PDA

View Full Version : Another paint color question

TwoBees
11-20-2013, 09:20 PM
With this bedding set, would you paint the room a pale turquoise or a pale yellow?
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/hayley-nursery-bedding-set/?pkey=e%7Chayley%7C10%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

crl
11-20-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm not seeing any tourquiose in there. Maybe it's my screen? I'm also seeing just a tiny bit of what might be yellow, but maybe it is cream? Again maybe my screen. I would pull a color from the bedding. I think a pale pink would be pretty.

Catherine

Corie
11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm not seeing any tourquiose in there. Maybe it's my screen? I'm also seeing just a tiny bit of what might be yellow, but maybe it is cream? Again maybe my screen. I would pull a color from the bedding. I think a pale pink would be pretty.

Catherine

Totally agree with everything that Catherine said.

specialp
11-20-2013, 10:05 PM
I voted yellow. I like to coordinate the wall with the bed, not necessarily match it and I think yellow would do that well plus any accessories you might pull - blue, pink, green - would look great against yellow. On my screen, the blue in the bedding looks more like a cornflower blue that would clash with turquoise.

ETA: I would like a blue, but not a turquoise.

mackmama
11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I would prob do turquoise. I think yellow could look too "sweet" if that makes sense. Pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

egoldber
11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Well personally, I would pick the wall color I want and then pick bedding to coordinate. But I hate to paint and consider that more "permanent" than bedding. :)

If it were me, with that bedding, I would pick a pale green.

Indianamom2
11-20-2013, 10:43 PM
I'll say a pale blue. I'm not sure the blue in the bedding is turquoise, but if it is, go for it. DD currently has a pale pink/pale green/white quilt in her room and the walls are light blue. (This quilt was added later). Still, it works just fine. I think the yellow will be too "blah" with all the other lighter colors.

TwoBees
11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the input. Entirely not sure what I want to do with the walls.

Well personally, I would pick the wall color I want and then pick bedding to coordinate. But I hate to paint and consider that more "permanent" than bedding. :)

If it were me, with that bedding, I would pick a pale green.

I didn't intend to do it "backwards". I've actually been trying to decide between the two colors, and just today I saw the bedding online and thought it would work. But maybe not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

crl
11-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Well, standard decorating advice is to pick a fabric and pull a color from it for the paint, because paint comes in any color. I have been known to choose the paint first because I get an idea stuck in my head, but it can be harder to find bedding to work then.

Catherine

ETA: if you like tourquise, this search has some tourquise nurseries: http://www.houzz.com/Turquoise-nursery

ilfaith
11-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Well, standard decorating advice is to pick a fabric and pull a color from it for the paint, because paint comes in any color. [/url]

I've done that with furniture upholstery, but not bedding, which just seems much more temporary...especially nursery bedding.

I tend to think of yellow as slightly more neutral than turquoise.

egoldber
11-20-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't think either way is right or wrong. I just meant that's not how I think about things. :) Although frankly we picked colors for the girls walls without any regard for bedding at all, so shows what I know. ;)

crl
11-21-2013, 02:16 AM
I've done that with furniture upholstery, but not bedding, which just seems much more temporary...especially nursery bedding.

I tend to think of yellow as slightly more neutral than turquoise.

Yeah, you can do it with anything, a rug, a piece of art, fabric, whatever. I use a favorite piece of art to set the color scheme for our living room. For bedrooms, people often say to pick the bedding first because paint comes in every possible color, where bedding has more limited choices. I don't necessarily do it that way, but it is common decorating advice. And if you have already chosen bedding, I would for sure use it as a starting point in choosing the wall colors.

Of course I also think of wall color as temporary. Paint is not all that expensive and walls need to be repainted at some point anyway. (So says the woman who painted every room in her first house and some twice over the course of seven years. . . . )

Catherine

ETA link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/06/color-mistakes_n_4224926.html

egoldber
11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Of course I also think of wall color as temporary. Paint is not all that expensive and walls need to be repainted at some point anyway. (So says the woman who painted every room in her first house and some twice over the course of seven years. . . .

:ROTFLMAO: We lived in our last house for 12 years and didn't paint a single wall. Which is why I insisted to DH that we hire a painter to come in and paint all the rooms in the new house (from the builder white) before we moved in!

zukeypur
11-21-2013, 09:23 AM
I greatly dislike yellow and think that blue is a nice soothing color, so I would go with some shade of blue that compliments the bedding. My bedroom walls are dark gray and there is no gray in my bedding, but it compliments the bedding and looks nice (IMO).

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm also not at all a yellow fan. I'd pick a periwinkle, gray or sone pretty blue or green color.

eta- I couldn't get this to open on Tapatalk so I tried to find the bedding based on the key words in the link...I pulled up the wrong bedding. I would go with a spring green, muted a bit or a tan.

egoldber
11-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Looking at it on a better screen :) I think that a pale gray with undertones of pink or purple would look really pretty. We have SW Unique Gray in my girls' bathroom and it's gray with lavender undertones and is very pretty.

alootikki
11-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I can see blue accents in the bedding. I love baby girls' rooms that are blue - I painted DD's nursery BM Misty Blue - a very pretty soft blue. It may go with your bedding too!

squimp
11-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I see a pale blue also, that could be nice. Either pale blue or soft green.

lizzywednesday
11-21-2013, 11:44 AM
I have that (toddler) bedding for my DD; it would work with a pale yellow, but the blue in the design is more of a sky blue than it is a turquoise, so I wouldn't choose that.

Honestly, it did just fine in our house - we have canteloupe orange walls in DD's bedroom!

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
I have that (toddler) bedding for my DD; it would work with a pale yellow, but the blue in the design is more of a sky blue than it is a turquoise, so I wouldn't choose that.

Honestly, it did just fine in our house - we have canteloupe orange walls in DD's bedroom!

If you could pick any color to go with that bedding, what would you choose?

janine
11-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes to pale blue or an aqua blue (is it a girl?). I see some pale blue in the bedding so that would be close enough, I like blue/pinks etc for girls, much better than Yellow as backdrop which is just so so.

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes to pale blue or an aqua blue (is it a girl?). I see some pale blue in the bedding so that would be close enough, I like blue/pinks etc for girls, much better than Yellow as backdrop which is just so so.

It's for a girl.

crl
11-21-2013, 01:50 PM
If you google pictures Hayley bedding and look at the images, you will see some pictures in rooms with various wall colors. That might help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+hayley+bedding&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VEeOUqXdNaOKjAKfvoCwAQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=671

AnnieW625
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
If you live in the SW and have access to Dunn Edwards try Peaceful Rain. We have had it in DD2's room since we didn't know the sex of DD1 and we have yet to tire of it.

Or order a sample can from My Perfect Color and then have it matched at a paint store:
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/95344_Dunn-Edwards-DE5665-Peaceful-Rain

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 02:11 PM
If you live in the SW and have access to Dunn Edwards try Peaceful Rain. We have had it in DD2's room since we didn't know the sex of DD1 and we have yet to tire of it.

Or order a sample can from My Perfect Color and then have it matched at a paint store:
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/95344_Dunn-Edwards-DE5665-Peaceful-Rain

That's pretty close to another color I was looking at. Any idea if there is some sort of online comparison chart where I can find a similar Behr color (ie, right now, while I'm sitting in the office, lol!)

lizzywednesday
11-21-2013, 03:16 PM
That's pretty close to another color I was looking at. Any idea if there is some sort of online comparison chart where I can find a similar Behr color (ie, right now, while I'm sitting in the office, lol!)

Hmm ... it looks like it's between Behr "Dinner Mint" and "Breath of Spring"