcitedMamma
11-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Annie I understand where you're coming from with your question. I thought the same thing when I saw a girl with her doll at the mall, no AG store here either. No idea how old she was, my kids are so young I can't differentiate elementary school ages yet, but it wasn't a judgmental thought just a huh are girls doing this now? I don't remember girls taking dolls out in public when I was little so I was wondering if it was a trend too. I feel like that's what you meant and didn't take it to mean you didn't approve or anything. I think it's great if it is a trend. I absolutely hate society forcing kids, especially girls, to grow up too fast. I get irate when I see little girls dressing provocatively and usually they are out with their parents so if its not a trend I hope it becomes one!